Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheapest easiest way to wirelessly activate 2nd propeller? — Parallax Forums

Cheapest easiest way to wirelessly activate 2nd propeller?

sccoupesccoupe Posts: 118
edited 2007-09-24 20:59 in Propeller 1
I am looking to have one propeller send another propeller a wireless signal to start an object with a 200' range. Where should I start with this?

Thanks

Jason

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-09-24 15:49
    The X-Bee or X-Bee PRO modules (www.maxstream.net/products/xbee/xbee-pro-oem-rf-module-zigbee.php) would be a good choice. You can get a "breakout" board from SparkFun (www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8276) to help mounting the device. They work very nicely with the Propeller and provide bidirectional communications with error checking. It looks like a serial channel normally to the Propellers.

There are other options including the 433MHz transmitter/receiver combinations and the 930MHz transceivers that Parallax sells. 200' is on the edge of the range for the lower power X-Bee (see the website), but make work fine if there are no obstructions. The higher power X-Bee PRO would certainly work.
  • Andreas JakobAndreas Jakob Posts: 23
    edited 2007-09-24 20:47
    I dont know if this modules are sold in the US, but they got quiet popular in Germany
    for their low price and good range :

www.hoperf.com/pro/RFM12.html

They are sold for under 10$ here and i know that they cost only 2,5$ if you buy them
    in quantities directly from China ! ( a guy from a german forum did a big collective order
    for the users of that forum)
  • sccoupesccoupe Posts: 118
    edited 2007-09-24 20:59
    Thanks.· I just ordered a couple of x-bee's. They look like they will do the trick. Ill look into the other option as well to save on the cost.

·