Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stumped!! — Parallax Forums

Stumped!!

potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
edited 2007-10-07 18:41 in Propeller 1
Arrgh! I've been working with this video pixel loop for too long. I know it's something stupid, but I'm just not seeing it. Hoping some extra eyes will spot the problem and I can move on.

This is code from the next revision to the 8x8 character driver. I want to have the font table located in the COG, for a low memory footprint, and the option to snag 4 color chars from the HUB memory, if the user wants that. This is only the COG memory loop, no 4 color option logic yet.

I'm using the general purpose register variable model, so:

A = current screen memory byte pointer It is reset to start of screen memory, every frame loop

B = is current character definition byte, read from screen, using A for the pointer (The actual screen memory value one byte per char displayed)

B gets operated on. It's multiplied by two, then has the font table address added as well, along with either a 0 or 1, to address either the lower 4 lines of a character, or the upper one. In the HUB, byte addressing means each byte is a scanline of the char being displayed. In the COG, it's either one long, or the other one, thus the final add.

C = is the long in the COG, pointed to by the result of B, and is the group of pixels to be displayed in the current screen position

Only the lower most 8 bits are displayed in the waitvid. The upper ones are ignored and need to be shifted into the lower most position. It's an 8 pixel frame. The least significant bits
are shifted out, one by one.

D = temporary working register, where the value of font_line is operated on to impact both B (upper or lower long) and C (number of pixels to shift right for display)

r1 = number of waitvids per scanline, calculated from the constants higher up in the program.

Outside the loop, fontline gets added, modulo 8, as each scan line completes to form a sub-character offset counter. This value helps determine character long addressing, and shift amounts (I think).

:draw_pixels            rdbyte  B, A                    'get a character from screen memory (A)
                        shl     B, #1                    'multiply by 2, for char offset
                        add     B, #font_tab             'add font table address
                        mov     D, fontline              'gonna operate on fontline
                        and     D, #%100  wz, nr        'upper or lower char long?
                 if_nz  add     B, #1                    'if upper, add one long
                        mov     C, B                     'get pixel group from COG                 
                        and     D, #%0011                'mask off shift amounts
                        shl     D, #3                    'multiply by 8
                        shr     C, D                     'shift desired pixels into position  (I think this is the problem area...)

waitvid colors, C               'draw them to screen
                        add     A, #1                   'point to next set of chars 
                        djnz    r1, #:draw_pixels       'line done?
                        jmp    #end_graphics_scan_line   'on to the right border

I'm having trouble with the shifting of pixels (I think.) I've attached a screen shot, showing only the first scanline of any given character actually displaying pixels. This suggests the calculation for the COG font table access are good. Maybe not... I did check to see there was actually pixels in the font table! The screen memory just increments right now. 00, 01, 02, 03... modulo 16, as I only have 16 chars currently defined in the COG font table, for testing.

BTW: OpenOffice is a great bit manipulator tool, just represent the bits as strings and all sorts of quick and dirty tricks become possible.

That font table looks like this:

{ COG memory font table.  Each char is 8 bytes high.  So, there will be two longs per char defined
  in the table.  The chars are stored mirror image, due to waitvid shifting out to the right.

xxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx           Bits                Display    O=visible pixel,color 1
      │        │         │         │
      │        │         │         └────────  %0000_0000      =    --------
      │        │         └──────────────────  %0010_0011      =    OO---O--
      │        │
      │        └────────────────────────────  %1100_0100      =    --0---00
      │
      └─────────────────────────────────────  %0000_0000      =    --------             

}

font_tab                long    %00011000_00011000_00011000_00000000     

long    %00000000000110000000000000011000        

long    %01100110011001100110011000000000        

long    %00000011100000000111111111000000        

long    %01100110111111110110011000000000        

long    %00000000011001101111111101100110 

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Post Edited (potatohead) : 10/7/2007 5:06:43 PM GMT
720 x 540 - 286K

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-10-07 18:09
    Ok, it's cog memory addressing. After some troubleshooting, I realized I don't think I'm looking at the actual character definitions. Went ahead and defined the first 4 characters in the table to be all solid pixels, quit reading from screen memory and just plugged character zero into the loop.

Didn't get solid pixels.

I think font_tab is resolving to some address that does not make sense to the running COG. That addition just puts the pointer somewhere in the COG modulo $1ff

Goes off to desilva's tutorial on this matter...

...no joy just yet.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (potatohead) : 10/7/2007 6:29:17 PM GMT
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-07 18:29
    Good choice!

But I shall also help a little bit in person smile.gif
    MOV  C, B

does not do what you expect... It just .... copies; it does not fetch the scanline.
            MOVS :deref,  B
            NOP
    :deref  MOV  C,      0-0

will do the trick..

Edit/BTW: you can also interleave "AND D, #%0011" in place of the useless "NOP"

Post Edited (deSilva) : 10/7/2007 6:46:26 PM GMT
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-07 18:29
    cut your problem down to one thing. I'd suggest a table that consists of a single good character and the rest giving a gray pattern %010101010... See if you can get the single character to work. If you get the gray pattern, you know shifting works.

edit: Solids work too, I see. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-10-07 18:41
    Thanks!

I knew it was something stupid. Appreciated. I got into the mode where I was thinking other processors...

And here they are, running from the COG memory:

The code fix was:

:draw_pixels            rdbyte  B, A                    'get a character from screen memory (A)
                            shl     B, #1                    'multiply by 2, for char offset
                            add     B, #font_tab             'add font table address
                            mov     D, fontline              'gonna operate on fontline
                            and     D, #%100  wz, nr        'upper or lower char long?
                     if_nz  add     B, #1                    'if upper, add one long
                              movs    [img]http://forums.parallax.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]ixel_pointer, B        'modify the mov pixel instruction directly
                            and     D, #%0011                'mask off shift amounts 
    [img]http://forums.parallax.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]ixel_pointer            mov     C, 0-0                    'get pixel group from COG                 
                            shl     D, #3                    'multiply by 8
                            shr     C, D                     'shift desired pixels into position
                            waitvid colors, C               'draw them to screen
                            add     A, #1                   'point to next set of chars 
                            djnz    r1, #:draw_pixels       'line done?
                            jmp    #end_graphics_scan_line   'on to the right border

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (potatohead) : 10/7/2007 6:53:53 PM GMT
    720 x 540 - 488K