Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Unique 256Kbit SPI RAM memory — Parallax Forums

Unique 256Kbit SPI RAM memory

DifferentDifferent Posts: 11
edited 2007-10-11 05:29 in Propeller 1
Hello all,

I have found fine chip of the 256Kbit (32K x 8) RAM memory with SPI interface from American Microsystems: N256S0830HDA !
Such IC will save many processor's pins and will add 32KB memory for the Propeller! yeah.gif
I wish to unite 16 IC's by 4 pages for 32K x 32bit through SPI bus with 4 data lines (like high speed SD card).
Like XTREME 512K CARD! roll.gif
What you think about?

This IC's is offered by their distributor - Future Electronics. FRAM memory of the same volume is high-priced... smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Radio DELANET - modern electronics by own hands!

Post Edited (Radio DELANET) : 10/10/2007 9:12:58 AM GMT

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-09 13:29
    I've bought some i2c interface chips for extra memory. With these, I can use the 2 pins already tied up by the onboard eeprom and also add several in parallel to expand...

Plus, i2c drivers already exist in the object exchange.
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2007-10-09 13:30
    Surely 256kbit is only 32kbytes anyway so wouldn't add anything?

Anyway a 512kbit EEPROM only takes the two standard i2c programming (p28/p29) lines, and gives 64kbytes - hence an additional 32kb. Granted they are not massively fast, but you can have 8 of them per-i2c-bus.

J
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-10-09 14:46
    That is a neat ram chip. Too bad you must buy at least 100 pcs.
    Is there anyone else that sells it ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My goal is to live forever...Or die trying.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • Chad GeorgeChad George Posts: 138
    edited 2007-10-09 15:01
    I think the FRAM chips from Ramtron look cool too.

www.ramtron.com/doc/Products/Nonvolatile/Nonvolatile.asp?ID=5

No delay writes and still non-volatile. Although the down side is that there is a limit to the number of read cycles before it loses its non-volatility.
    Last I checked Ramtron's newest chips claim to be rated for trillions of reads, so this is probably enough.

Just wish more companies pursued this technology too.
  • DifferentDifferent Posts: 11
    edited 2007-10-09 16:10
    Chad George said...
    I think the FRAM chips from Ramtron look cool too.
    Sure enough. However FRAM chips is less economic and high-costs cry.gif
    Add the battery to RAM is cheaper.

This chips will be sale at retail since November... but in Russia smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-09 19:17
    Radio DELANET said...
    I wish to unite 16 IC's by 4 pages for 32K x 32bit through SPI bus with 4 data lines What you think about?

I am not quite sure I understand you:
    (a) 16 chips? That's 256k x 32bit
    (b) One bus? That means 4 select lines decoded to 1-of-16
    or
    (b') Four busses? Needing four cogs then... And it will become mre tricky with the select lines..
    (c) Lets say one bus and one COG... 20 MHz clock.. you need to send the address = 15 bits and receive 1 byte = 8 bits plus some overhead = 700 kByte/s. Access to HUB is 1 item/200 ns = 5 M items/s
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-09 19:36
    Radio DELANET,
    You could do that. That would mean 4 select lines with 4 chips on each select line. You'd need a single clock line for all and 4 data lines (one for each chip on a select line). That's 9 I/O pins. You could reduce that to 8 if you used a 2 to 4 decoder with an enable line. You'd store adjacent nibbles in successive locations in the 4 SRAMs which would be relatively easy if you used paged mode. This could be done easily in a small part of one cog's memory. For that matter, you could use Spin for testing and for applications that don't need very high speed. You could probably get 100Kbps block transfers completely in Spin.
    Mike
    edited 2007-10-10 10:55
    Mike Green,

There is enough only six wires.
    Potentially speed must be approximately 2.5MB/s for word write/read mode and up to 10MB/s in page or burst mode for this RAM module.
    I hope a Propeller (1 or 2 COGs may be) will manage the task.
    I attached some functional diagram for latch address page and first page (128KB) of all memory (512KB).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Radio DELANET) : 10/10/2007 11:21:40 AM GMT
    632 x 609 - 13K
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2007-10-11 03:07
    Hi Radio,

Can you explain what the 373 latch is for? Is it needed if you are just using 4 chips?

Thanks,
    Doug
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-11 03:53
    Better would be this latched decoder www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/philips/74HC_HCT237_CNV_2.pdf
    This would save you having to decode the address in the assembly routine. The decoder would always be enabled and you'd
    use the 3rd line to select the unused outputs so the ones attached to chips would all be disabled.

For speed, I estimate it will take 2us to send a command, 4us to send a 16 bit address, and roughly 3-3.5us to transfer each 32 bit word. For a single 32 bit word, we're talking about roughly 10us. With burst mode, the 6+us overhead is amortized across a longer transfer and the overall speed will approach 3-3.5us per word.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-10-11 05:05
    Nicely done! You will need pullups on the /CS lines, though, since those will have to come up by themselves when you raise the LATCH/ line at the end of a read sequence to terminate it..

-Phil
    edited 2007-10-11 05:09
    hinv said...
    Hi Radio,

Can you explain what the 373 latch is for? Is it needed if you are just using 4 chips?

Thanks,
    Doug
    Hi Doug,
    373 latch is for retention address of page memory.
    I have drawn only ICs N256S0830HDA for one page of memory.
    4 pages = 4 x 4 ICs N256S0830HDA
    Each page add in by the agency of signals CSx/ (where 'x' is 0, 1, 2, or 3).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-10-11 05:14
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    Nicely done! You will need pullups on the /CS lines, though, since those will have to come up by themselves when you raise the LATCH/ line at the end of a read sequence to terminate it..

-Phil
    Hi Phil,
    Yes of course!
    My diagram is only common logic structure... blush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-10-11 05:19
    Mike, the '237 outputs high selects. It would work, but you'd have to add inverters to the outputs. At least you wouldn't need the pullups pulldowns, since the outputs are always active.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 10/11/2007 5:35:47 AM GMT
    edited 2007-10-11 05:29
    Mike Green said...
    Better would be this latched decoder www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/philips/74HC_HCT237_CNV_2.pdf
    This would save you having to decode the address in the assembly routine. The decoder would always be enabled and you'd
    use the 3rd line to select the unused outputs so the ones attached to chips would all be disabled.

For speed, I estimate it will take 2us to send a command, 4us to send a 16 bit address, and roughly 3-3.5us to transfer each 32 bit word. For a single 32 bit word, we're talking about roughly 10us. With burst mode, the 6+us overhead is amortized across a longer transfer and the overall speed will approach 3-3.5us per word.
    Mike,

Probably it indeed but small number of wires and low-power is more important for me. It will be RAM module in my portable electronic device similar Palm.
    I know 74HC/HCT237 but it hase very high quiescent current... cry.gif and LVC series have not low-power 3-line to 8-line decoder/demultiplexer with address latch and enable pin.

P.S. Very thanks for advice. I only start to try Propeller but already trust its greater opportunities yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔