Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SuperMill makes a Miniboard! — Parallax Forums

SuperMill makes a Miniboard!

NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
edited 2007-09-20 16:27 in General Discussion
After numerous attempts, I finally figured out a way to register a board so I could do the top half, move the board and do the bottom half.· A photo of the Miniboard, which measures 4.000 x 2.500 is attached.· Remember, the capacity of SuperMill is 1.700 top to bottom.

I etched and drilled the top half, then moved the board and etched and drilled the bottom half.· The top row of holes for the 40-pin Prop DIP were done in the top half, the bottom row of holes in the bottom half.· The 40-pin DIP socket, the PS/2 connector and the DB15 connector all dropped right in.· There is s small glitch in the etching - I found it yesterday on the first attempt.··I corrected the error and sent the corrected program to the Shop, but when I went out to make another board this morning I forgot to load the corrected program, so the glitch was still there.· With that in mind, I went ahead and finished the board so I could post a picture.

Making a board like this is a bit of work, and I probably wouldn't do it unless there was no other way, but now I know I can do it if necessary.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.

That is why they call it the present.

Don't have VGA?
Newzed@aol.com
525 x 367 - 11K

Comments

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2007-09-19 20:48
    Sid

You are realy getting Very good at making these boards with your· SuperMill

Very very nice board keep up the good work

···········hop.gif········································ idea.gif···························· jumpin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2007-09-20 00:48
    The trace width at the lower left side of the board is pretty thin. Thats impressive.
    Are you pushing the trace width limit or can you push it further?
    It's barely wider than the router bit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

Perfection in design is not achieved when there is nothing left to add.
    It is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.
  • CapdiamontCapdiamont Posts: 218
    edited 2007-09-20 04:55
    I'm sorry about hijacking the thread, but soing a search doesn't tell me more about your supermill. Is it homemade? Do you have plans?
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2007-09-20 11:56
    Capdiamont, this thread talks about my SuperMill.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=674624

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2007-09-20 12:02
    PL, I could make it a bit thinner by using my .015 router bit, but so far it hasn't been necesary.· Besides, the .015 bits are a bit expensive and I only have one.· I did use it one time to make the footprint for the Prop LQFP chip.

When are you going to get your SuperMill?????

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-09-20 14:33
    I am quite envious of the Super Mill as it is so much easier to produce small quantities of circuit boards than with a photo etch process. I have had to drill all the wire holes by hand with a pin vise.

It is definitely a real useful adjunct to this hobby. I just don't have the tools and space to commit to creating my own.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-09-20 14:59
    George, building the SuperMill from scratch took a lot of time, a bit of money and a lot of help from forum members, especially Mike Green.· All I can say is I'm glad I did it.· It has more than paid for itself.· Any time I need a small board or two, I lay it out, etch, drill and trim and there you are.· The mill, with all of its circuitry, takes up about a 2 x 2 foot space, plus the keyboard and monitor that sits to the right.· The computer that programs the mill Propeller Demo Board sits behind me, and I have a programming cable that just reaches from the Demo Board to the PC USB port.

If you ever decide you want to build one of your own, I'll be more than happy to help you anyway I can.· There used to be a very active thread, "Community Milling Machine", or something like that, but it seems to sort of have died.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-09-20 16:19
    I suspect that I would consider buying one already built.

The Super Mill is likely to forever hold the Parallax record for the longest forum thread. A remarkable creative collaboration.

My problem is that I live in Taiwan and procurement of parts is an odessey. For instance, I have a universal programible IR Remote Control on my desk that I bought for $3.00. But it took about 10 hours to translate the instructions to program it from Chinese. It isn't that I'm stupid. Looking up Chinese characters one by one is just slow regardless of your method for doing so. ABC has 26 letters and Chinese has 7000 of these characters.

I did see an XYZ table in Nuts and Volts for $3000USD plus shipping. All I would have to do is add a router and provide the intelligence. My guess is you got yours for about $500.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-09-20 16:27
    George, the basic mill is·a Proxxon MF70.· Cost is $289.00.

http://www.productiveworkspace.com/detail.aspx?ID=93

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·