Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ASM waitpeq — Parallax Forums

ASM waitpeq

TomSTomS Posts: 128
edited 2007-09-30 09:55 in Propeller 1
I see in the manual that waitpeq takes 5+ cycles. What does the + sign mean? My tests using a counter in NCO mode shows exactly 5 clock cycles needed no matter what I do to the pulse width or rep rate. Does it have something to do with a state change on the waitpeq pin occurring between clock transitions? If so, would the maximum clock cycles be just short of 6?

Tom

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-09-29 22:48
    The + sign means that the waitpeq takes as many clock cycles as it takes for the selected pin(s) to reach the state specified. The minimum is 5 (4 for the instruction itself and at least 1 state to test for the specified condition.
  • TomSTomS Posts: 128
    edited 2007-09-29 23:01
    Thanks Mike,

So once the specified state is reached, no more than 5 clock cycles elapse before execution starts with the next instruction. Right?

Tom
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-09-29 23:41
    The extra 4 clock cycles are "up front". The test for the required state is in the last cycle of the instruction. If the I/O pins are already in the required state, the waitpeq takes 5 clock cycles to execute (the minimum). If the I/O pins are not in the required state, the waitpeq instruction will hang in the last cycle until the state is reached and exit on the next clock cycle.
  • TomSTomS Posts: 128
    edited 2007-09-29 23:44
    Thanks again, That answers my question fully.

Tom
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-30 09:55
    It is a little bit more complicated, but not relevant for most applications. Have a look into "Sidetrack F" of my Tutorial for more details.