Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Languages — Parallax Forums

Languages

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2007-09-05 10:19 in Propeller 1
As the Propeller has grown in it's userbase, more and more people are coming here who cannot speak english or who's english is a second language and the quality of it leads to misunderstandings of the questions. We at Parallax want everyone to experience the technical support people who understand English have come to expect. I for one only understand a few words from a few languages, and online translation·services such as babelfish offer only a limited number of languages and do a horrible job translating things which are technical in nature.

So this is what I propose, those of you who visit the Propeller forum on a regular basis (at least 2-3 times a week) and don't mind translating people's posts, please respond to this thread with the languages you are proficient with (English is a given). And if you don't visit that often but would still be interested in helping out, send me a Private Message with your email address and the languages you can translate, and I will send you an email alert when your translation services are needed. I will compile a list of people according to the language, so I know who to ask when the situation arises.

Thanks,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Paul Baker
Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2007-09-04 07:41
    I visit the forum every day and can translate from/to Spanish.
    Which would be exactly the mechanism to insert a translation?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-09-04 07:46
    I am on the forums pretty much every day and can translate from Dutch to English.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | To know recursion, you must first know recursion.
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-09-04 08:20
    Hello,

I visit a few times/week. And, for periods, several times/day.

I can translate from Swedish and our neighboring languages Danish and Norwegian. I can also translate from German and French.

Translating is half translating and half guessing. For a good result, it will be necessary to communicate with the original poster. Can that be arranged?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-04 08:33
    Skogsrurra! Don't make the things more complicated than they are. Just post your translation and ask your question wrt that as a standrad posting!

But I am definitely impressed by your language skills!
  • HansMHansM Posts: 6
    edited 2007-09-04 08:46
    I visit the forum on a regular basis, can translate from german, dutch and some french into english. Would be happy to help!

Hans
  • edited 2007-09-04 15:23
    I visit the forum on a regular basis too... I will be more than happy to help in translating to/from Spanish... smile.gif
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-09-04 17:54
    deSilva has the correct understanding, it will just be someone who posts thier translation in the thread so those who cannot read the post may answer, then the person would translate the answer(s) back.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-09-04 19:21
    Hey! C'mon now!

Do not expect a non-native to do translation both from and TO a foreign language! Except English, which is what most of computer and electronics people do both ways. from one language to mother tonge and English is OK. But do not expect the reverse to work. You need to live in a country for many years to be able to translate into its language without doing mistakes. No professional translating agency lets a non-native translate the "wrong way". That's a fact.

And MrDesigner - I do not complicate matters. I am only realistic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-09-04 19:32
    For deSilva: I have worked and lived in Germany (Erlangen) for quite a while and still - look what mistakes I do when I try to translate the above text into German:

Hallo! Pass mal auf!

Erwarten Sie nicht dass ein nicht-Eingeborener
  • _Mark_Mark Posts: 36
    edited 2007-09-05 02:03
    Hi peeps, I only just registered on this forum (have been lurking on and off for a long time though, currently waiting for my first prop to arrive roll.gif ). I'd be happy to translate between English, Dutch and German. My German is not great, but I understand it well enough to translate from it. Dutch is my native language.
  • bluecrowbluecrow Posts: 1
    edited 2007-09-05 03:59
    I come to the forums almost on a daily basis, though I have never really contributed or asked anything (as every time I have questions I find out that somebody else already beat me to it and the answer is already in some thread on the forumssmile.gif.

I can help translating English to/from Spanish and French.

BTW, what about creating a "Rosseta Stone" of electronics/robotics related terms? could be just a table with each row having the English technical term and the equivalent on different languages? (could be a wiki page or something allowing anybody to contribute smile.gif. I just googled for something along those lines and couldn't find anything of the sort. This would help a lot the non-english speaking people, at least for the basic stuff.

-Daniel
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-09-05 10:19
    I'd like to start the rosetta stone list with the following useful phrase:

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Afrikaans: My skeertuig is vol palings
    Albanian: Hoverkrafti im