Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Newbie Has Dumb Questions — Parallax Forums

Propeller Newbie Has Dumb Questions

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2007-09-12 18:36 in Propeller 1
All--

I have been on the forum for some time and somewhat active on the Stamp side. Thanks to Martin Hebel, HERE I am.

I have very, very fundamental questions regarding the Propeller environment with which I should begin. I am very comfortable with both the BOE and PDB environments. (Who wouldn't be?) There does not seem to be an equivalent environment for the Propeller chip. The closest I can find is the Propeller Education Kit, but I may well be wrong about that, too.

I need all 32 I/O pins for my project. (Well, maybe not ALL of them, but certainly more than the eight accessible pins available with the Propeller Demo Board.) My reading tells me that the Propeller Education Kit will let me breadboard the chip and gain access to all the pins. Does the kit also provide the other functions I--as a newbie--will need, such as a VGA port (I see no mention of it in the summary documentation).

Forgive me if I have wrong impressions . . . that's what being a newbie is all about!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-09-12 03:42
    Welcome Bill!
    I knew you'd be joining us here [noparse]:)[/noparse] One of the best getting-started boards is the ProtoBoard. - Access to all 32 I/O with the support hardware, and you can add VGA, all for $25.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32212

But you do need a PropPlug for programming.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32201

If you need to breadboard 1st, you might think about the PropStick USB - a modularized DIP version with support hardware you can plug into your breadboard, and it has the USB on chip.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32210

I'm swamped at work, don't post often currently, but many others will answer any questions you have.

Happy Spinning,
    Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting Software
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2007-09-12 04:05
    Martin (and All)--

Ha! I knew I would get you!
    If you need to breadboard 1st, you might think about the PropStick USB
    My reading tells me that I would have to find out how to build a VGA interface to the breadboarded PropStick USB. I am sure that there is a lot of documentation concerning that interface. Would someone be kind enough to point me in its direction?

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-09-12 04:20
    Bill,

Welcome!

check out SpinStudio at ucontroller.com

also in the "tutorials" section there is the Propeller cookbook. It will show you how to add many features to your projects.

Some features are difficult to add because the connectors do not fit easily into the standard 0.1" solderless breadboard.

I'm sure other's will respond with some other directions for you to explore as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-09-12 05:23
    Bill,
    I recommend the ed kit because it offers you every pin to use tomorrow. And let's you change your mind in a second. And it includes the prop plug and a nifty box.
    Con: the mouse/keyoard/monitor accessory kit doesn't fit without a lot of messing around -- it's easier to just wirewrap those connections and skip the socket kit.
    And the breadboard will be always handy for working out new components.

The proto board is not as friendly or flexible -- you'll have to solder your access points. In its favor the mouse/keyboard/monitor assessory kit fits right into the board. But you'll still have to solder it and the accompanying resistors. Plus it is quite inexpensive, especially if you get a five pack....

Fred
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-12 05:33
    Just apropos:
    The "video interface" consists of three resistors (1 k, 470R, 220R) joint to any plug you like smile.gif - and coming off out of 7 possible 3 pin posistions you like... The Prop is flexible...
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-09-12 13:31
    Be sure and grab a copy of the "Cookbook"
    ucontroller.com/Propeller%20Protoboard%20Designs%20for%20the%20Beginner.pdf

Naturally, I'm a big fan of the Protoboard myself..
    Welcome to the group!

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Cavin and Hobbes.
  • D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-09-12 18:36
    Check out this thread I started: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=214978

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    LOOKDOWN ThisThread, [noparse][[/noparse]Your_?, My_?, Cool_Thing], looknum
    LOOKUP looknum, [noparse][[/noparse]1, 2, 3], subnum
    ON subnum GOTO Hope_this_helps, Thanks!, WOW!!
    END