Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DIY cnc mill revisited — Parallax Forums

DIY cnc mill revisited

kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
edited 2007-10-21 05:53 in General Discussion
Not a bad starting point for $450. Do a search for Zenbot router on ebay, link is too long to post here.
400 x 388 - 16K

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-10-04 13:50
    Looks cool.
    I wish they offered a "ready-to-run" package though.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My goal is to live forever...Or die trying.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-10-04 15:34
    But getting it to run is half the fun! smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2007-10-04 19:01
    lol, I've got a ready to run package....or will, when i put some motors and drivers back on it.

i am in the process of upgrading from a 16" x 20" cnc router to a 27.5" x 60 " , i've swiped my motors and drive controllers off the old machine to finish the new.

the only problem is when i put some new controllers and motors on it, i'll probally want around 6-800 for it. and its heavy, not something you would want to ship.

i like looking at http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx·as a simple way to build your machine.

but parts man is right, building them is soo much fun, first you use woodworking and metal skills, then electronic, then if you use turbocnc , a lil computer, then you get to learn cad and Gcode. for a handyman, its like a trialthon.

dantongue.gif

by the way, using Pminmo's driver boards, it· should be simple to hook up a prop protoboard to them along with a sd card reader... just need a lil program to read g-code and sennd out the right pulses, one for direction, one for step for each axis

dan

Post Edited (Sawmiller) : 10/4/2007 7:10:21 PM GMT
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2007-10-04 19:52
    I kick my self daily for opting to buy a new Gaming PC rather than buy a CNC router. if you look on Ebay there are several ready to run packages, This was what I was going to buy. cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Built-CNC-Router-Mill-Engraver_W0QQitemZ320165412105QQihZ011QQcategoryZ57122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He will custom build one for you. the price is dependant on the travel distances. and the machine is made from plate aluminum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer. - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2007-10-20 17:58
    I was looking at some cnc related stuff on youtube and saw some references to the new linear motors. These things are amazing, and just think, no mechanical parts such as lead screws or bearings, etc. to make a mill. The speed and accuracy ( 5 micron ) are a bigger bonus. I would imagine them to be rather expensive at this time, hopefully in the near future they will be affordable.

www.baldormotion.com/products/linearproducts/lss.asp
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2007-10-21 05:53
    I built mine from wood and skateboard bearings. Even made a·Penguin with it. These things are cheap to make if you shop around for motors and controllers (couple hundred bucks) The rest can be found at Menards or·Home Depot.
    1600 x 1200 - 429K
    Mill.jpg 428.8K