Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
how to contain pcb in housing? — Parallax Forums

how to contain pcb in housing?

jaspittmanjaspittman Posts: 22
edited 2007-09-18 08:16 in General Discussion
I have made a program that controls a butterfly valve based on the temperature in a flume. I would like to make up a pcb and house it in a plastic case. I use one pot, one toggle switch, one led, and one push button. I’d like to have these contained on the plastic case. Where can I find a place to built pcbs and is there a hobby shop that sells cases i can use or do I have to have a company manufactures the cases’. thanks.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-08-28 02:02
    Since plastic cases are mass-produced, it's much cheaper to find a case first (e.g. from DigiKey) and design your circuit board to fit. Too often, people design their circuit boards and then go shopping for a case to put it in. The size and shape will invariably be hard to fit, and the mounting holes will never line up with the screw bosses in the case.

-Phil
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-08-29 17:06
    This thread is being moved from the Completed Projects Forum to the Sandbox Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • MorrolanMorrolan Posts: 98
    edited 2007-09-18 08:07
    If you're in the UK, I think the closest thing we have to DigiKey is Maplins and RS Components - Maplins do a good range of ABS plastic cases, I use them fairly often.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2007-09-18 08:16
    You might check in the stationary/school supplies section of your favorite store. Sometimes you can find small clear or opaque plastic boxes used to package such things as push pins, paper clips and the like. You might also check the cosmetics isle. You might be surprised what you'll find if you keep an open mind and think "repurpose". smile.gif

Steve