Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Snake Remake — Parallax Forums

Snake Remake

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-09-29 13:41 in Propeller 1
Hi All,
Forgot to post this when I did it a while back, I was mega busy at the time.
Anyway, I was writing a pixel plotter, and decided to make it draw text, the screen + a snake trail, and it grew from there not into much as it was only a small trial.
But keys are any key ( on keyboard ) to start, and cursors to change direction.
Instructions for those who don't know how to play snake, you aim for the dot ( 2x2 pixels ) on it's own and run over it, your snake will then grow, and increase in speed until at max speed,·remember not to eat your trail.
Enjoy.
Baggers.

snake1.jpg

snake2.jpg

Sorry for the·bad second photo ( not that the first one is a good angle ), it's hard to make it look like it's being played, and take a photo at the same time lol

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-09-27 17:25
    Snake is a classic. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I used to play a silly snake clone on the C64.
    It was written in the C64's TEXT graphics mode and sounded something like... "beep beep beep"
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-09-27 18:00
    Glad you liked it [noparse]:)[/noparse] it was from trying to see how many pixels i could have self erasing and plotting onto the screen, starting as the last line of screen is displayed, then finishing before the first line of next display starts.
    There's a buffer for 4500 pixels to draw to the screen, all memory would allow [noparse]:([/noparse] including screen display etc. one cog can handle about 2000 pixels, including moving it, and killing it when it's off the bottom of the screen.
    it's all done in two cogs, one for speccy display, and the second to control the erasing and drawing of pixels.
    I was going to go for multiple cogs, but it caused issues, when one was erasing a pixel from the same that another was drawing to at the same time.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-09-27 20:23
    Nice job Baggers, another troublesomely addictive game!

Got any more goodies hidden away? tongue.gif

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-09-28 16:09
    I could never understand why the snake liked to eat apples. *lol*
    edited 2007-09-28 16:12
    <CheesyAnswer> I guess it was cos he was hungry, and that was the only thing that was on the screen? </CheesyAnswer>
    edited 2007-09-28 16:26
    Baggers said...
    <CheesyAnswer> I guess it was cos he was hungry, and that was the only thing that was on the screen? </CheesyAnswer>
    That makes sense. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

...or maybe because the color RED is easy to generate on most all 8bit color computers. *lol*
    Unless you have one of them old Yellow-Green Monochrome monitors.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-09-28 17:49
    Nice job, I spent a half hour playing last night.

It even intrigues the younger generation, my kids all wanted a turn too, Ages 4,5,10 and 12 were all fighting over who got to go next.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-09-28 18:38
    What a surprise...
    I just searched the forum and found the spacies-game you made earlier this year.
    I didn't have the propeller at that time so I missed the game.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=645707
    http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/Spacies.zip
    I thought it's a good idea to repost the link.
    If you keep on being this productive you will probably end up getting your own stickie thread. :-D
    ·
    edited 2007-09-28 20:09
    Ym2413a: lol

parts-man73: Glad you and family enjoyed playing it, lol, I can't say I'm surprised about the younger generation though, everyone loves games you can just pick up and play, and it's a quick game, It's what's missing in a lot of next-gen games IMHO. bring back retro games [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    besides, I have work on a PS3 dev kit, and I enjoy my spare time with programming Chip's Propeller 1000 times more than I do programming the PS3. I guess cos you have to work at it, to get it to do what you want, and it's back to the no-nonsense days of the speccy, just you and a screen, no hardware to do fancy stuff for you.

Clemens: Thanks for the repost [noparse]:)[/noparse] Yeah, I've done a few games now haven't I, and there's quite a few more left in me still [noparse]:)[/noparse], thankfully lol
    edited 2007-09-29 12:00
    I agree. It's relaxing to develop on the propeller systems for some reason. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Then again I'm a programming minimalist. Give me .net frame work or AS3 and I wanna hit my head on the wall from all of the wasted power.
    Though I can't complain too much. It does pay the bills. *lol*

A program shouldn't need 128megs of ram to display a simple 3D box with a different 512x512 texture on all 6 sides. But for some reason... PC's get away with such waste of power everyday. It's kinda sad at times. [noparse]:([/noparse]

But the same thing happened to Amplifiers as well.
    It used to be back in the tube days a 10 watt amp was very loud and could fill the room!!
    As raw power got cheaper to produce, efficiency went out the window with cheap undersized power supplies and junky speakers.

--Andrew Arsenault.
    edited 2007-09-29 13:41
    Yeah I know what you mean about the vaste waste of power and ram, people nowadays abuse it to hell and back, and yes, it's kinda sad that to "speed up release dates" optimising and compression techniques have gone out the window.