Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Max System Clock - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Max System Clock

2»

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-04 22:13
    deSilva,
    am I correct in assuming that, per your diagram, that pins 1 and 8 get connected to the propeller? And that their order doesn't matter?
    Fred
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-10-04 22:32
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    hippy, if he got a 100Mhz oscillator, there's no need to do division, just set clkmode to xinput and don't use pll.
    Aha; I'd realised the PLL could be over-clocked, I hadn't realised the XINPUT could be and the limit of 80MHz can be pushed as well. For me then, that would be the best solution; 100MHz module and no PLL.

If that's what you meant by "active external oscillator" we may be talking the same language. If we are, I was thrown by your saying they are only available in surface mount, as there seems to be quite a few suppliers of through-hole 100MHz modules.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-10-04 22:36
    We are indeed talking about the same thing, there probably are quite a few suppliers of through hole 100 MHz oscillators, I just didnt find any in my brief search.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Lee MarshallLee Marshall Posts: 106
    edited 2007-10-05 00:33
    Personally I wouldnt put a lot of time into getting non-SMD active oscillators. i just solder wire links directly to 3 of the pads (vcc,vss,out) at 90deg angles to the base, has always worked for me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Holy parallel processing, Batman!
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-05 03:12
    Fred Hawkins said...
    deSilva,
    am I correct in assuming that, per your diagram, that pins 1 and 8 get connected to the propeller? And that their order doesn't matter?
    Fred
    Pin #1 is N.C. If not, just ignore it. It seems SOMETIMES #1 and #8 are connected, but better just ignore #1.

Do you have an oscilloscop to check its output? As I said, I am not sure whether ALL oscillators work fine at 3V3. So if it does not work from the beginning, you COULD apply 5V to its Vdd, but then use a 100 to 220 Ohms series resistor between #8 and XINPUT. This is a kind of compromise to limit the current, as it also works as a lowpass with the 6pF input capacity, around 100 MHz
  • TookingsTookings Posts: 18
    edited 2007-10-06 00:20
    FYI on the 6.25Mhz from AllElectronics -- seems to be the 2-pin rectangular can:

>> Can you tell me the form factor and packaging of this crystal?
    >> http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/XTAL_6_25MHZ/search/6.25MHZ-CRYSTAL

<@alltronics.com> to me:

HC-18U with wire leads.
  • IAN STROMEIAN STROME Posts: 49
    edited 2007-10-06 00:49
    Fred + Desilva
    Be aware :- re Xtal oscillators, sometimes ( depending on manufacturer )
    Pin 1 can be OSC enable. Left floating may not work, or be unreliable, get a
    data sheet, and tie high or low as recommended.

Best Regards
    Ian

:- Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be
    disappointed.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-06 01:02
    Tookings said...
    HC-18U with wire leads.
    Cool!· Maybe I didn't waste my money then...· I just got an email that they shipped, so I'll try it out next week...