Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dataflash SPI — Parallax Forums

Dataflash SPI

BasilBasil Posts: 380
edited 2007-09-26 00:42 in Propeller 1
Hi All,

Im currently working through writing code to read/write to a SPI dataflash chip.

Im a little confused about the timing and was wondering if someone can help (with code snippets or whatever)

In the bottom set of waveforms in the attached file, it looks like the CS line can be driven low at the earliest during clk cycle 1, and at the latest before clock cycle 2.
However, if it is driven low at the start of clk cycle 1, this is before the first data bit is written, whereas if CS is driven low halfway through clk cycle 1, the first data bit will be ready.
This is the bit which is confusing me, do I drive CS low prior to doing the clk and data bits, or after the clock starts but before the data?

Any clarification (or experiences with the same IC) is appreciated [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks,

Alec

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
-Alec

My our page
1002 x 877 - 105K

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-24 07:38
    This a special mode "RapidS", which trickily utilizes the rising clock in two ways. Its all explained in the legend - I can't really do anything but repeat what's written there:

!CS normally means Chip Select on Low, as this is a bus system. But - normally" - if you have only one device connected, you can leave it low at the device without any line at all.

Not with RapidS mode!
    As the rising clock is used for reading the bus (by the slave) as well as changing it to the next value, it must be avoided that this first rise (when the master sets the very first bit) is "seen" by the slave. So:

Master action:
    (a) Wait rising clock
    (b) set DO and !CS
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-09-24 12:24
    @ Basil : The top waveform looks like any other typical SPI transfer; bring !CS low then start clocking data in/out. Start with that, then when you have it working you can revisit the other mechanism if you want to.
    edited 2007-09-24 17:31
    Hippy is right insofar as being master and generating the clock signal yourself, you can do what you want smile.gif

The single rule is: when you rise the clock your signal must be stable on the MOSI!
    (There can be other rules, as there is no such thing as THE SPI protocoll but about 4 to 5...)
  • BasilBasil Posts: 380
    edited 2007-09-24 21:04
    Hi Guys,

Ok so bringing CS low comes before everything [noparse]:)[/noparse] Thanks, thats the bit I was unsure about.

Heres how I understand it (This is running at 64Mhz if I got my timing right :P)

Data <<= (32 - bits)  

delay := cnt

outa[noparse][[/noparse]DF_SCK]~ 'SCK low
      waitcnt(delay += (clkfreq / 32_000_000))
      outa[noparse][[/noparse]DF_CS] ~ 'CS low

repeat bits
        ' set the data line while the SCK high
        outa[noparse][[/noparse]DF_SCK]~~ 
        outa[noparse][[/noparse]DF_DATA] := (Data <-= 1) & 1
        outa[noparse][[/noparse]DF_SCK] ~ 

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
    edited 2007-09-25 01:47
    (a) When you rise the clock, your data must be on the bus, any data, for RapidS it's the OLD data. As you set CS low much to early the first bit will be garbage (or zero). You exactly counterfight the very reason for RapidS...

Please do it in the "normal" way: Just set your data on the bus and rise the clock..

(b) A SPIN instruction takes 5 to 10 us, so your WAITCNTs will work in a strange way smile.gif

(c) Because you use SPIN your bandwidth will be about 50 k bits/s - don't cry smile.gif
    Use assembler instead!
    edited 2007-09-25 01:57
    ***(a) When you rise the clock, your data must be on the bus, any data, for RapidS it's the OLD data. As you set CS low much to early the first bit will be garbage (or zero). You exactly counterfight the very reason for RapidS...

Please do it in the "normal" way: Just set your data on the bus and rise the clock..***

OK [noparse]:D[/noparse] Will work through it tonight [noparse]:)[/noparse]

***(b) A SPIN instruction takes 5 to 10 us, so your WAITCNTs will work in a strange way smile.gif***

Oh, thanks for the heads up!

***(c) Because you use SPIN your bandwidth will be about 50 k bits/s - don't cry smile.gif***
    Use assembler instead!

Ive never used Asm :P All I need is a simple routine to write data, x number of bits in length.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
    edited 2007-09-25 17:26
    It's a good point deSilva makes about the waitcnt. In Spin I2C code I wrote I simply ended up using a delay counter which is pre-initialised at the start of the routine. Applied to your SPI code, untested ...

outa[noparse][[/noparse]DF_SCK]~ 'SCK low
    outa[noparse][[/noparse]DF_CS] ~ 'CS low

DelayCount := ? ' 0 .. N

repeat bits
       repeat DelayCount
       repeat DelayCount

edited 2007-09-25 20:51
    I think there is GENERALLY no need for any additional delay at all.
    If you should need this - counter my intuition - then you should make a "two version loop":
     IF DelayCount
        repeat bits
          repeat DelayCount
          repeat DelayCount
     ELSE
        repeat bits

Post Edited (deSilva) : 9/25/2007 8:57:44 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-25 21:09
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for that [noparse]:)[/noparse] I made it more complicated than it really is by the looks of things!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
    edited 2007-09-26 00:42
    @ deSilva : Much better solution, thanks.