Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallel interface Character LCD gotchas! — Parallax Forums

Parallel interface Character LCD gotchas!

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2007-08-28 20:53 in Propeller 1
Recently I designed a prop board to interface to a standard parallel interface character lcd module. This is so ho-hum, another lcd module, woo-hoo. But it wasn't so. No matter what I tried the lcd module would not respond shakehead.gif . Tried another from the same batch, same thing. Checked my timing, scoped it out etc and still couldn't get it going. Then I tried a different brand module. Ah ha! now it works! (so it should).

What was the problem? Well that troublesome lcd module had been used in production for years with no problems. idea.gif Only difference was that it was run from 5V logic, maybe that was the problem. The easiest way I could test it was to up the supply voltage to the propeller so I connected an infrared led with a voltage drop of around 1.2V (under load) from +5V to VDD bypassing the 3.3V regulator (the prop's absolute max is +4V!!! nono.gif ). Lo and behold, the beast behaves.

Anyway I've emailed the lcd manufacturer eyes.gif to find out more about their controller as it's a chip-on-board blob but behaves similar to the standard 44780.

BTW, I use my lcd's in write-only mode by tying the r/w low so that I don't have any voltage interfacing issues plus the operation is deterministic anyway.

*Peter*

Comments

• BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-08-28 14:24
    Just don't draw much more than that LED's max current, or bad things will happen.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-08-28 14:46
    IR leds are normally rated for higher currents (actually they dissipate less heat due to lower Vf) but this was only done as a quick way of getting a higher VDD for the prop. The 3.3V regulator is still in-circuit as well so if the current was too much the forward voltage drop would increase to the point where the regulator would take the current. I don't really like the idea of running the prop at this higher voltage though so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, this is more of an exercise in troubleshooting and to alert others to these incompatible displays (YMS202).

*Peter*
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-28 20:53
    Peter,
    Can you illustrate this hack with a quick schematic?
    Thanks, Fred