Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Common video settings. — Parallax Forums

Common video settings.

potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
edited 2007-10-08 16:02 in Propeller 1
I'm wanting to write a few more assembly language examples that leverage the 8x8 driver posted here. A byte addressable character screen makes a lot of things easy. This means being able to have people see what their programs do, and potentially have some easy visual output to debug with. This is part of why I wrote it. When I first started with assembly language programming, on 8 bit machines, having a text display like this was cake to work with. No reason not to have it on the prop now.

Over time, I've also noted more than a few requests for the right clock settings, and pin configurations. It comes up all the time.

Care to entertain a thread where we post our TV video out settings? I'm inclined to incorporate them into a PDF, which can be packaged with the driver (or anything anyone else posts --I don't care about that.), and the tutorial. People can then look up their setup in the chart and make the appropriate edits quick and easy. At the moment, I've only got a HYDRA, and that only addresses a fraction of the propeller users. I'm thinking of a dead simple test program, the chart, and their hardware. Make the edits, fire off the test program and when the display works, start working on actual code examples, or one's own project, secure in the knowledge the display is going to work.

I fear including the driver without some additional help here, would spark more questions than it would answer. (might anyway, but that won't be known until it's tried, I suppose.)

This would also help with editing the GEAR Television plug-in to simulate more hardware configs. I've attached hydra_tv.xml, after having made the pin edits for HYDRA. The default is for Demo Board. Remove the .safe, obviously, to make use of that.

For HYDRA, these are:

CON
_CLKMODE = xtal1 + pll8x
_XINFREQ = 10_000_000 + 0000

VCFG s-field %0000_1111 (movs)
d-field 3 (movd)
i-field %0_10_111_000 (movi)

DIRA %0000_0111<<24 (bit mask 'or)

I'm unsure how to tabulate this stuff, suggestions welcome. At the least, please take a moment and post the above for your setup, along with what it is. Maybe tabulation will become clear after looking a few over. Maybe it's worth it to include your setup code, to build examples for people wanting to adapt to look at and help parse the code they are looking at.

There are differences for standards (NTSC, PAL, SECAM), and that's not the focus here. Those adaptations are more involved than simple code edits, which is all I'm trying to get at right now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!