Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Props in Class — Parallax Forums

Props in Class

deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
edited 2007-10-12 00:48 in Propeller 1
A first cycle of my class about using micro controllers will come to an end tomorrow, Participants had been programmers, with elctronics background, but either from times long ago or of a very theoretical kind.

What have I learned for the next cycle?

(A) We started with 8 Edu-Kits. These Kits are extremely fine, and even affordable @ 20 pcs. They released me from compiling a quite complex shopping list. I additionally just needed a few CMOS SSI chips to start with (for pre-investigation of I/O behavior without endangering the Prop ), some low cost voltage meters, wire cutters, tweezers, and turnscrews completed the equipment.

(B) It all takes longer than you think, getting acquainted with the breadboards, many misunderstandings, errors. But could be checked and fixed within the class, comparing what worked against what not worked.

In the first place you should not expect that the installation of the Propeller Kit and the USB driver will work eight times. We succeeded after half an hour, but it remained unclear what the issues really had been...

(C) An oscilloscope should be used by the teacher , preferrable an USB box the output of which could be beamed through the PC. To have one for each student was out of the question for budget reasons, but I also doubt it will improve the situation in a beginner's group

(D) Chapter 1 of the Manual turned out to be unreadable. Chapter 2 and 3 were fine for self study. But the persons that started from the beginning dispaired. Lots of detailed technical information about clocks and crystals... They started WITHOUT EEPROM and crystals in the first place. The "piece de resistance" finally was the description of the interleaved character set.

(E) After six weeks now: Two dead Props (of eight) :-(
But lots of parts the usage of which still to be discovered for after class projects smile.gif

Post Edited (deSilva) : 10/9/2007 10:30:54 PM GMT

Comments

• D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-10-09 22:34
    Just curious, how did they die?· What happened to them (as a precaution to others)

About the software: it is amazing how computers can be fo fickle (though they have the same software)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    LOOKDOWN ThisThread, [noparse][[/noparse]Your_?, My_?, Cool_Thing], looknum
    LOOKUP looknum, [noparse][[/noparse]1, 2, 3], subnum
    ON subnum GOTO Hope_this_helps, Thanks!, WOW!!
    END 

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-09 22:48
    D Faust said...
    Just curious, how did they die? What happened to them
    ROFL
    Sorry, but you sound like a father, asking in the evening:" So I see the boy again bruised his knees! What did he do all the day?"

The precaution is simple: Buy more Props smile.gif
    edited 2007-10-09 23:25
    blush.gif·Of course! blush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    END 

• ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-10-09 23:49
    Sounds like fun, deSilva, where are you teaching these classes? - Can "ordinary" people sign up, or is it at some kind of elite university? wink.gif
  • TheWizard65TheWizard65 Posts: 91
    edited 2007-10-09 23:53
    ouch, i felt that here in ohio. jumpin.giffreaked.gifyeah.gif
    edited 2007-10-10 00:27
    Clemens said...
    Sounds like fun, deSilva, where are you teaching these classes? - Can "ordinary" people sign up, or is it at some kind of elite university? wink.gif

No, it's people like you and me smile.gif
    But it is in Hamburg, Germany smile.gifsmile.gif
    And: "Man sprikt Deutsch" smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
    edited 2007-10-10 00:46
    Are the·hamburgers good there?· LOLtongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    END 

edited 2007-10-10 00:56
    Well, we have "Amerikaner" in the afternoon en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_white_cookie though this seems a little bit OT...

The explanation in the wikipedia is wrong BTW.

Baking powder generally contains Natriumhydrogencarbonate, but for "Amerikaner" (= Black and White Cookies)
    Ammoniumhydrogencarbonate is used, which during the baking process will issue ammonia:

NH4HCO3 --> NH3 + H2O + CO2

Thus they were called "Ammoniakaner" for a short time, easily leading to "Amerikaner"

Post Edited (deSilva) : 10/10/2007 2:01:48 AM GMT
    edited 2007-10-10 01:23
    Cool!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    END 

• ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-10-10 01:37
    That's not that far form Berlin if one has a Bahncard, is it? LOL
    Can you keep us informed when your next courses start and what you will focus on?
    I personally would be interested in learning some basic electronic concepts because I am very reluctant to just wire up things and see what happens (in contrary to programming where it is usually safe to just try out things). Maybe that is why I havn't killed any prop so far - knock on wood.
    Examples, what I'd be interested in:
    1. That sigma delta AD-conversion thing with a microphone... I have wired everything just like the demoboard, but get very scratchy funny sounding echoes when I try Beau Schwabe's Microphone to headphone object.
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=217193
    2. Some knowledge about audio generation. How do I get Multiple notes out of one speaker, how do I generate a sawtooth or a sine wave in assembler.
    3. How do I wire up my IR-Led to control my Camera over greater distances than 10 Centimeters with the IR-Object.
    (...) and all these things that you shoudn't try at home, if you don't know what you are doing.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-10-10 01:43
    I'm nearly 1/2 the way through my 300 level college course in our electronics technology degree using the Propeller. Last semester I tried using the Prop manual - way to much detail, not enough to really explore.

I am using Demo boards to keep hardware setup time to minimum, and get quicker to the fun stuff.

This semester we are using the Hydra text, though it was backordered at the start of the semester and we spent 4 weeks doing some of the PEK labs with the demo board (actually worked out very well!).

I got them started with video early so they could use it in projects and such.

We've done a couple long projects - one was to make a controllable tone generator using Spin - They had to tweak the code to find get the frequency right, and they found the limits of spin and WAITCNTS. The video had to display the correct frequency being produced. From this they had to draw their schematics of what exactly was needed for prop hardware and layout a PCB (I'll select one to have produced). This expored using mutiple cogs too (one to watch the tone control buttons and display, one to produce the tone)

The next project was to use a 74xx165 shift register and write spin code to shift in a byte of data serially. They had one brainstorming day-session to discuss how the 165 worked, how to interface, come up with psuedo-code that should do the trick, etc. Then spent several sessions making it work. This was brought about by having a lesson the NES controllers from the hydra text. They had to roll their code into an object.

They have long term outstanding participation points to discuss infromation they see in forums and to select one thing they see on forums/object exchange to explore and demonstrate on their own. Hi Guys if you see this!

All in all, I'm having fun teaching with the prop and using this text and Andy's labs, and I really enjoy not having to spend 2 months just discussing dozens of registers in 8051/AVR/PIC style controllers and be able to start interfacing and controlling quickly with flair!

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting Software
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies

Post Edited (Martin Hebel) : 10/11/2007 12:05:59 AM GMT
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-10 02:16
    speaking of ruining propellers...a colleague of mine bought 5 proto boards. Ended up destroying four of them and replacing the chip on three of those four before finally getting a working product. One of them died after he soldered two resistors on the board! I thought these chips were supposed to be static resistant. He worked on a antistat mat and everything... Worst luck with any product I've ever seen.

I bought a proto board for my project, did all kinds of things to it, wasn't that careful about static, and mine still works! go figure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
    edited 2007-10-10 02:22
    I envy you Martin, having that time to work with your students. I am extremely time limited:
    The basic class is 6 x 2.5 hours, lot of time lost for not done homework or having been off the last session smile.gif

They start from the beginning, and are assumed to learn Propeller Tool and SPIN from the Manual, which is quite doable for people with a programmer's background. We in fact have a stronger electronics focus than I had intended., but not much time to do it thoroughly.

I chose a solderless breadboard for three reasons.
    - Soldering was out!
    - I wanted them to be really close to the hardware
    - Budget was limited to €100 per person

I was aware of the time consuming issues with breadboards, but they turned out being not so relevant.
    In fact the next two classes will use presoldered "modules" similar to the things Parts-Man does, but for breadboards only. Someone - maybe even Franz - posted a link to a supplier ( www.conelek.de ) where such parts are available, but one can make them for 10% of their price. So configuring a "board" is just plugging in 3 or 4 "modules" (power, Video, EEPROM/chrystal) - or 5 or 6.

An "advanced" class will follow in 2008

Post Edited (deSilva) : 10/10/2007 2:27:15 AM GMT
    edited 2007-10-10 02:37
    Wow, not much time at all. We use to have an associated lab time with the course, but it was too much a time cruch on students and not enough could sign up, so I've been really pushing the labs for homework hard this semester. Students did end up jumping over to a larger breadboard for the 295 and switches. The plug-in idea for the breadboards is a nice idea. I've had one demo board fail that I can't afford to replace to replace right now.

Thanks for the input, fun stuff!
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-10-10 14:54
    I keep you informed... When (If?) Franz Achatz turns up again we shall disclose some astonishing things - I hope smile.gif
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-10 22:05
    What's your recommendation on which chips to learn to use first? (I see only the 74xx295 mentioned.) Can you recommend a nominal group of chips that would serve as a good basic introduction?
    edited 2007-10-10 22:47
    I use HC chips in the first place, as they easily connect to 3 and 5 V logic and show that typical high-impedance behaviour of most microcontrollers. So the first shock comes when connecting two push buttons to an NAND gate smile.gif

(1) This being a 74HC00, obviously.
    Then we discuss caps and make an oscillator out of two (or three) HC00.
    The other two chips used are a 74HC4040 to divide that clock and a 74HC42 BCD-10 decoder. The first afternoon will stop with each one having built the most important part of a computer: a sequencer! The rest is trivia smile.gif

(2) If we had more time we would also use a HC164 (SIPO) and a HC166 (PISO) or maybe their 5xx counterparts.

(3) There are also sidetracks walkable using a 74HC4049 which has some interesting output features, and can be used as a poor man's opamp.

(4) Another time consuming investigations could involve a Schmitt trigger (HC40106 e.g.). Additional latches or buffers are of minor relevance; latches can be discussed with the shift registers, and 4049 are fine buffers.

(5) Thinking about that: Yes, there should also be a section about "drivers", maybe ULN2803, but especially open drain applications - but this is no longer "logic"...

Post Edited (deSilva) : 10/11/2007 12:41:14 AM GMT
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2007-10-10 23:09
    Martin Hebel said...
    I'm nearly 1/2 the way through my 300 level college course in our electronics technology degree using the Propeller. Last semester I tried using the Prop manual - way to much detail, not enough to really explore.

I am using Demo boards to keep hardware setup time to minimum, and get quicker to the fun stuff.

This semester we are using the Hydra text, though it was backordered at the start of the semester and we spent 4 weeks doing some of the PEK labs with the demo board (actually worked out very well!).

I got them started with video early so they could use it in projects and such.

We've done a couple long projects - one was to make a controllable tone generator using Spin - They had to tweak the code to find get the frequency right, and they found the limits of spin and WAITCNTS. The video had to display the correct frequency being produced. From this they had to draw their schematics of what exactly was needed for prop hardware and layout a PCB (I'll select one to have produced). This expored using mutiple cogs too (one to watch the tone control buttons and display, one to produce the tone)

The next project was to use a 74xx295 shift register and write spin code to shift in a byte of data serially. They had one brainstorming day-session to discuss how the 295 worked, how to interface, come up with psuedo-code that should do the trick, etc. Then spent several sessions making it work. This was brought about by having a lesson the NES controllers from the hydra text. They had to roll their code into an object.

They have long term outstanding participation points to discuss infromation they see in forums and to select one thing they see on forums/object exchange to explore and demonstrate on their own. Hi Guys if you see this!

All in all, I'm having fun teaching with the prop and using this text and Andy's labs, and I really enjoy not having to spend 2 months just discussing dozens of registers in 8051/AVR/PIC style controllers and be able to start interfacing and controlling quickly with flair!

-Martin

Martin,

This sounds like a terrific course! I commend you for having such an open minded approach.

I wish I had something like that to choose when I was doing my CS work!

Paul
    edited 2007-10-10 23:16
    Thanks deSilva.
    When you get a chance (and inclination) I'd like to see your sequence of breadboard circuits.
    F

(Everyone else, shhhhh. I am secretly getting deSilva to write his second opus, one small step at a time)·

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 10/10/2007 11:22:09 PM GMT
    edited 2007-10-11 00:03
    Thanks Paul,
    I'm not sure what damaged brain cell I pulled the 74xx295 out of, I meant 74xx165.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-10-11 15:47
    That's a relief, the '295 datasheet stumped me completely.
  • IAN STROMEIAN STROME Posts: 49
    edited 2007-10-12 00:04
    Hi Fred,
    The 295 does exist,very obsolete,and doesn't look like
    it's available in HC, or HCT.

Best Regards
    Ian

:- Good new rarely comes in a brown envelope.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-10-12 00:41
    deSilva and Martin,

Congratulations. There is a special place in heaven for teachers.

deSilva,

By the way, I am a deSilva fan. There aren't enough real characters in this world... and YOU are a real character.

I am trying to imagine a six week course, which includes both deSilva and the first three chapters of the user manual.

If a student can't get what he needs from "Propeller Guts," he/she isn't going to be able to absorb the user manual very comfortably.
    Why not just stick to the lab notes?

As long as your course notes are complete, I guess it is ok, but I'm trying to imagine why there weren't 8 dead props, just to slow you down a little[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
    edited 2007-10-12 00:48
    That's the one. It seems like a swiss army knife of ic's looking for a job to do. (Or like the song says, it was so simple it plumb evaded me)