Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB interface will not work with Propeller IDE — Parallax Forums

USB interface will not work with Propeller IDE

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2007-10-09 18:25 in Propeller 1
Usually, Parallax is very precise about 'Quick Start' proceedures in order to make sure the user can prove his hardware is in good order.· Some how, I just cannot find a web page or a page in a book that does that with the Propeller and the related USB interface. If this is an oversight, it needs to be addressed.

When I open the Propeller IDE and request verification that Propeller Hardware is present, I get the a grey box that says, 'No Propeller found on any Port, Scanned Com1'.

Well, I really hate to ask for help on this, but I have already searched through search.parallax.com and tried reloading the USB drivers.

This was all functional with vers 0.95, but recently it wouldn't operate in v0.98, so I upgraded to the latest version with hopes that it would help.· I suspect that Microsoft somehow reconfigured my computer or Norton.· Thus, causing the failure.

I use the USB for a lot of things: scanner, CD Burner, printer, camera, USB to RS232 for the Propeller·{not working}, Propeller·Demo Board·{not working}.· So in addition to USB 1.0 ports that came with the computer, I have a USB 2.0 card.

And I keep an RS-232 port available as I use it directly with the BasicStamps and other devices.· That is working okay.

The Propeller Demo Board lights up - all of them, red, blue, green and yellow. Hitting reset doesn't seem to do anything.

Please advise.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-09 12:16
    Well, I made the stupid mistake of having the "Prop Plug" upside down... It didn't really work that way. Maybe nobody else would make this mistake, but make sure the Propeller logo is face up.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-10-09 14:54
    I understand how easily one can do that with a 4-pin symetrical interface, but The Propeller Demo Board AND the Hydra have a direct USB plug. They don't work either. This is strictly a problem with the IDE not finding the USB driver or the USB driver not allocating a usable COM port.

As WindowsXP does all this in the background and FTDI is a no-brainer installation, there really is nothing that I can find to fix it. IDE V0.98 and IDE V1.05.7 both do not work.

As I said above ==> Usually Parallax has an excellent 'quick start' proceedure to assure the user that everything is okay, but when they comitted to USB with the Propeller they seemed to have forgotten to do so.

So.... if nothing can be done.
    No Propeller Development Board, no Hydra, no USB to RS-232 device, and I must build an RS-232 interface to deal with the five Propeller proto boards.

All seems hidden in the mysteries of WindowsXP. I've removed and reloaded the FTDI driver installation.

I do have a Non-Parallax USB to RS-232 that I can try out, but that won't help with the Propeller Demo Board which is what I really need.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-10-09 15:04
    Yesterday I had the same problem, the lights flashed but nothing happened, then I remembered to power up the board!

I'm not sure what a quick start guide could contain, it would seem you have an unusual problem.

Graham

Check your cable too.
    edited 2007-10-09 15:06
    This may help found at the bottom of the usb driver download page:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/ftdi/USBDriverTroubleshooting-V1.0.pdf
    edited 2007-10-09 15:40
    Graham,
    When I said all the lights were on, the red, green, blue, and yellow, that indicated that the power was on. I have also tried to sequence things carefully. First, with the Propeller IDE running, I would plug in the USB and then turn on the board.

I'll take a look at the 'troubleshooting-V1.0.pdf' and see what that says.

It seems to me that if the FTDI USB is in need of specific support, there should be a Forum just for the the USB interface.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-10-09 15:48
    Have you tried looking in "Device Manager" to see what com port is actually being assigned? Also, you can remove and reinstall the device there...
    edited 2007-10-09 16:28
    Rayman,
    Thanks for your help. I have now gotten my USB to Propeller Demo Board working again.

Please forgive me for being somewhat irate, but I generally feel better relying on RS-232 directly to the computer than having to depend on the USB allocating a serial interface. This USB cable has been working properly for some time and suddenly the connection was no longer available - even though I got the red and blue light [noparse][[/noparse]but not blinking, a steady on]. It SEEMED like a software problem, but it wasn't

In sum, I discovered my USB hub that takes one USB port from the computer and splits it into 4 USB ports appears to be defective - even though its LED indicated it was powered up and functional.

The troubleshooting document was helpful and guided me through the reinstallation - once I located the hardware problem. I have serious doubts about the tree-like automated distribution of USB when allocating COM ports.

I must say that I had looked several places and through many threads for days before posting the request for help. It seems to me that the Propeller Manual should have this all in at least a 'Troubleshooting' or 'Quick-Start' appendix if devices are going to be USB only. That would be in keeping with what is done with the BasicStamp and the SX documents.

So please forgive the sour grapes due to a lot of wasted time and thanks again for your help.

I just personally think that the USB interface is another layer of complexity when working with bench electronics and IDEs. I would never think of looking in 'Device Manager' for COM port asignments, but I did look for USB device allocations and it was saying 'unknown device'. But, it did identify the defective HUB correctly.

So what is a guy suppose to do?

It would be best if Parallax recommended the Propeller IDE connect directly to the computer's USB interface rather than go through an intermediate outboard USB hub wherein distribution bugs might evolve.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-10-09 16:43
    Congrats on finding the problem! I've seen a lot of times that just unplugging and replugging in the hub fixes things...
    edited 2007-10-09 17:03
    Kramer, I knew YOU had it plugged in, sorry my definition of same "problem" was too loose.

As for the USB stuff I'm glad of it, it means I can use my laptop and installing a driver is hardly hard labor. It seems you just want to stick with what you know as all the extra layers you mention are generally totally invisible once installed, connect cable and press F10, done.

I see no reason why they should recommend not using a hub but they might suggest trying to remove it if problems are suffered, now that they actually know it can be a problem.

Graham
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-09 17:13
    Some years ago I had USB troubles getting a device to work. The vendor support suggested 'usbview' application. I don't recall the URL for it; but s/b easy to Google for it.

Hope it is useful to others.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2007-10-09 17:57
    Well, I deleted another angry post because I forgot to turn on the Hydra before testing and it seemed like I was back to a software glitch again.

But, now I have thoroughly tests the Parallax Demo Board, the USB to RS232, and the Hydra, both its USB and RS232 through the USB to Rs232.

All systems go.

But it also seems I have a wiring problem of my own making on my homemade Propeller board. At least, it is progress. I am keeping Propeller IDE 0.98 and 1.05.7 because I see some people are mentioning bugs in the later.

Back to work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2007-10-09 18:25
    Kramer said...
    Rayman,
    Thanks for your help. I have now gotten my USB to Propeller Demo Board working again.

In sum, I discovered my USB hub that takes one USB port from the computer and splits it into 4 USB ports appears to be defective - even though its LED indicated it was powered up and functional.
    Hi Kramer,

I'm glad you discovered the problem... it probably would have been a long time before we suggested checking that; just something we wouldn't immediately suspect.
    Kramer said...

I must say that I had looked several places and through many threads for days before posting the request for help. It seems to me that the Propeller Manual should have this all in at least a 'Troubleshooting' or 'Quick-Start' appendix if devices are going to be USB only. That would be in keeping with what is done with the BasicStamp and the SX documents.
    Point taken.· We will work on adding a troubleshooting section.· Good idea.
    Kramer said...

I just personally think that the USB interface is another layer of complexity when working with bench electronics and IDEs. I would never think of looking in 'Device Manager' for COM port asignments, but I did look for USB device allocations and it was saying 'unknown device'. But, it did identify the defective HUB correctly.
    Agreed.· We have generally disliked all the complexities of USB (and now Bluetooth on top of it) as a media for communicating with microcontrollers and development tools.· Over time, the situation is getting better and more stable, but it's a slow process, especially considering the number of different USB and PC manufacturers.· We only recently (last few years) started focusing our efforts on USB interfaces, and that's mainly because so many computers now are built without any RS-232 serial interfaces at all.· So, it's safe to say, we were eventually forced into supporting USB.· In the end, I think it will be a solid solution, but there's still some potential for user problems because of all the complexities present with getting a PC's USB working correctly (the same solution doesn't work on all machines, etc.).
    Kramer said...

It would be best if Parallax recommended the Propeller IDE connect directly to the computer's USB interface rather than go through an intermediate outboard USB hub wherein distribution bugs might evolve.
    We never would have thought to suggest that until now (because of your experience) since we use USB hubs quite often within Parallax and have not had this particular issue.· Due to this learning experience, however, we will suggest removing USB hubs from the equation if a user continues to have difficulty.

Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.