Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Surface Mount Questions..... — Parallax Forums

Surface Mount Questions.....

DarrenYDarrenY Posts: 61
edited 2007-09-20 19:16 in Propeller 1
Hello People,

So I have prototyped my prop based design on a breadboard.
The next step is to get a proto PCB board layout done in Eagle and get someone to make it for me (BatchPCB?)
When prototyping on my breadboard I selected components available in both DIP/SMT packages so I could use the DIP for breadboard proto and SMT for PCB proto.

I have next to no experience with PCB design and have the following questions:

1) Is it possible to get the PCB produced and returned to me with the SMT components pre-installed?
2) How do you go about attaching SMT components like the Prop QFP/QFN chip’s?
3) What’s the difference between the QFP/QFN chips – i.e. advantages/disadvantages of each design?
4) Am I going to have to buy expensive equipment to do this?!

I realise some of the questions above run into each other, but I am hoping you can help me clear these things up!

Thanks.
DarrenY

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-09-13 10:25
    Hi Darren,

Disclaimer: I've not done ANY PCB stuff myself yet, but have been investigating.

1. Yes - but it depends on which PCB manufacturer you use. I suspect most will want you to order a significant quantity though, and it goes without saying that it'll add significantly to the cost.

2. Sparkfun have a couple of tutorials / videos of SMT soldering...

HTH.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-09-13 12:16
    Unless you want hundreds of PCBs, do it yourself. Get some PCB made somewhere (cheap), and solder yourseft the components with a thin soldering iron and solder, or with a hot air soldering machine (there are cheap and useful ones on eBay for around 50 Euronen). If you have a steady hand, your work will be precise and beautiful smile.gif, if your hand is less stable (like mine), your work will be so-so but functional smile.gif, if you have shaking hand, (stop drinking, before working, get a drink afterwards :-D), get someone to do it for you.

It is simple, but requires patience, and small tools.

Resistors/condensers of the 1206 series, are big enough not to cause problems, samller ones exist, but are more troublesome. Till .65 mm pitch works very well, .5 mm pitch is a bit too laborious for a soldering iron, .4 mm is insane (soldering iron) smile.gif. The propeller has a .8 mm pitch, works easily (Thanks Parallax!).

Have fun
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-09-13 13:18
    1. You need to be able to see, adequate lighting and magnification if you need it.
    2. A flux pen, this helps a lot especially for rework.
    3. Solder paste
    4. A fine iron

Then practice and do the one thing that the "big boys" can't do so easily, test and inspect every joint.

Get the SMT propeller with the legs rather than the legless type.

Graham
  • TomSTomS Posts: 128
    edited 2007-09-13 13:53
    Darren,

I use a cheap toaster oven to reflow the solder joints.· Here's a link with instructions: http://www.stencilsunlimited.com/smt_stencils/smt_stencil_article_page1.htm

You don't have to have a stencil. A syringe with solder works well for boards without a lot of components and no small lead spacing.·A magnifing light for larger (>0805 & .65mm lead spacing) components or a cheap stereo microscope for the smallet components will neccessary.· If your board has a lot of components or small lead spacing it is best to use a prototype stencil (around $150).· I would recommend that you start with nothing smaller than 0805 size components and IC's with lead spacing of 0.8mm minimum. The propeller is 0.8 mm and most·SO chips have a 1.27mm (0.050") spacing.· These are actually quite easy to place and solder.· Regardless of the size you MUST inspect all solder joints before applying power if you want to avoid frying something.· After much practice you can get down to 0402 size components and a lead spacing of 0.5mm (0.020").· It's painstaking work to use the smaller components but the latest and greatest chips are getting smaller and smaller and don't leave you any choice if you want to use them.· As far as leadless chips go I would stay away from them until you master leaded chips.

Good Luck

Tom
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-09-13 14:22
    Drag-soldering works very well with fine-pitch devices if you use plenty of gel flux.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
    edited 2007-09-13 16:24
    I assume drag-soldering is not dressing in women's clothing and soldering.· Please explain.

Tom
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-09-13 16:29
    Watch this short video clip

www.heinc.com/xytronic/Images/Drag%20Soldering%20107.wmv

A dress is not required

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
    edited 2007-09-13 19:06
    Brian,
    I watched the video and my first thought is the flux must be very sticky to keep the part from moving. It looks like just the thing for rework or small jobs.

Tom
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-09-13 19:58
    No, I think they must have tacked it down somehow beforehand. I'll usually solder opposite corners, make sure it's resting on the pads correctly, and then solder the rest of the leads. Using the method in the video without securing it first will cause the chip to slide when soldering. That flux is not very viscous.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
  • BasilBasil Posts: 380
    edited 2007-09-13 20:55
    Well I just did a bunch of soldering last night and it was suprisingly simple (my first time with SMT)

I used:
    -Solder rework Flux paste. Comes in a 10cc syringe and is quite thick. Helps hold components in place too [noparse]:)[/noparse] $16NZD
    -Soldering iron with tiny tip (though ive heard tiny tip isn't needed) $400NZD Though any good iron with small tip is ok. This iron was overkill :P
    -Standard hobby solder (about 1.5mm dia)

The prop chip (QFP package) was very quick!
    1) Put flux paste on every pin...just drag it along them.
    2) Position the Prop.
    3) Heat the first pin. There is a small amount of solder on the PCB pad from the fab process which melts and holds the IC in place. No need to add extra solder yet.
    4) Slowly run the iron down the opposite side of the IC to the first pin you just soldered. This should stick all the pins down.
    5) Repeat for sides 2 & 3 and then side 1.
    6) For good meassure I put a tiny bit of solder on the iron and ran it down each side also.

For the 0603 components
    1) Flux the pads
    2) Position the component right beside where it is being soldered, and in the right orientation.
    3) Heat one of the pads till the solder melts (which is there from fab process)
    4) Tap the component onto the pads. It should stick the the pad you melted. I used a tiny screwdriver.
    5) Put a tiny bit of solder on the 2nd pad, and then on the 1st pad

Hope that helps!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
    edited 2007-09-13 22:55
    Alec,
    Alec said...

For the 0603 components
    1) Flux the pads
    2) Position the component right beside where it is being soldered, and in the right orientation.
    3) Heat one of the pads till the solder melts (which is there from fab process)
    4) Tap the component onto the pads. It should stick the the pad you melted. I used a tiny screwdriver.
    5) Put a tiny bit of solder on the 2nd pad, and then on the 1st pad

I have read many warnings about hand soldering ceramic smd capacitors, specifically that it will cause them to develop cracks, leading to open circuits. However, I've read in this forum and elsewhere that everybody seems to do it with no ill effects. Has anybody actually had a cap fail? Or would you even know if it wasn't in a critical part of the circuit?

Tom
    edited 2007-09-13 23:23
    TomS said...
    Alec,

I have read many warnings about hand soldering ceramic smd capacitors, specifically that it will cause them to develop cracks, leading to open circuits. However, I've read in this forum and elsewhere that everybody seems to do it with no ill effects. Has anybody actually had a cap fail? Or would you even know if it wasn't in a critical part of the circuit?

Tom

Hmmm i hadn't heard about that. I didn't see any crack, and there seem to be no adverse effects so far (my board worked first try!)
    I did have the iron up at aourn 400deg c though so heres hoping !

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-09-14 00:36
    Hi all !!

All I can·contribute to this is:

I've sold hundreds of IC's SMT in the last months by hand, also 0603 and 0805 capacitors.

I had not never problems with those caps, neither IC's.

I used flux gel that comes in syringes...· Like Basil coments before. (same method).

Although I found,·that is extremelly easy, and it is not necessary to use small and thin iron solders, I used a big one without any consequences.

In fact I think it is better....

Put a considerable good quantity of gel before sold the IC, (Like Leon said before).

Place the IC (QFP)...in the correct position solding some pins, doesn't care, if you do many short circuits in some pins at this point.

Then put the flux, and then·weld it, running with the iron between all pins...and voila !!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
    edited 2007-09-14 04:47
    I use a special mini-hoof cartridge with a Metcal system for drag-soldering, but an ordinary tip will work.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • DarrenYDarrenY Posts: 61
    edited 2007-09-14 07:18
    WOW!

So many variations smile.gif

Looks like I need to sit down and digest all these methods and then give each a try and see which works for me - i'm sure that when I get into it I will have more questions but for now - thank you to all those who have made suggestions. I think i'm going to give the Basil/BTX method a try first.

Cheers!
    edited 2007-09-14 08:02
    Alberto,

I'm not suprised a bigger iron worked well, too often small irons are used and they have to be left in place for a long time to melt the solder. I generally prefer the hot and fast approach. Using low temperatures solders makes a smaller iron more practical.

Graham
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-09-14 12:32
    @DarrenY
    You'll find that is much more easy that you think !!

@Graham
    Also I can't believe when I discover the flux gel ...it is great !! I tried with so many pencils...all works fine, but the "gel" get the first place for me.
    Also I was using a very small iron solder...but I changed by the common one, when I saw a PACE soldering station for this purpose, and the "Single Sided Chisel" was so big like my old standard 30 Watt solder.... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-09-14 12:40
    It is easy, but go slow in the beginning as you need to discover a lot of methods that best fit into your workbench. Also, everytime I design a printed circuit board, it seems V2.0 is better than V1.0. We often don't see a better way for things until we have order 10 or so boards as samples AND work with the actual assemble.

In sum, be patient and get hands on experience - talk can only go so far.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-09-15 08:22
    Hi All,

Thought id try my cheapo iron on some 0603's and TSSOP packages...my $40 iron with standard tip is easier then $400+ soldering station with very fine tip!

If only I had of tried sooner...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
  • IAN STROMEIAN STROME Posts: 49
    edited 2007-09-16 00:10
    Hi All,
    Been soldering smt stuff by hand for 10+ years.I personally use the big
    tipped iron/drag method.Get the the heat in quickly,get it away quickly.
    Never used solder gel, I use fluxed solder braid 1.5mm to clean up the
    bridged pins afterwards, I found paper glue, Prit Stick, or Copydex to glue
    the chip in position works just fine.No problems up to 240 pins @ 0.5mm.

Regards Ian
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-09-19 16:19
    Has anyone ever bothered building with chips that are described "44-Ball ICSP Package" or the like?
  • IAN STROMEIAN STROME Posts: 49
    edited 2007-09-20 02:29
    Hi Fred,
    Nope BGA looks like a nightmare,I would imagine you need some sort
    of oven, faith, and a lot of luck!!

I'm never going to use it, so if anybody wants a 196 ball BGA 1mm
    spacing ADSP21065 for practice I'll send it to them.

Ian.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-09-20 02:36
    I don't think the BGA package was meant to be soldered... I think there are a bunch of solder balls under contacts that are meant to be pressure contacts. I think the CPU industry went away from this package because it's really only good for the first contact cycle...
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-09-20 03:12
    BGA solder balls are meant to be soldered. Too much heat and the bga sinks onto the board and you have shorts galore.

QUOTE: www.radio-electronics.com/info/manufacture/soldering/smt-soldering/bga-solder.php
    For BGA soldering, the solder balls on the package have a very carefully controlled amount of solder, and when heated in the soldering process, the solder melts. Surface tension causes the molten solder to hold the package in the correct alignment with the circuit board, while the solder cools and solidifies. The composition of the solder alloy and the soldering temperature are carefully chosen so that the solder does not completely melt, but stays semi-liquid, allowing each ball to stay separate from its neighbours.

Registration of the package is probably the biggest problem as is profiling the reflow oven. The other problem is that with high density bgas you need multilayer pcbs, so your protos can be expensive and you can stuff them up until you get the reflow profile right (assuming you have some method of aligning).

*Peter*
    edited 2007-09-20 05:39
    I have heard of someone who got a large Xilinx FPGA BGA chip working by gluing it upside down to a prototyping board and soldering wire-wrap wires to the pads. He bought the (pulled) chip cheap on Ebay. He wasn't using many of the I/Os, of course.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Leon) : 9/20/2007 5:45:31 AM GMT
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2007-09-20 07:49
    I watched a guy do it "on the cheap" once.. (actually he did it several times).

What he used was a focussed IR Lamp to heat the BGA Device.

He had a small CCTV camera with a macro focus lens watching the gap between the BGA and the board so you could see some of the solder balls. He then turned on the IR lamp and waited until the
    BGA "dropped" which was the 1st phase of the solder going plastic. It then does a second "drop" as the solder flows properly, at which time he switched off the IR source.

The IR lamp he was using was basically a small, relatively powerful incandescent heat lamp with a mask to ensure it only heated the BGA and immediately surrounding area.

It was a fascinating demonstration and the job turned out to be very, very good under examination with a microscope.

The BGA was positioned on the board using the CCTV camera to ensure the registration was pretty close, and held in place with a little flux gel.. but as the solder melts it automatically aligns the BGA properly
    on the pads. You can actually have quite a bit of mechanical misalignment and it will just pull itself into place with the surface tension of the solder.
    edited 2007-09-20 09:40
    I'm convinced that a jig and a hot plate might allow BGA soldering. The idea is that a jig ensured that the bga can only end up where it is supposed to go, the hot plate provides heat where it is needed smoothly.

I'd like to try it on at least a small device. I know there will be nay sayers but bgas are not magic they are just lots of solder balls.

Graham
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-09-20 16:27
    Actually these ball grids sound easier to me than using a soldering iron for anything. It's just a printer's registration problem. Though making a double sided pcb is probably the bigger problem for me.
  • DarrenYDarrenY Posts: 61
    edited 2007-09-20 19:16
    Has anyone made any Prop libraries for DipTrace?