Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
µoled 96 prop — Parallax Forums

µoled 96 prop

HHaysHHays Posts: 15
edited 2007-10-01 05:46 in Propeller 1
I went to 4-D Systems website to get some better dimensional data on the uOLED 128 GMD1 organic OLED display (which is on backorder at Parallax), and I discovered the embedded Propeller OLED display they offer (http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=14), the "uOLED 96 PROP". With 65K color, a Prop, up to 2 GB SD memory, 96X64 pixels and all in a package 27X23 mm. Pretty neat.

The obvious question is, when will you guys start carrying this ( I would rather order from you instead of DT in AUS) product? It looks pretty neat, & I am anxious to get one.

I understand there are some concerns regarding the lifetime of current OLED displays - Do you have any MTBF data on these?. And finally, 4-D Systems seems to having trouble providing stock (Not just to Parallax). What's the story?

Thanks

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-09-28 23:56
    Usually the problem is suppliers... in this case, I would suspect the problem is an American supplier. If that is the case and if I were 4D, I'd go directly to John Howard.

You have to love politics.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-29 00:06
    HHays said...
    I understand there are some concerns regarding the lifetime of current OLED displays - Do you have any MTBF data on these?
    Yes! Read the things Duffer has written; he explains everything about it.
  • HHaysHHays Posts: 15
    edited 2007-09-29 01:08
    @deSilva -

Thanks for pointing that out deSilva.

However, prior to posting, I had read all references to OLED, 4DSystems, & so forth in the forum, including the postings by Duffer. My interest was related more precisely to the actual product. I am aware that blue leds are more prone to damage from static discharge, over-voltage, etc. I was looking for a run of tests from the manufacturer (which I cannot find), similar to the tests Chip & Co. put the propeller through in development. It's one thing to say that blue leds have a higher failure rate than red leds, it's quite another to provide data from test runs on actual dies. Mean Time Before Failure data is recognized as a basic dataset for potential users of any product.

In short, my interest lies primarily in the failure modes of this particular product - given this implementation (model number) of this technology, what can I expect in terms of reliability when I use this in a commercial product? Will a 1 year warranty suffice? If not, I am inclined either to wait, or to implement another technology for display purposes. My interest lies in the fact I will be marketing this product to customers who expect a certain level of reliability.

In my many, many weeks of lurking here, I feel I should point out that you stand out among the rest as someone who is:

Probably one of the best qualified and competent persons in this forum with regard to solid programming ability.

Always willing to participate and contribute something relevant.

First in searching the forum database for prior references to the current post, and subsequently lambasting that poster for not having done his homework.

Perhaps it's not my place, (actually, I am sure it's not) and most certainly it's off topic, but..... These forums exist to educate and inform the individuals interested in the Parallax Propeller. Just as is the case with any public forum, there will be those who are better informed / more qualified than others. I am quite sure it is not your intention to alienate anyone, however my perception is that you do just that.

I am all for demanding a certain level of responsibility from posters. That is a given. I do feel, however, that people should be encouraged to explore this fantastic platform without the fear of being lambasted or chastised for their lack of knowledge if they simply did not have the wherewithal to do a proper search.

Without a doubt, it is in the best interest of Parallax to encourage all postings. I postulate that Parallax as a company is uncomfortable with some of your posts.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-29 07:27
    I really do appreciate your OTs smile.gif
    ALL of them.
    Thank you!

It seems not always obvious that a have a deep black humour...

Edit: This is the very posting I was thinking of http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=671469
    Duffer says R/G live >100.000 h, B >10.000 h but it depends on the usage, and should be fine for hobby applications...

Post Edited (deSilva) : 9/29/2007 8:10:04 AM GMT
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-09-29 11:10
    There is some truth in ALL what HHays says.

deSilva can sometimes be harsh on people. But, Bobby Fischer was, too. It comes with that kind of brilliant minds and a certain degree of impatience that really intense and "burning" people have.

I prefer getting told by deSilva now and then, that I could have done better, than not having his very valuable contributions at all.

We are all human - only, some are more human and some are super-human.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2007-09-30 06:58
    HHayes,

I was going to stay out of this and just watch, but I quess I'll jump in now because I have some questions.

You mentioned in your first post that there was some problem with supply from 4D Systems. I am very curious where you heard that. Did you try to obtain products from a source that told you that 4D could not supply them?

To your question about OLED MTBF and lifetime. The 4D product·User Guides are in the process of being updated with exactly that information. Please check the web site at http://www.4dsystems.com.au for information about updated documentation.

Also, worst case, 10,000 hours (of continuous use) is still over 2.2 years! I think in most cases (TVs being the exception), that plenty! And the technology is getting better. Active Matrix OLEDs (now becomming available in larger sizes) suffer ZERO burn-in (something LCD and Plasma makers can't say).

I'm just a bit tired of all the whinging about this stuff. If you have specific questions about supply, availablity, usability and suitability, please ASK, don't just make a bunch a vague, unsupported pronouncements. I'll be more than happy to straighten you out.

Thank you,··· Steve
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-01 01:40
    @Skogsgurra: Oh c'mon....deSilva super-human?? smile.gif

Unfortunately, some of deSilva's dark humor may be lost in translation. That can be frustrating, eh, deSilva?.......?.........deSilva??

Personally, I think deSilva's comments add an edge of excitement to the forum, not to mention very useful insight. One should not take another's comments too seriously or personally. We're all in this for fun if nothing else, are we not?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?

Post Edited (Ken Peterson) : 10/1/2007 2:25:46 AM GMT
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-10-01 05:13
    We could make a whole new set of HTML tags for just this kind of thing <SARCASM>INSERT REMARK</SARCASM>. This could work for <HUMOUR> (that's <HUMOR> for all you non Queen's English speaking people), <SERIOUS>, <JUST KIDDING> and <THIS IS FUNNY IN MY MOTHER TONGUE>. The only problem I foresee is that with some of us, we'll end up spending more time writing tags than actual answers.

@Ken,
    Skogsgurra said "We are all human - only, some are more human and some are super-human." There was no mention of deSilva's name. As for the super human thing, I think he may have been referring to me, but you had no way of knowing that, but that's OK.

Gr,
    Mighty Mightor

PS: I have my own action figure: -->LINK<--

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | To know recursion, you must first know recursion.
    | I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    | - Adam Savage
    320 x 240 - 7K
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2007-10-01 05:46
    Just: assume good faith! deSilva sometimes sounds harsh even in mother tongue. But, that is live. Windows comes with a smiling face, but takes away, what you relied on. "Don't be stupid" always sounds harsh, but it is a simple truth and should always be accepted as a good advice