Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bug in Propeller Tool 1.05.7? — Parallax Forums

Bug in Propeller Tool 1.05.7?

MightorMightor Posts: 338
edited 2007-11-18 22:28 in Propeller 1
When I try to compile the following spin file in 1.05.7 I get a "Expression is too complex" error. This error does NOT occur with 1.05.5. The part of the code it barfs on:
                        cmp dutyold, duty2 wz, wc         ' If Z or C is set then they're the same
        IF_E            jmp #:do_nothing_again            ' They're the same, so skip this code below 
                        mov multiplicand, pwmfbase
                        mov multiplier, duty2
                        jmpret multiply_ret, #multiply
                        mov pulsewidth2, product              
:do_nothing_again 

It does not like the line with the IF_E and highlights the "#:do_nothing_again" part. Why is this? If I make the label shorter to something like ":do_nothing_b" it works ok. If I change the label to :do_nothingagainhaha it also works. What gives?

Gr,
Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
| To know recursion, you must first know recursion.
| I reject your reality and substitute my own!
| - Adam Savage

Comments

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2007-10-01 11:40
    It obviously happens, when the label takes exactly 16 characters? But only for local labels.
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-10-01 12:15
    This bug happened between 1.05.5 and .7, those labels worked fine with .5 :-/ I did test it with a label called :do_nothing_aagain and that seems to be fine, so you're right, it's exactly 16 chars long. Weird.

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | - Adam Savage
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-10-01 19:38
    It gets even weirder:
    The bug seems to have reincarnated from version 1.05.2:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=626671
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-01 19:46
    Well it's not really weird... it's one of the most popular situations with "configuration control":

version x.2--+-------------------> released
                 |
                 +--- version x.5 ---> released
                 |
                 +--- version x.7 ---> released

Hope I am wrong smile.gif
    edited 2007-10-01 20:01
    Sometimes it is more like this:

spaghetti.jpg

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | - Adam Savage
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2007-10-01 23:15
    ;-)

I promise that our code and·our configuration control·doesn't resemble that plate of food.· Getting hungry though.

;-)

I noted the error and duplicated it again here.· We'll get it fixed for good this time and will re-release as soon as possible.

Sorry for the trouble.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-01 23:29
    Jeff,
    Can you release a change log to accompany the new version? It would erase a lot of confusion between manual, errata and these often misplaced threads.
    Fred

Duh, there's readme.txt file in the parallax root that has all of the version info. And yup, it's bundled (and updated) in each version.

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 11/19/2007 2:22:54 AM GMT
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2007-10-01 23:49
    This is my fault. It seems I've got a phase error between code at work and code at home. Fixing this is going to be a matter of maybe 20 characters of source code. I happen to be on vacation right now and I don't have access to the source code, but I will be back at the end of the week, so we will post·a new version·next Monday. Sorry about this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-10-02 03:48
    Chip Gracey (Parallax) said...
    I happen to be on vacation right now and I don't have access to the source code, but I will be back at the end of the week, so we will post a new version next Monday. Sorry about this.
    No worries. Hope you are enjoying your vacation [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | - Adam Savage
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-02 06:07
    So they call it "phase error" nowadays... seems deSilva was right again smile.gif
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-10-02 06:17
    deSilva said...
    So they call it "phase error" nowadays... seems deSilva was right again

hahaha, You got an apology from the real developer, and not from some marketing guy. That In my eyes brings solution ages faster, and most probably does not include any new acronyms you did not know about, for free jumpin.gif

People, we still need some *open source* tools to complement what they provide (great editor, by the way). I was busy with other things, but I left pPropellerSim in the state of implementing propeller/eeprom programming smile.gif, I'll continue with that as soon as I can, or post it for other to contribute...
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-10-02 07:38
    If you come down with a bad case of "Phase Error", take one dose of Subversion and call me in the morning...

http://subversion.tigris.org

Actually I think Git is theoretically much better than Subversion as a version control system, but Git is in-comparison is a bear to deploy & run IMHO due to lack of decent documentation. If you're used to using source-code as documentation however, do have a go at Git.

http://git.or.cz

Git is currently the versioning system of choice for development and maintenance of the Linux Kernel. A key selling point for me when it comes to Git is the way it seems to save distributed archives and then synchronize under the control of hashes which act as version signatures. This allows archives to be transportable, and the distributed nature adds robustness.

Subversion is released under the Apache/BSD license, Git is released under GPL2.

David
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-10-02 09:56
    Hmmm, Subversion.

I had someone "help" me with a bit of code. It was my first cooperative programming effort in quite a while, and the other conviced me that we should use subversion (but could have been any versioning tool).

The code was run by the other programmer through a "beautifier", dutifully checked into subversion, and the diff files sent back to me. The result - thousands of "changes" across 100K+ lines of code!! The programmer didn't even think about what he was doing - he had subversion "So all was OK".

As a single developer - I don't believe in electronic versioning software. Unless you actually take the time to check every change, then I think you're bluffing yourself.

Just my opinion - it probably wont be popular.

To err is human, to really stuff up you need a computer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2007-10-09 00:31
    Hi,

Attached is the version (v1.05.8) that fixes this 16-character label bug (that was mistakenly reintroduced).

You can also download this version with an installer from our website soon (10-9-2007).

Also attached is the readme file that comes with the installer; it includes details of changes in various versions.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2007-10-09 00:39
    Hi Jeff.

Thanks for uppdate

But still not COM fix!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha
    edited 2007-10-09 03:47
    Thanks Jeff,

I will give it a spin (no pun intended) later today [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | - Adam Savage
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-10-09 17:33
    Sapieha said...
    Hi Jeff.

Thanks for uppdate

But still not COM fix!

This version was only to address bug fixes, while you may feel the·lack of setting of the COM port is a bug, it's actually a feature and isn't addressed (yet).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2007-10-12 08:46
    Hi Jeff and Paul.

I beg pardon but I have the client what torments me.

My client looks at that otherwise
    If does not operate Auto Search that this is Bug.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha
  • Filip SFilip S Posts: 54
    edited 2007-11-18 20:50
    Hello everyone!

Talking about bugs or errors in the editor, I've seen one in v 1.05.8, and it's been there for a quite long time now...
    When I first start up the editor the "object view pane" isn't visible until I've had two files opened at the same time. Then I'm able to close one file without that it disappears. But because I'm working with one file quite a lot of the time this isn't very fun when you find out that you need to open one of the sub-objects (the easiest way of doing this is to click it in that pane!) you need to open a another file first!

//Filip

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my game page: http://fgames.110mb.com
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2007-11-18 22:28
    If you press F9 right after you load the main object, the tree will appear.