Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie questions — Parallax Forums

Newbie questions

ChristophChristoph Posts: 13
edited 2007-09-02 19:53 in Propeller 1
Hi everybody,

I'm totally new to the propeller, my "Propeller Starter Kit" came three days ago. And now questions start to come up [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Is there a documentation for the demo board that I failed to hunt down? I've got a little bag with electronic components, some of which I can't even identify ...
(one of them has a little sticker on it: "remove seal after washing": Now that puzzled me ... do I have to wash the seal or myself? And living far away from the coast, we don't even have any seals around here anyway ... [noparse]:)[/noparse] )

Where can I get the code for the program that was in the eeprom originally? It shows the animation with the mouse moveable cross hair and does A/D -> D/A of the microphone. The demo programs I've found so far don't do both ...

First successes: I connected an XBEE to the propeller which is now happily sending away [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Keep spinning,
Christoph

Comments

• SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-09-01 21:18
    Do you really want an answer to that seal thing. It sounds like you know the answer already, but couldn't resist. Gave me a good laugh...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-09-01 21:45
    The idea is that, after washing the microphone, if a seal shows up, you have to remove it before you use the Demo Board. If one doesn't appear, obviously, you don't have to remove it because it isn't there (unless you have a phantom seal ... that's a longer discussion ... we're talking about quantum resonances and seal entanglement).

The issue of the demo program came up before. I think Beau or Paul posted a link to it, but I don't have a copy.
  • ChristophChristoph Posts: 13
    edited 2007-09-01 21:49
    Skogsgurra said...
    Do you really want an answer to that seal thing. It sounds like you know the answer already, but couldn't resist. Gave me a good laugh...

well [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Half and half, yes. I mean, the kit is meant for beginners and I could imagine a tiny manual for the board ... Okay, there's the (excellent) "Propeller Manual" and of course schematics for the board, I know. So I'll manage, like everyone else [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Christoph
  • Franz AchatzFranz Achatz Posts: 140
    edited 2007-09-01 22:12
    Christoph said...
    Hi everybody,

I'm totally new to the propeller, my "Propeller Starter Kit" came three days ago. And now questions start to come up [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Is there a documentation for the demo board that I failed to hunt down? I've got a little bag with electronic components, some of which I can't even identify ...
    (one of them has a little sticker on it: "remove seal after washing": Now that puzzled me ... do I have to wash the seal or myself? And living far away from the coast, we don't even have any seals around here anyway ... [noparse]:)[/noparse] )

Where can I get the code for the program that was in the eeprom originally? It shows the animation with the mouse moveable cross hair and does A/D -> D/A of the microphone. The demo programs I've found so far don't do both ...

First successes: I connected an XBEE to the propeller which is now happily sending away [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Keep spinning,
    Christoph
    Christoph,

washing yourself once a week, i think will be ok.
    DO NOT WASH THE PROP !!!!! He shows up very cleaned and·has a nice smelling before it burns away !!!!
    Just remove the sealing label and give your new prop a try.
    Oh, but you allready got XBee up and running at the Prop.
    Nice done and my congrats !!!!!

Franz

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Please visit my online Propeller at:

http://achatz.xs4all.nl
    edited 2007-09-01 22:19
    Mike Green said...
    The idea is that, after washing the microphone, if a seal shows up, you have to remove it before you use the Demo Board. If one doesn't appear, obviously, you don't have to remove it because it isn't there (unless you have a phantom seal ... that's a longer discussion ... we're talking about quantum resonances and seal entanglement).
    Let's face it, it was a seal-ly question [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Mike Green said...
    The issue of the demo program came up before. I think Beau or Paul posted a link to it, but I don't have a copy.
    I might even have seen that but I've been searching for hours now (instead of playing with the board ...) and can't find it.
    Hey, searching the forum: does it work? It seems that searches with more than one word don't give?

Thanks,

Christoph
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-09-02 06:25
    Christoph,

Did you use the forum search function or search.parallax.com ? The latter is powered by Google and works a bit better and by bit I mean it actually works, unlike the other search functionality. With a bit of tweaking you could refine the search even more.
    For example, searching for PWM frequency inurl:f=25 will limit your search to the Propeller forum. I'm sure you'll figure it out, it's a lot easier than removing a seal from a piezo [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Gr,
    Mightor

PS, if you're having trouble removing the seal from the piezo, try luring it away with some fresh fish, that worked for me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | To know recursion, you must first know recursion.
  • Mark BramwellMark Bramwell Posts: 56
    edited 2007-09-02 07:04
    If you use the firefox web-browser, you can go to my website to give yourself a propeller search engine add-in.

www.foxhollow.ca/propeller/

I find it is a nice way to search for interesting info.
    edited 2007-09-02 12:29
    Mark Bramwell said...
    If you use the firefox web-browser, you can go to my website to give yourself a propeller search engine add-in.

www.foxhollow.ca/propeller/

I find it is a nice way to search for interesting info.

Thanks, that's extremely helpful. I was already suspecting there was an issue with the forum's search [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Christoph
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-09-02 18:31
    Christof,

Could you tell us something about yourself. What are you doing, why did you pick the Prop... what are you hoping to do with your Prop.

I was a little confused about that seal thing too... I just took it off and threw it back in the box and the next thing I know I have Government inspectors at my door.

Rich
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-09-02 18:36
    Just don't break the 7th seal, you'll have a lot more at your door than just a government inspector.

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | To know recursion, you must first know recursion.
    edited 2007-09-02 19:53
    rjo_ said...
    Christof,

Could you tell us something about yourself. What are you doing, why did you pick the Prop... what are you hoping to do with your Prop.

I'm interested in uProcessors and for actually making something that works robotics are an interesting field. So I'm on a constant lookout for the perfect processor. The one that offers enough pins, enough memory, does all the necessary I/O, and that fast, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    The Propeller looks like a possible candidate ...
    rjo_ said...

I was a little confused about that seal thing too... I just took it off and threw it back in the box and the next thing I know I have Government inspectors at my door.

Rich

Oh, I solved that one. I'm not gonna use something where I have to wash for anyway.

[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Christoph