Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
through-hole sd socket? — Parallax Forums

through-hole sd socket?

Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
edited 2007-08-30 22:03 in Propeller 1
I'm looking for an SD card socket that has through hole (not SMT) leads. I'm thinking of adding SD card support to my Hydra.

I've seen Sparkfun's SD breakout board, but $17 is a little steep for me. I've also seen the Poor Man's sd card socket, but I'm not convinced as to its reliablility.

Any suggestions? Something from Mouser would be nice since I'll be placing an order there soon anyway.

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-08-30 16:40
    I have a SD adapter available - ucontroller.com for details, it includes the socket, and pullup resistors. The greatest thing about it is the header only has the pins that matter. I have instructions in the documentation that show how to plug it directly into a Proto Board, Demo Board, or solderless breadboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-08-30 18:32
    Still a little expensive for me, but I do like the design. I think that's what I'll be getting when I do get something.

Actually... I have heared of people simply using a standard card-edge connector for SD cards... anyone got any info?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-08-30 18:37
    On the cheap, you could get a couple samples from Molex and solder them (carefully) to a perfboard. There's a diagram for this in the "Cookbook" I had to bend the 'data out' line just slightly, but it worked fine.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2007-08-30 18:47
    Look at this thread, it uses an old floppy drive cable, it works fine

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=643801
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-30 22:00
    or this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=661502 Poor Man's SD Card socket
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-08-30 22:03
    Thanks for the suggestions; I'm going to try and use the card-edge connector for now.