Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EEPROM Memory Map — Parallax Forums

EEPROM Memory Map

Ol' GeoOl' Geo Posts: 30
edited 2007-08-26 05:17 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Just finished Chap 7 in WAM 2.2.

I got a question. After WRITE and READ some values unto EEPROM at the beginning, I was unable to see any results in Memory Map where the values were supposed to be stored there, even tho' Stamp was able to READ them back. I can see program tokens at the end, but not the stored data at the beginning. How so?

Another question: After downloading a program unto EEPROM to overwrite the bigger program that was previously downloaded, I noticed some part of the bigger program was cleared out because the new program is smaller while the data at the beginning wasn't cleared. How so? Is Stamp that smart enough to distinguish program from data area?

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ol' Geo
Retired Software Engineer

An oscilloscope is a window of unseen electronic world. - GM

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-08-26 04:52
    George -

The Memory Map only displays the contents of memory after the program is loaded, NOT post execution. There is no dynamic memory map, other than by using the DEBUG command, or some other display technique.

The Stamp loads your program into one half of memory, and data into the other half (opposite ends). So, to that extent, it is "smart enough" to be able to distinguish program from data. Additionally, if you look at the READ, WRITE and DATA commands you will see that they all require or permit a memory location to be specified. Thus, you control where EEPROM memory usage begins.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Ol' GeoOl' Geo Posts: 30
    edited 2007-08-26 05:17
    Thanks, Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ol' Geo
    Retired Software Engineer

An oscilloscope is a window of unseen electronic world. - GM