Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flash Drives — Parallax Forums

Flash Drives

lrumlerlrumler Posts: 5
edited 2007-09-01 04:15 in Propeller 1
I am interested in the possibilities of using USB Flash drives in conjunction with the propellor. Is there any way to incorporate a USB drive that I would be able to access from the computer that is hooked up to the propellor board if the Flash drive is attached to the board as well? It would be similar to an SD card in a digital camera. I would love to be able to modify files directly from the computer without having to move the drive from one device to the other.

Thank you,

Lucas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." -Samuel Johnson

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-09-01 03:44
    Welcome to the forum...

There's not much support for flash drives, without using additional hardware...
    but how about access to SD media that is compatible your PC.

Check out the SD entry in the Cookbook..

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=665736

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Cavin and Hobbes.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-09-01 03:56
    Here's a product offered by Parallax

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27937

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-09-01 04:15
    Lucas,

Hello from the Land of Lincoln.

I am not an engineer... so, any opinions I express are from a partly formed brain.

Interesting that you should ask. If you are asking "currently" is this issue solved...? The answer is if it has been solved, nobody is talking about it.
    But the Propeller is in a constant state of evolution. The Propeller talks to the computer through a USB interface that includes a Viniculum chip...
    In the current version of the Propeller... not much gets done with the chip except for the dedicated serial based protocols. In theory, a little glue could be added in Spin or Propeller Assembly... and that glue could allow the Propeller to do all kinds of interesting things with the Viniculum, including being able to talk to it from a terminal window on your computer... and that would allow you manipulate files on a thumb drive attached to your Prop, with the Viniculum acting as a smart gateway.

There are several guys here that have exactly the kinds of brains that make this sort of thing happen. I would expect this kind of development to occur around the same time as the next version of the Propeller comes out... or possibly much sooner. I don't know if there has been any discussion about it... but putting a Viniculum chip right on the same board with the Propeller makes perfect sense... and then you could have two USB ports!

It is a matter of time...

If you are interested in doing this sort of thing yourself, I would suggest an article in the July Issue of Circuit Cellar Magazine by John Hyde... page 59.
    If that makes perfect sense to you...then you could do it yourself and there is a lot of sample code floating around the Forum and in the Object Exchange that will help you. One of the things that gets overlooked is just how easy the Propeller is to learn... that is not only because of the architecture, but also to the supporting documentation... and of course, because of the Forum. You can jump in anywhere it makes sense for you to do so.

If you have a modest amount of money available to support starving engineers, I would suggest spending it on a consultant (you can simply send a PM to one of the usual contributors.) I have my favorites, but read a little and you will soon have you own.

I am not a consultant... and this would probably take me a few months to do, if I wasn't already occupied. Some of the guys on the forum could do it in their sleep.

Good luck

Rich

ILMP
    (I love my Propeller)