Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra Gamepad 2.0... — Parallax Forums

Hydra Gamepad 2.0...

BamseBamse Posts: 561
edited 2007-12-09 04:02 in Propeller 1
I thought the game pad with the Hydra didn't give me the right feel so I decided to make another one...
Since I have a MAME setup and already have a control panel for it, I decided to hack a cheap NES pad I got from Ebay so I could hook it up... wink.gif

The original game pad was included to give you a size reference.
GamePad01.jpg

You can get parts from http://www.happcontrols.com/ if you like to build your own.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
[noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-09-15 21:46
    You should make an article for MAKE, they love stuff like this.

Andre'
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-09-16 01:28
    I did something similar for my PC. Gamestop had these two huge arcade control panels for the Gamecube for 30 bux a peice which I picked up, gutted, and wired to USB game pads for mame use. They are nothing short of awesome (though I always wondered why they came out for the Gamecube).
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-09-19 06:51
    Wow, that thing sure is big.
    Remember, it also works with the NES as well. [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2007-09-19 13:50
    Maybe I have to get a NES just to try it... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.

/Bamse
  • jbumataijbumatai Posts: 26
    edited 2007-12-07 00:52
    Bamse,

A local artist approached me this last summer to design a retro arcade game station for a local cafe. I have been keeping an eye out for parts for that project. Can you make more of those?

JB
    edited 2007-12-07 04:10
    JB,

What do you have in mind ?
    If all you want is a controller like the Gamepad 2.0, I can put something together for you.
    If you only looking for the parts, they can be found at http://www.happcontrols.com/.

Let me know what kind of materials you want, I made the Gamepad from MDF which is a pretty rough material...
    Do you want a NES controller hookup like the Hydra or something else?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2007-12-08 06:11
    Bamse,

Not sure when that artist would have his art part done. But I will only do the electronic hardware part of that project if he wants it. So, I will be looking for someone who can built that part. I just do not know when.

JB
    P.S. However, if he cannot do his part of that project, I have been asking my other artistic friends for their interest on it. So, if he does not do it, I might go ahead and do it with another artist because it is such a cool idea.

Post Edited (jbumatai) : 12/8/2007 6:16:09 AM GMT
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-12-08 17:37
    From an electronics standpoint, it is pretty easy. You can either get a cheap USB digital game pad and solder the wires from the buttons and the controller contacts to the gamepad. Or you can get an I-PAC device which is pretty much the same thing, execpt it has screw terminals and is a little easier to use. It also maps it to the keyboard making it easier yet.

The hardware part is probably not too hard if you are good with wood and having the tools to cut it with (which I do not or am not good at).
    edited 2007-12-09 02:04
    I actually have an I-PAC I hook up to the game pad as well...
    Works great with MAME... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2007-12-09 04:02
    I am not planning on doing a MAME themed box though. I am planning on using one of the XGS kits.

JB