www.circuitcellar.com/wiznet/sample.html

Comments

• Andreas JakobAndreas Jakob Posts: 23
    edited 2007-10-07 00:39
    Lets see, if a Propeller based project catches a prize smile.gif
    edited 2007-10-09 12:17
    Got my free Chip and Module today.
    The Module looks very nice, but uses 2mm pinheaders.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-09 12:27
    I signed up. I like free stuff!
  • ThePenguinMasterThePenguinMaster Posts: 89
    edited 2007-10-09 12:27
    how long did it take to recieve it? did they notify you that you were getting it? i signed up too!
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2007-10-09 12:38
    Thank you for the warning on the header. I was starting to kick ideas around in my head regarding my design because I also signed up and am looking forward to developing something for the contest. I hope they ship the item to me in Hong Kong!

I briefly glanced at the datasheet. It looks like there are three different hardware ways to connect to the chip. I imagine most will probably use the SPI because it consumes the least amount of pins and SPI drivers are easy. Is any one considering the direct bus interface moderequiring 27 I/O lines or the indirect bus interface mode requiring 14 I/O lines?

One project possibility I had would require the highest throughput I could get, but consuming 27 I/O lines doesn't leave me any room for the hardware so I may go the indirect bus interface mode.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
    edited 2007-10-09 12:39
    Delivery needed 7 days, but from US to Germany.
    You get a confirmation mail, if the Module is shiped :

Hello,

This e-mail confirms that your request for the WIZnet iEthernet Design Contest sample has been approved. All shipments are being sent via USPS for both Domestic and International shipments. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.

The WIZ810MJ is a network module that carries the W5100 (TCP/IP hardwired chip, includes PHY) and MAG-JACK (RJ-45 with X’FMR) with other glue logics. It can be used as a component and no effort is required to interface the W5100 and Transformer. The WIZ810MJ is an ideal option for users who want to develop their Internet-enabling systems rapidly.

For more detailed information about the WIZ810MJ and the eligible contest part (the W5100), please review the datasheets that can be found at www.wiznet.co.kr/. You will also find the W5100 porting guide at the WIZnet site.

You are welcome to physically use the WIZ810MJ as part of your project submission or you can make your own printed circuit board that includes the W5100. (The W5100 chip is the only required contest device. You may use any other MCU or peripheral device in addition to the W5100.) You may also use other WIZnet boards that include the W5100. These may be purchased through www.ewiznet.com/.

Forum Support

If you have a technical or administrative question about the contest, please visit the WIZnet contest forums at http://bbs.circuitcellar.com/phpBB2/. Both Circuit Cellar staff and WIZnet technical staff will be available to assist.

Contest Benefits

We know it takes a lot of hard work to put together a design contest entry, but the rewards are definitely worth the effort. The excitement of working with this evaluation kit is just one of the many benefits. Your design could win you a share of $15,000 in cash prizes. The top designer in this contest will walk away with $5,000.

We’ve received a lot of feedback over the years, and what we’ve learned from administering numerous design contests is that public recognition is probably the best reward for entering a contest. Winning a prize certainly has its financial perk, but having your project selected by us for posting is an honor that keeps on giving. Industry leaders pay attention to these contests. We’re proud to say that a considerable number of past contest entrants report that the publicity from their participation had a great deal of positive benefit for both their careers and their manufacturing ambitions.

And if you needed any more inspiration, remember that we’re always looking for fresh editorial content and our real job is publishing an engineering magazine focused on embedded applications. We know good work when we see it so you can expect that we will ask a number of entrants to convert their entries into articles. If you’d like to see your name in print, keep thinking that this isn’t just a contest—it’s an opportunity!

Good luck with your entry!

Contest.Administrator@circuitcellar.com
    edited 2007-10-09 13:07
    I think in most cases SPI will do the job.
    If you need high throughoutput, the Bus interface is needed, eating up all your I/O pins :-(
    But as you dont have to care about the network stack, it leaves you nearly all memory resources for your
    application. This could be the perfect deal to get tcp/ip to the Propeller.

Timothy D. Swieter said...
    Thank you for the warning on the header. I was starting to kick ideas around in my head regarding my design because I also signed up and am looking forward to developing something for the contest. I hope they ship the item to me in Hong Kong!

I briefly glanced at the datasheet. It looks like there are three different hardware ways to connect to the chip. I imagine most will probably use the SPI because it consumes the least amount of pins and SPI drivers are easy. Is any one considering the direct bus interface moderequiring 27 I/O lines or the indirect bus interface mode requiring 14 I/O lines?

One project possibility I had would require the highest throughput I could get, but consuming 27 I/O lines doesn't leave me any room for the hardware so I may go the indirect bus interface mode.
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-10-09 17:11
    I submitted a request, But I have heard nothing. Should I resubmit?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-10-09 18:08
    I'd love to have one, but I really don't have a contest entry.

I imagine that living in Asia, Mumbai, Singapore,Taiwan, Tokyo, or Hong Kong might actually give you a better chance of getting one. They really want to reach a pool of working engineers.

Since I'm just a hobbyist, I'll pass. The goodies are getting smaller and smaller, aren't they.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-10-10 12:09
    You dont need to have a contest entry to get a sample kit.
    The contest ends in 4 months, so enought time to get an idea, or not.
    This is a contest also for hobbyists, as many also do something similar at
    their job, its the perfect target group to get involved.
  • fatmanforprezfatmanforprez Posts: 3
    edited 2007-10-21 01:17
    Well the form sure works, I got the hardware in yesterday, I also got the acceptance e-mail. Now I just have to find a good way around this 2mm problem, how I love the smell of ferric chloride.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-10-21 04:23
    Free did not mean better in this case... I just got one..

What a mess.. I have no idea how I would hook to these pins to get started...

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
    edited 2007-10-21 11:09
    Oldbitcollector,
    The file"WIZ810MJ " on the page provide by the link above shows the pin out. The Data sheet for just the W5100 chip(found at the WizNet Web site) shows the registers and methods for operation of the module.
    Hope this helps.
    If any finds out what to do with unused pins let me know! ie: using serial, the bus pins are tied to what?

Opps,
    Sorry Oldbitcollector,
    Just noticed you were referring to the 2mm spacing. Totally understand that!

Post Edited (bambino) : 10/21/2007 10:20:37 PM GMT
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2007-10-22 11:28
    I got my parts the other day here in Hong Kong. I am excited to see what others come up with using this chip. I have one idea cooking already and I started to lay down some code for a driver. I am torn between the indirect connection method and the SPI method.

Bambino - There was a link in the "device shiping e-mail" (I think) to a Circuit Cellar article by Fred Eady. He made his own board and placed a chip on it. He.....

Opps scratch that thought, he connected every pin to the PIC he was using. I will let you know if I find something related to unused pins as I read through the datasheet and get experimenting. For now I was planning on wire wrapping to the SPI pins to get the device working and leave the other pins blank (expect for ground/power/and those pins called out to be high or low)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode

Post Edited (Timothy D. Swieter) : 10/22/2007 1:16:33 PM GMT
    edited 2007-10-22 13:09
    Timothy,

That is exactly what I am up to(SPI), I am just going to leave them floating for now. I have a demo board from another micro... product modified for use with a Propeller and it has a proto area with 2mm spacing.(never thought I would use it for anything)
  • TheWizard65TheWizard65 Posts: 91
    edited 2007-10-22 22:51
    I entered the contest to see if I would get one of the freebies, also.

Hey oldbitcollector, would the small pin headers we saw at philcap be of any use. Only trying to add my two cents.

Post Edited (TheWizard65) : 10/22/2007 10:58:15 PM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-10-22 23:24
    I just noticed in the thread title that the prize is 5000$ rather than $5000 is that to stop some bright spark asking for 20480 dollars?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-10-22 23:27
    You mean they aren't giving away 20 grand??!?!!!!!!!

That does it! Contest just isn't worth it now! Gonna remove the MagJack and put it on a 2nd PropNIC.

(Better chance of being useful.. <smirk>)

[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-10-23 00:04
    No they are giving away 5000 $'s
    Here's your first 20:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.