Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool v1.05.7 COM PORT LOCKUPS STILL — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool v1.05.7 COM PORT LOCKUPS STILL

JoeCreateJoeCreate Posts: 36
edited 2007-10-04 09:31 in Propeller 1
I know others had the problem of the Propeller Tool iterating through COM ports and when it finds a Bluetooth COM Port that doesn't have and endpoint, it LOCKS-UP.· I have to END-TASK to get it to stop, which means I have to re-launch and re-open all of my files.· I have wasted SOO MUCH TIME because of this BUG.· If I forget to plug the PropPlug into my protoboard before hitting Compile, I'm hosed, Every Time.

I write lots of windows apps and I know it is not difficult to allow us to SPECIFY a COM port to use instead of the Propeller Tool needing to check every COM port to find the·Propeller.· It's a big waste of time.· Albeit handy for the newbee to get started.· It REALLY needs to be an OPTION.· Please.· I love the propeller and everything about the Propeller Tool.· Except This COM Port issue.· I was really hoping such a simple option would be available on this new version.

Just let us type a COM Port # in.· When you open the Port, you pass COM 1 through COM 9 as "COM1"..."COM9" to the port name, then anything over COM9 has a windows port name of [url=]\\.\COM10[/url] and so on.· In case that was the hangup in implementing this option.

If it doesn't happen to you, then obviously it's not a big concern, to you.· But for those of us with built-in bluetooth and the computer assigns a bazillion (give or take) COM ports for bluetooth devices that don't exists, it's really really irritation.

Comments

• SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2007-10-02 17:58
    Hi JoeCreate

I already sued for that and as now about that to hear nothing.
    My unique decision is moving of numeration of COM.
    Operates but not in all of situations.
    My Propeller Tool made off find of the COM.
    And only program which operates in that, to program Propeller of this Aribas Propterminal but only to RAM.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=675860

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-10-02 18:41
    Why not just turn the blue tooth radio off?

Everything works just fine then. This does not even require a reboot or anything. Are you guys running blue tooth devices while using the Propeller tool? If so, what are they?

When it's time to do something else, turn the radio back on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    edited 2007-10-02 19:27
    Hi potatohead.

I run blue tooth devices pararel with Tools.
    And in my system I mast have it RUN always.

Ps.
    So as though to someone to say Doors are corrupt, drop in by a window.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha

Post Edited (Sapieha) : 10/2/2007 7:41:37 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-10-02 20:44
    Sapieha, it is on the to-do list, we aren't ignoring you. The guy that does the development of the IDE has had higher priority tasks that has prevented him from working on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-10-02 21:16
    Hi Paul.

Thanks for replay.

It was well att hear. For all

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
  • JoeCreateJoeCreate Posts: 36
    edited 2007-10-02 22:02
    I use a bluetooth mouse. Pluse my Treo syncs with my Palm Desktop via bluetooth. I have bluetooth headphones (music is often required while programming to drown out all other distractions). Mine isn't, but I most certainly could be using a bluetooth serial link to my robot. Unfortunately turning off the bluetooth would be more irritating then the lockup problem [noparse]:)[/noparse]

But, just for kicks. Bluetooth is now OFF. I launch Prop Tool, hit F10. Checking COM6 (Not Responding). Locked up. Windows Device Manger does not show I have a COM6 at all. So it's not just related to Bluetooth apparently.

But thats OKAY. Because they are going to fix it.

Grrr, mouse no workey, must turn bluetooth back on now.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-10-02 23:16
    FWIW, I don't have any Bluetooth devices on my computer and have experienced this same problem. I wish I could offer some clue about when or why it happens, but I can't. Thankfully, the IDE has automatic file recovery, so no work is lost.

-Phil
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-10-02 23:50
    Guess I'm lucky then. I just turn the radio off and all is good.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-10-02 23:57
    Joe, have you tried using Ariba's PropTerminal to specify the com port?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2007-10-03 00:15
    Hi,

This problem has really reared it's ugly head since there were many complaints about ports not showing up at all.· Turns out, they have drivers that done expose an interface (like they should be doing) and after testing, with this customers on this forum, all reported good things, so we rolled those changes in and released.

Either way, we'll make it right and give you the options you need very soon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2007-10-03 00:21
    With PropTerminal it's a little bit complicated, because you have to save the binary in the IDE and then load it in PropTerminal.
    The better solution is the PropUp-Hack:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=665707

Andy
    edited 2007-10-03 01:35
    Hi Ariba.

It is not problem.
    If I not have PropTerminal I have not capablities to program Propeller.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2007-10-03 15:58
    Thanks Jeff.

I have not tried PropTerminal (PropUp)...

And now I have. Very nice and simple. If you give it the right port, it works, if you don't, it won't. That's the way it should be. Makes me want to hookup more propellers to the PC now.
    edited 2007-10-04 09:31
    Nothing to do with Lockups (sort-of) but in case anyone is making notes (Jeff), maybe it would be nice to allow cancelling a Load RAM/EEPROM.· Sure it would leave the Prop RAM/EEPROM in a corrupt state, but it would save a lot of time when I'm working on an Object and accidentally hit F10/F11 instead of Ctrl-F10/F11.· I get impatient waiting for an Object to load to EEPROM knowing it's not going to work and I've just wasted another 20 seconds of my life freaked.gif .

I work with real-time signal processing so I have a tendency to notice wasted Seconds.· Have you ever been on the phone with a Customer, trying to access their account information on the computer, and for whatever reason, this time there is a 20 second delay before the data is returned?··nono.gif· My Alarm Operators expect immediate response times (they're spoiled), so 20 seconds seems like an eternity (life-safety and all), and Boy do they let me know if it happens more than Once jumpin.gif .

Maybe I should have just banked the seconds I spent writing this and saved them for the times I miss-hit Ctrl-F11.· yeah.gif

Awww, I just wasted more seconds adding Emoticons!· eyes.gif