Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinning logo — Parallax Forums

Spinning logo

mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
edited 2007-08-31 22:13 in Propeller 1
Here's my attempt at a Hydra version of the animated GIF from this thread in the Propeller forum, http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=669987.

Requirements: Hydra, NTSC TV.

A brief video of it in action: www.finitesite.com/mpark/spinning_logo_001.wmv

The conversion to Hydra colors and screen size was done mechanically without a lot of finesse. I think the quality could be much improved if we can just convince Clemens to do yet another version, this time with a Hydra-optimized palette and a funky aspect ratio...

I'd be interested to hear how it looks on other people's TVs. I've only seen it on my little LCD.

Comments

• MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2007-08-31 14:21
    Very nice! I'm glad I thought of this. I'm surprised that no one else did before me...
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-08-31 19:22
    Also tested it on my own Hydra with a 5" LCD screen: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwOQJOwH9i0

The text is a little close to unreadable though. But nevertheless, it is still.

My biggest concern here is that this logo, which is meant I believe just to be a "splash screen" for other programs, by itself takes up almost all of the RAM on the Prop, leaving only 396 free longs for your own code.

While I really don't know much about this, since the image is the same (as far as I know) with the exception of the propeller on the hat itself, couldn't you just animate that, instead of having screen-sized relatively similar bitmaps?
    edited 2007-08-31 19:31
    Spork Frog said...

While I really don't know much about this, since the image is the same (as far as I know) with the exception of the propeller on the hat itself, couldn't you just animate that, instead of having screen-sized relatively similar bitmaps?

I'm going to use a screen that has a built in SD card for image storage. This will take the load off of the Prop.
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-08-31 19:39
    So you'll be playing it via the screen, or pulling images from the SD card and displaying them using the Prop?
    edited 2007-08-31 19:43
    Spork Frog said...
    So you'll be playing it via the screen, or pulling images from the SD card and displaying them using the Prop?

As I understand it, I send the LCD controller a command to access the images from the SD card. The LCD controller's built-in ARM microcontroller takes care of displaying it.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-08-31 19:49
    The program actually does animate only the propeller area of the screen. In the archive you'll see eight files named prop64x20*.dat; these are the 64 pixel by 20 pixel propeller frames.·The screen itself is 128 x 160.

Other than that, I agree about the memory issue. I could have cut the propeller frames down even more, but I doubt it would have made that much difference. I never claimed this was useful!

Post Edited (mpark) : 8/31/2007 7:57:26 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-31 19:52
    MarkS said...
    Very nice! I'm glad I thought of this. I'm surprised that no one else did before me...
    Back in late march/early april I was going to create an animated·5 color spining beanie logo for·my Embedded Systems Conference demo, but I ran out of time to complete it and more important things always come up. Some of the tiles I created for it are still in my demo program posted in the thread regarding ESC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 8/31/2007 7:57:49 PM GMT
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-08-31 20:14
    Nice!
    Too bad I don't have a Hydra. I tried to "convert" it for the demoboard with the usual adjustments, but somehow it didn't work. Besides I have a PAL TV and none of the HYDRA Drivers seem to have a PAL mode so I couldn't see the colors anyway.
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-08-31 22:13
    ... and don't forget Beau's beautiful 3D logo. Ok in this case the complete hat is spinning, not just the propeller. wink.gif

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=605385