Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
# Lost in the library — Parallax Forums

# Lost in the library

Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
edited 2007-09-24 18:04 in Propeller 1
Where in the manual is the explanation for assembly use of # or a table of allowable/legal reference modes?

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-21 16:51
    I should recommend you read my Tutorial smile.gif

# sets a flag in the opcode and is thus allowed with all opcodes.
    There are no such things as "reference modes"

But maybe it's not in the Manual smile.gifsmile.gif
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-09-21 18:09
    I think that's my point. You get these distinctions nicely covered in your sixth page. Given that a manual has 300+ pages leading up to its assembly coverage, there ought to be at least a paragraph or sidebar. Aside from the toss off, "common fields are intentionally left out of the instruction’s syntax description. So, when you read a syntax description such as this:
    WAITCNT Target, 〈#〉 Delta
    ...remember that the true syntax is this:
    〈Label〉 〈Condition〉 WAITCNT Target, 〈#〉 Delta 〈Effects〉", # doesn't even make the categorical list. A grump would further beat on how that list handles @, but I am not yet grouchy today.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-09-22 17:03
    I believe Parallax is in the process of drafting a revised manual that is supposed to be easier to use. The current manual leaves a lot to be desired.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-09-24 18:04
    People have probably forgotten (or weren't here at the time) but there was a very tight constraint on getting the manual out in time for the product release. Those of us in beta testing had to use internal documents (mostly the Propeller Guts doc and a couple others whose information was incorporated into the manual). We have been waiting on getting enough errata and additional information to rev the manual, and yes we are now in the process.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.