Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Having problem downloading program — Parallax Forums

Having problem downloading program

XzavierXzavier Posts: 4
edited 2007-09-23 18:10 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I am using a·Parallax Education Board and the microP used is BS2sx. The board interface is a 9 pin serial. I have purchased a 'Serial to USB' convertor as my laptop does not have a serial port. However, after following the step by step instruction guide, i always got a message "No Basic Stamp found" when i tried to download my program.·I am not sure where the problem lies in and also have doubt whether i am using a correct 'straight through' cable. Can someone pls advice me on this problem and also provide me with a internal connection circuit for the straight through cable. Thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-09-22 16:27
    1) What model of serial to USB converter did you get? Not all of them will work properly. Did you install the drivers that came with it?

2) The Stamp has to have power to be identified. Are you sure the power is on?

3) The cable has to connect pins 2 through 7 from one end to the other (see page 28 of the Basic Stamp manual).
  • XzavierXzavier Posts: 4
    edited 2007-09-23 14:40
    Mike Green, first of all, thank you for the post.

1) I have tried using 4 different serial to USB converter. 3 of them are integrated with one end a USB port and the other end a serial port. One of the cable is ATEN (model: UC-232A), the other one is MCT (model: U232-P9) and the last cable is a cable that comes with another set of basic stamp(which model of stamp is unknown) that another group of students is using. All the 3 cables was passed to me without installation CD. However, I have allowed the installation wizard to search the web automatically for the driver. The installation always ends with the message that the new hardware was installled and ready to be used.
    I have also tried using a USB-RS232 convertor from Wiretek with installation CD but still fail.

2) Yes. I am sure the power is ON when i tried to indentify.

3) I will be working on it once I am back in the workshop.

Some doubts that I am having:

1)Could it be possible that i have installed the wrong version of the Stamp Editor or rather the wrong compatible items from the parallex? I am using the Education Board and I can see clearly that the microproccessr chip have a "BS2sx" printed on it. Therefore I have installed the editor for BS2sx on my computer(software->BASIC Stamps->windows95/98/NT4->Stamp2/2e/2sx/2p(Stampw.exe)). My OS is however XP Pro.

2) What should I see when I click on 'Identify' if the connection is correct? Currently I am seeing this:ppop.aspx?upg=%7b0dd2558c-1d5e-4ae8-a62d-7cd7f1b49ff7%7d
    370 x 190 - 16K
    edited 2007-09-23 14:52
    Just to add on to my earlier post. I have also installed and tried using the DOS version for Stamp2sx. I got a "No Hardware Found" message.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-09-23 17:46
    I suspect the problem is with the Windows driver for the device. I would suggest you go to the website for the manufacturer and download the latest driver specific for the device you're using and install it. I really don't trust the "search the web for a driver" option. I don't know anything about the ATEN and MCT devices. If the 3rd cable has worked with a Stamp before, it should work with what you have as well ... as long as you have the proper driver installed.

My only personal experience has been with the devices sold by Parallax, with those made by FTDI and sold by several vendors, and with the Keyspan High Speed USB to serial adapter. All of them work fine under both the Mac OS and Windows XP with both the Stamps and the Propeller.

I wouldn't expect the DOS version of the Stamp Editor to work with a USB to serial adapter on anything other than the COM1 and COM2 ports.
    edited 2007-09-23 18:10
    I would purchase a new set of converter and try it out with after installing the correct driver. Can you please tell me what should i expect to see if the connection is correct? What will appear under the loopback and echo column? And is it definately that the problem lies in the cable? Could it be that the BS2sx chip is not working as what I got is a set passed down by generations of students.