Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stereo display — Parallax Forums

stereo display

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2007-09-24 16:56 in Propeller 1
www.planar.com/products/flatpanel_monitors/stereoscopic/SD1710.cfm

Driving two screens is easy with a prop, could be fun. You just need a jig and a piece of thinnish glass (cheap photo frame).

Graham

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-09-24 12:39
    The problem with using the Prop for stereo pictures is resolution. IMHO, one really needs 800x600 to get a decent looking stereo image. 640x480 is a bare minimum.

But, the Prop can only do ~512x384 on one screen! Hopefully, the Prop 2 will be better for this...
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-09-24 12:47
    It depends what you are trying to show photos might not be any good but, geometric objects would be fine.

I've just had a bit of an experiment with my two wide screen 19" monitors on my PC, the glass will need to be slightly mirrored because even after adjusting the brightnesses the reflected monitor is much less bright.

Graham
    edited 2007-09-24 12:54
    I've got it wrong anyway, you still need to differentiate between the eyes so polarizers are required. Never mind.

Graham
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-09-24 13:16
    Well, you could also use an optical viewer like this one:

http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/lor-minv.html

This would let you use one screen to make a 3D image. Just draw left eye info on the left side and right side info on the right side.

I've used this viewer on my PC screen for a quick look at stereo images. One issue with this viewer is that it is meant for a 4x6" photo, so your screen should be around this size. This limits the available resolution. Also, you must be able to focus on something ~10" from your face. Some people have trouble with this...
    edited 2007-09-24 14:45
    That was something I already thought about, you could even use a pair of camcorder viewfinders, most of which take ntsc or pal and include the optics, I wonder about the video glasses on ebay too but it might take two hacked pairs.

One good thing about this is that I have discovered that my graphics card (nvidia quadro fx4500) supports stereo with shutter glasses and so does my volume visualization software.

Graham
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-09-24 16:56
    Graham et al,

I've spent a serious part of my adult life working on stereo analysis and display, and I've been trying to figure out what to do with the Prop and 3D.

With the above-referenced display, by the time you get done dividing the available light with a half mirror... and then divide the light again with a polarizer in front of each image, you end up needing a pretty dark room. I built a projector system using these constraints ... it wasn't bad, but it was definitely "space occupying." So, to use it, I needed a room big enough for a small theatre.

About the available resolution of the Prop... The "stereo effect" is limited mostly by the horizontal resolution. Bit depth is the other issue.

As everything stands right now, the Prop is more than adequate for "soft copy" stereophotogrammetry... if one uses a couple of Bean's overlay boards to generate the two analysis channels over two video channels (in/out). Using the Prop Terminal or something similar, the sparse analysis data can be flexibly recorded to a selected file on the PC.

The problem then becomes one of display... In my mind, a direct view, head mounted display with two independent displays is preferred ... which could also be configured as "stereo binoculars." A pair of postage stamp sized displays capable of displaying a full video signal would do it.

To support the work... there would have to be a market: True 3D games...with stereo photo-realistic backgrounds... a stereo twin-hydra/hybrid built around Bean's hardware, with Bagger's genius sounds like a winner to me. With Prop I, this would require at least 2 Props. With Prop II, one Prop will suffice.

If the gurus could get together on this a rather exciting IPO could be just around the corner.

With the way things usually work out, I expect an eventual solution to come from England[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich

ps... of course, I'm mostly interested in medical applications and (of course) there is absolutely no market[noparse]:)[/noparse]