Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pinball sounds? — Parallax Forums

Pinball sounds?

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2007-09-26 18:59 in Propeller 1
Yesterday evening I was at a barbeque where the kids were playing pinball on a laptop.· The sound effects really have me wondering if they would be easy to create in a Hydra.

As it is, I know that I could build circuits with some 555 timers and just have them triggered by the Hydra. But is it so much harder to have them done in software?·

I think one is called a Phalger.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-09-24 06:06
    Why not use one of the propeller's sound libraries??
    I wrote one for the Hydra and prop which can generate some nice sound FX.
    If samples (recordings) of a real pinball machines are needed the sound engine can play back compressed wave files.

--Andrew Arsenault.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-09-24 13:02
    Ill take a look at the sound libraries. I have yet to do so.

Last night I was again looking at the game and thinking....
    The PINBALL game is a give away game that is bundled with Mircosoft's XP. I have it on my computer, so it might be easy to 'borrow' the WAV files.

Of course, that might not be quite legal. After all, it is Microsoft's property and we all know they never borrow anything [noparse][[/noparse]or is it the other way around?].

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-09-24 16:56
    To use the wav files, you would probably have to stream them from external memory like the eeprom or sd card or a pc through serial. What I would recommend is try to emulate the sounds using the sound libraries from HSS or the sound driver that came with the Hydra book. Look at some 8 or 16 bit pinball games (or just normal games that might have similar sounds) and listen to see how they reproduce the sounds with systhesis instead raw audio.

Also what are you going to use this for? Where you just going to use the Prop to render sounds, or did you want to make a pinball video game using the Prop?
    edited 2007-09-24 18:12
    I am primarily interested in using a Prop to make the sounds at this point. Making a video pinball game in a Hydra·would be quite ambitious at this point.

But having dramatic sounds to use in any game setting would certainly enchance the experience. Movies are full of audio enhancements. For instance, when you hear someone's bones break, the reality is that someone is twisting a bunch of celery stalks.

It is almost as if certain sounds become iconic representations of reality. Pinball audio has been ingrained into our expectations of what exciting action should sound like.

Playing the pinball game on computer without audio is very flat.· Though there is a huge amount of excellent code there, is just doesn't emote feelings.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Kramer) : 9/24/2007 6:17:10 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-25 00:23
    Kramer said...

Playing the pinball game on computer without audio is very flat. Though there is a huge amount of excellent code there, is just doesn't emote feelings.

I agree. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    That's why I've always been a fan of sound and music in movies and games. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-09-25 00:26
    *btw* I'm just worked up some documentation for the (HSS) sound FX engine.
    Its going to release on the website with the new version coming out very soon.

It tells you what values do what and help gives you an idea of how to make most any sound with only a few bytes . [noparse]:)[/noparse]

--Andrew Arsenault.
    edited 2007-09-25 05:53
    I think it may even be worthwhile to have a whole Propeller chip dedicated to making game sound effects. Have a parallel 6bit interface to the Hydra and independent audio out [noparse][[/noparse]maybe in stereo] would allow it to be triggered to 64 sounds.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-09-25 08:22
    Kramer said...
    I think it may even be worthwhile to have a whole Propeller chip dedicated to making game sound effects. Have a parallel 6bit interface to the Hydra and independent audio out [noparse][[/noparse]maybe in stereo] would allow it to be triggered to 64 sounds.

That would be very cool. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    It's very do-able to.
    You could also do it with other boards or make your own little single prop board, since you won't be needing all of the extra video and gamepad hardware of the hydra for just a sound generation.
    edited 2007-09-26 18:59
    So let me emphasize,

Hey Andre! THE NEXT HYDRA version should have Twin Props - one for video, one for sound.

Care to jump in and comment?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔