Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie Question: Clearing the EEPROM — Parallax Forums

Newbie Question: Clearing the EEPROM

WNedWNed Posts: 157
edited 2007-10-01 12:26 in Propeller 1
Hello,
I just received a Propeller board and am starting the tutorials. After running it from RAM, the first tutorial tells you to load the
program up to the EEPROM. The manual also says that it's more efficient to run things from RAM during development.
That's all well and good, but now I have Output.spin sitting in EEPROM, and I can't get rid of it!
I'm embarassed to have to ask this, but I haven't found any reference to "parallax +propeller +clear +eeprom"
that does me any good. How do I clear the EEPROM?

Thanks,
wned

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"They may have computers, and other weapons of mass destruction." - Janet Reno

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-09-27 17:47
    You could just upload a null program to it, which would effectively clear it:

PUB Start
      repeat

-Phil
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-09-27 17:50
    It doesn't make sense to "clear the EEPROM". Any time you download something to the Propeller's EEPROM, it overwrites the entire EEPROM with the new program. Normally, when you get a "pre-built" Propeller like a Protoboard or Demo Board or PropStick, the EEPROM has been loaded with some kind of simple test program. If you're constructing your own, the EEPROM probably is blank.

If you really want to erase the EEPROM, you can load a program into RAM that will do it. The easiest way is to load FemtoBasic or BoeBotBasic into RAM and write a simple FOR loop that stores some value in all 32K EEPROM locations using the EEPROM statement (see the documentation).
  • WNedWNed Posts: 157
    edited 2007-09-27 18:38
    Maybe I'm missing something here. My understanding is that if there's something in the EEPROM, that will get run on boot-up, before anything in RAM.
    The documentation tells you to do your development work in RAM.
    The first tutorial tells you to load Output.spin into EEPROM, therefore, I cannot do development in RAM because the propeller will always see Output.spin first. Likewise, if I load a null program to EEPROM, that will be seen first.
    Do I have to learn how to write a program into EEPROM that will redirect operations to RAM before I can finish the tutorials?
    That's a rhetorical question. I suppose the correct thing to do is to use the F10 Compile and Run in RAM option in the Propeller Tool
    during development. I don't like the idea that this option leaves a program lurking in EEPROM that will run first every time I restart
    the Propeller... I suppose what I need to do is learn enough to write something interesting, but harmless that I can leave in EEPROM
    until I want to put something permanent in there.
    Thanks, Phil and Mike, for your input.
    wned

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-09-27 18:53
    Wned,
    If you have a program in EEProm you can still send code to run in ram (F10) - and it runs as normal - It's just when you reset your prop that the program·stored in the EEprom will load and run by default..

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 9/27/2007 7:01:54 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-27 19:16
    Another way of describing this is:

1) The Propeller Tool resets the Propeller as part of the identification or download/run process. The Propeller Tool then goes through a verification process to make sure the Propeller is functioning. If you asked the Propeller Tool to download and run from RAM, it downloads the program and the Propeller's boot loader will run it from RAM. If you asked to download and run from EEPROM, it downloads the program to RAM, the Propeller's boot loader will then copy the program to EEPROM and run the program.

2) If you reset the Propeller somehow other than with the Propeller Tool, the Propeller's boot loader will attempt to communicate with the Propeller Tool using I/O pins 30/31. Once that times out, the boot loader will attempt to load the program in the 1st 32K of the EEPROM attached to I/O pins 28/29. If that load process fails, the Propeller boot loader will halt.

By using Load RAM, you can always download and run a program in RAM.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-09-27 19:36
    When you're developing a new program, it's always quicker to run from RAM. However, you may have code from a previous project that runs from EEPROM when the Propeller gets reset from something besides a RAM upload. This can not only be annoying, but may cause bus conflicts with devices attached to the Propeller pins for your new project. In this case, it's always handy to have the null program loaded into EEPROM, just to make sure that all the port pins get tri-stated after an inadvertent reset.

-Phil
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-09-27 19:41
    Wned => Issue

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) => Work Around

QuattroRS4 => Brief Explanation

Mike Green => Technical Explanation

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) => Possible Ramifications

... All in all a well sorted issue ! lol

Regards,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-27 19:47
    .... and all done already so many times.
    Obviously it goes with some fluentness now smile.gif
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-09-29 14:25
    @deSilva: It's the nature of a forum like this that there will be redundancies. The only way to get around that would be to use a different forum system. Cross-linking of articles is apparently a totally manual process, unfortunately.

I like the null program approach, especially if you have a bunch of hardware permanently connected to the Prop that could result in hardware damage.

Just curious: Do you need the "repeat"? Doesn't the cog just halt if it runs out of SPIN to execute?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?

Post Edited (Ken Peterson) : 9/29/2007 2:30:47 PM GMT
  • WNedWNed Posts: 157
    edited 2007-09-29 15:48
    Alrighty then. So the answer is,
    "Sorry, Ned, we didn't think that purging the EEPROM would be important
    enough to include a command or procedure for doing that."
    Fine and dandy. Now would someone from Parallax please post the code for the power-up program that's
    loaded on the Propeller Demo board when it ships. I'd like to be able to re-install that as the default in EEPROM
    when I don't need something else in there. And unless you've seen the source for that particular code,
    please don't tell me it's just a simple LED strobe widget that I could easily write myself; I'd prefer to hear that
    from someone who knows it for a fact. If it's Not a simple stroby-thing, and actually verifies functionality,
    it would be a good thing to have around.

Thanks All.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-09-29 16:11
    Ken Peterson said...
    @deSilva: It's the nature of a forum like this that there will be redundancies. The only way to get around that would be to use a different forum system.
    Sorry, I had been in a dark mood smile.gif
    But I think we should think about something for the many new posters. As the popularity of the Propeller grows, more and more wil ask the same questions.

It does not help much that there are books... I often lamented that very few read Andre LaMothe's excellent Hydra book, where nearly everthing is explained. But maybe people do. They just will have no need to ask questions in this forum smile.gif
    said...
    Do you need the "repeat"? Doesn't the cog just halt if it runs out of SPIN to execute?
    Yes, you do not need it.

And at least you shoul have it:
    _clkmode =  RCSLOW
    PUB main
       REPEAT
          WAITCNT(CNT)

smile.gifroll.gif
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-09-29 17:24
    What does happen when it runs out of SPIN code without an infinite loop? Is this spelled out anywhere? Do the DIR and OUT registers change state? Does it go into a low current mode?
    edited 2007-09-29 17:34
    @WNed:· If you want to put a default program in the EEPROM, you obviously have choices.· PhiPi's suggestion of a null program is ideal if you want to ensure that the propeller does absolutely nothing by default when powered up or reset.· If you want something else, take your pick of what's available and use the F11 option to put it on the EEPROM.

@deSilva:· Are you saying that your code suggestion is necessary?· Should one need to change the clock setting and go into a waitcnt loop?· I see the question here as if the "main" function does absolutely nothing, what happens in the chip?· Does the cog shut down, or what?

You say that you don't need it, and then say that at least you should have it.· Somewhat confusing.

The null program mentioned by PhiPi is nice and simple and the default behavior of the Prop is to use RC timing.· Power use is·not really a·consideration in a do-nothing program.· This would never be implemented, it's just a safety precaution for default behavior while one works with the Prop during development.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Ken Peterson) : 9/29/2007 6:27:15 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-29 18:25
    Rayman & Ken,
    1) When a cog is started using a Spin program and the COGNEW/COGINIT statement, a return address is provided which essentially points to a COGID, then COGSTOP which halts that cog. If the main method of a cog exits, including if it "falls off the end" of the method, it returns to the caller which is this statement sequence. That cog is stopped which resets everything in the cog and shuts it down. The registers are all cleared to zero and the cog goes into a minimal power mode.

deSilva,
    When you change the system clock setting, you change it for all the cogs. You may not want that, particularly if there are other cogs running that assume that the system clock is still 80MHz.

WNed,
    I believe the demo program you're talking about is in the Object Exchange under the name "Graphics". There's no specific "test" program for the Propeller, so really anything that uses some of the interfaces on the Demo Board should work for your needs.
    edited 2007-09-29 18:38
    As always - deSilva's intentions are mainly misunderstood. I should really start learning English.

Now, here is a summary:
    (a) This whole thread is about what to put into the EEPROM for the case it comes out unintentionally and is run by a SPIN interpreter. There is no other COG, there is just this one.

(b) PhiPi gave a nice suggestion what to load into the EEPROM for this case.

(c) However there are more possibilities
    (c1) Just return from "main": Mike has elaborated on the behaviour (=COGSTOP)
    (c2) IF you want to loop, than I gave a more interesting loop.
    edited 2007-09-29 18:40
    @Mike:

So if what you're saying is true, PhiPi's example of a null program does not need the "repeat" statement, right? Can you get by with nothing other than "PUB main"?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-09-29 18:41
    Do the eeproms of demo and proto boards really come loaded with something?
    edited 2007-09-29 18:42
    the Demo boards come with a graphics demo that is slightly different from the Graphics Demo program that comes with the Prop Tool.· If I'm not mistaken, I think the proto boards come blank.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Ken Peterson) : 9/29/2007 6:47:17 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-29 18:52
    Ken,
    If what you want to do is simply to have a program that only stops itself and leaves the Propeller halted, just a "PUB main" will do. The boot loader normally uses the RCFAST clock. By including a "_clkmode = rcslow" as deSilva suggested, the Propeller's power consumption will be reduced slightly since the system clock will be running slower than the default.
    edited 2007-09-29 19:02
    Understood. But like I said earlier, if all you want to do is make a default program to halt the Propeller then power consumption is not an issue because you would never implement an application with the Prop where all it does is halt. This is to address the original question of the thread.

On the other hand, if you wanted to halt the propeller after it performs some function of limited duration, then using "_clkmode = rcslow" makes sense as there is apparently no statement in SPIN or assembly that will shut down the entire chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Ken Peterson) : 9/29/2007 7:11:29 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-29 19:27
    Ken Peterson said...
    ...as there is apparently no statement in SPIN or assembly that will shut down the entire chip.
    Not one statement.. But you can easily do
    PUB stopIt|myId,id
      myId := COGID
      FOR id FROM 0 TO 7
         IF id<>myId
            COGSTOP(id)
      COGSTOP(myId)

.. not tested!!
    edited 2007-09-30 00:39
    Interesting...but again not necessary for a null program. Upon reboot all cogs are stopped by default.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-09-30 10:44
    This is not the point: Upon Reboot the EEPROM is (re-)loaded smile.gif
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-09-30 11:11
    I never gave this that much thought when I made a do_nothing routine.
    The RC_Slow approach would make more since, but just a quick question on this.

My routine has been:

Pub Do_Nothing

If I :
    _clkmode := RCSlow
    Pub Do_Nothing

The Program would terminate, but the clock would default back to RCFast? I'll have to check the current on this. Anything to keep from re-charging these batteries so much would be nice.
    edited 2007-09-30 11:28
    The Manual says that "..the Propeller goes into shut-down mode.", which in fact means nothing.

However, there are four sources of current consumption only:
    (1) Processor activity: None, as all COGs down
    (2) I/O pin driver: None, as all pins in input mode
    (3) The HUB wheel: Unclear. most likely stopped.
    (4) Basic uphold of logic and static memory state: Unclear, but generally VERY low

It is easy the measure the current. Diagram 9 in the datasheet insinuates something of 4 uA for idle. This is below the self dis-charge of a typical NiMH rechargeable; 2,500 mAh cells (and alkaline batteries have a similar capacity) could provide this current for 500,000 h which would be around 70 years

Post Edited (deSilva) : 9/30/2007 11:52:53 AM GMT
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-09-30 11:40
    No, I really did not give this very much thought at all. 20 years Hmmm! That makes me think that long term data logging could be done via letting the prop run out of code and have an external event reset the prop for the next data set. This has broadened my horizons, Thanks!
    edited 2007-09-30 13:41
    bambino,
    The reset process is fairly slow (and power hungry) because the boot loader has to run, reload the program from EEPROM, and start a cog with the Spin interpreter. It would be much better to run the whole Propeller with the RCSLOW clock and sit in a WAITCNT loop for as long as possible (roughly 1.5 days). If you need more speed or need to run off a crystal for communications, you can always change the clock mode, then change it back to RCSLOW for the next sleep.
    edited 2007-09-30 14:01
    I guess I don't see what power consumption has to do with WNed's original question. The question was how to clear the EEPROM so the default behavior would be to do nothing. No one would implement an application where the chip does nothing. So why is it so important to make sure the chip goes into the lowest power mode possible? PUB main should be sufficient.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2007-09-30 16:11
    Hi all,

·· I thought the purpose was to save the EEPROM and not·write to it everytime you power up the prop as the EEPROM has a limited amount of write cycles over it's lifetime.······· Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fix it if ain't broke·
    D Rat

Dave Ratcliff· N6YEE
    edited 2007-09-30 16:25
    The Propeller doesn't typically write the EEPROM every time it boots...It only reads it.

The original question in this thread was about how to clear the EEPROM to gain control over its behavior upon reset during development. When you're doing development, typically you will load RAM and test it that way. If you forget what's in EEPROM and the the chip gets reset for some reason, it would run whatever is in EEPROM and that might cause confusion, or worse, damage to any hardware you have connected. Since the Propeller does not have a convenient way to completely wipe out the EEPROM using the Tool, the suggested alternative was to load a "null program" into the EEPROM, consisting of the following:

PUB main

This program basically does nothing, which is what you want. Although the chip might not be completely shut down, it practically is. There have also been several posts about how to reduce power consumption or how to completely shut down the chip. For the purposes of the original question, none of that is necessary.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔