············· Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Fix it if ain't broke·
D Rat

Dave Ratcliff· N6YEE

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-09-04 15:32
    and here's to the next 20 [noparse]:)[/noparse] keep up the amazing work.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-09-04 17:13
    Thanks ratronic and Baggers!

It's a big deal, indeed. Looking back at how Parallax·started is truly amazing. As a kid, Chip used to carry around this small blue physics book so he had something to do in the car. Once he·made·a chemical mix that boiled over with purple foam·flowing onto·the carpet, all·while·our parents were trying to load·us in the·car and go to church.·He was always dreaming of things like jet packs and milling machines. In 5th grade he wrote a paper "how a computer works" and the teacher didn't understand it.

My dad·did some amazing things that fueled this innovation, like·putting Dremel tools, saws and soldering irons in our bedroom.·Later he brought home some of the first Apple computers from his employer. Chip tore them apart on Friday and would reassemble them by Monday.·Chip would pester·dad over how something technical works, until my dad would finally crack and·snap back·"I don't know, I don't know!".·Chip made bombs in the kitchen before we'd be considered terrorists. This was all part of learning.

Probably doesn't sound very corporate, does it? There's even more that I'd love to share, but the 'net is such a permanent place.

Products followed, first for the C-64 and then the Apple II.·There's a lot that happened between then and today.·The Parallax·team is truly motivated and skilled, and without them we couldn't provide the service and products that·customers want to buy today.

Speaking of, watch the forums today for lots of customer-oriented promotions. Our 20th is for you.

Today and anytime in the future we welcome all of you to visit Parallax.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax,·Inc.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2007-09-04 17:38
    I wish I could here some more of those stories, but I understand about the net and all!
    Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fix it if ain't broke·
    D Rat

Dave Ratcliff· N6YEE
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-09-04 18:25
    Hi Ken,

Loved the stories, I know what you mean about the teachers though, our computer teacher was a converted maths teacher, so I self taught myself, 200*faster than he was reading up on it, so I was pretty much left to it.
    I just wish the electronics teacher was a good one, as we had electronic lessons, BUT, the teacher, was a read this page, and copy that page, and don't bother asking any questions [noparse]:([/noparse]
    And two years ago, over a 5 minute MSN chat with a friend from a forum, he answered all the questions I wanted answering, I feel I missed out on 26 years of electronics, that I could have had immense fun with. Oh well, at least I can catch up on all the fun now [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Especially since I've been working professionally with computers and consoles for 22 of those years.

Also, I'd love to come visit Parallax, so if ever I'm going to the US, I'll make time to come visit, it would be great to meet the man who made a chip that has gave me soooo much ol' time coding lately.

Cheers,
    Best regards, and again happy 20th [noparse]:)[/noparse]

All the best.
    Jim.
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-09-04 19:13
    Happy 20th Birthday and as for stories about Chip; how about we call him "Bob" instead and you can tell us all about him [noparse]:)[/noparse] (We'll promise not to reveal the true identity of "Bob")

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | To know recursion, you must first know recursion.
  • ciw1973ciw1973 Posts: 64
    edited 2007-09-04 19:20
    Congratulations to all at Parallax!

Baggers said...
    I know what you mean about the teachers though, our computer teacher was a converted maths teacher, so I self taught myself, 200*faster than he was reading up on it, so I was pretty much left to it.

That sounds familiar.

Our teacher (also a maths teacher with surprisingly little interest in computers and someone who'd spend the first half of the lesson reading up what he would then attempt to teach in the second half) would just send people to me when they asked questions.

I finished all of the projects in the first couple of lessons of a two year course, and to be honest, just spent my time arsing around from that point on, but at the end of the course, after *he'd* lent out pretty much all of my finished project documentation to the other students, he had the cheek to have a go at me as by that stage most of it was incomplete or had gone missing completely, and threaten to fail me!

I've always found computers and electronics fascinating, but then they were interests I'd had from around the age of ten. It's all too easy though, to understand how people get turned off the subjects when their initial introduction is an incompetent fool with no passion for, or any real understand of what they're teaching.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-09-04 19:44
    hop.gif HAPPY 20TH PARALLAX! hop.gif

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Cavin and Hobbes.
  • _Mark_Mark Posts: 36
    edited 2007-09-05 01:53
    Happy 20th! cool.gif

-- Mark
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-09-05 02:53
    Congrats, and here's to a lot more in the future.

I'm happy you guys are around. I look forward to my Propeller time, just as I did my time on the earlier machines. It's just too much fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-09-05 04:31
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...

Products followed, first for the C-64 and then the Apple II.·There's a lot that happened between then and today.·The Parallax·team is truly motivated and skilled, and without them we couldn't provide the service and products that·customers want to buy today.

I have programmed a C64 emulator for the PC and I sometimes wonder if the Propeller 2 would be powerful enough to emulate·one? Wouldn't that bring the company full circle. smile.gif