Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
An idea for computer programmers. — Parallax Forums

An idea for computer programmers.

computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
edited 2007-09-16 05:38 in Propeller 1
I was sitting at home just now and I thought wouldn't it be nice for someone to create a tool that could generate spin code to draw shapes, as you drew them in the app.

e.g. If you draw a rectangle in the app, 250px by 300px at x=10 y=20. It generates the code.
box(10, 20, 250, 300)

This would make designing visual displays for projects much easier, and faster.

Just an idea for someone who has knowledge in this area.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Check out my robot using the propeller robot.tmcp.com.au
If you offer cheap PCB fabrication, perl programming or any other helpful services please email me at.
anthonybmyatt@yahoo.com.au

Comments

• Clint V FranklinClint V Franklin Posts: 4
    edited 2007-09-15 13:03
    Hmm, that sounds like an interesting little project. I assume you are talking about a sort of WYSIWYG designer for forms and such. Am I on track?

It may be a while before I manage to play with a Propeller, so I don't know how well I could write the app at this point, but it might be fun. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    They say all great artists are insane. I'm not saying I'm a great artist, but I'm certain I have what it takes.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-09-15 13:15
    CG,

Here's another idea, you could write something like this that would run on the propeller, lets say you are outputting your graphic that you are trying to display to a TV you could also output a menu system to the propterminal that would allow the user to add graphical objects to the display and modify them. The final parameters could then be sent to the PC via a terminal program.

This isn't better or necessarily easier than doing a PC version its just another idea, one thing is for sure is that it would be simple to write a limited version that would at least let you tweak the dimensions of certain drawing objects until they looked right without having to modify and reload over and over.

For example lets say you have a loop:

repeat
       clear the bitmap
       [noparse][[/noparse]draw the parts you have already worked out]

look for key presses, modify position / size depending on keys pressed (e.g. + might increse circle diameter)

[noparse][[/noparse]draw the next part you are setting up with parameters modified by keypresses]

copy bitmap to display

Graham
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2007-09-16 05:38
    Clint,

yes you are on track, That is exactly what i was suggesting.
    Would love to see it done.

Graham,

That sounds like a great idea. It would be cool to design both and somehow integrate the 2.

Thank you for your ideas. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller robot.tmcp.com.au
    If you offer cheap PCB fabrication, perl programming or any other helpful services please email me at.
    anthonybmyatt@yahoo.com.au