Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Silly question and kinda OT, but... — Parallax Forums

Silly question and kinda OT, but...

MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
edited 2007-08-31 07:49 in Propeller 1
Is there an animated Propeller logo somewhere? I'd love to have it show up on my aquarium controller at start up. It would be nice to see a splash screen saying "Powered by Propeller" with the prop spinning. I'm no artist, though, so doing this myself is out.

Now back to your regularly scheduled hardware discussion...

Comments

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-08-25 17:05
    I don't think you're off topic. I think it would be easy to create 3 or 4 animated frames of the propeller, starting with a decent prop graphic. GIMP is a good graphic program to work with (and free). The hard part is getting the graphics into DAT code for the prop. Also, you would need to cut it down to four colors. The Propeller logo is already 5 colors + shading, not including background.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2007-08-25 17:14
    The LCD that El Paisa brought to my attention in the other thread has its own image storage (SD card) and can display 16-bit images. This will take a load off of the Prop.

I'm just not an artist by any means. I've seen a nice high-res Prop logo floating around this forum somewhere. I wonder who made that?
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-08-25 18:12
    4 colors?·It's not a 4 color limitation, but a 4 bit per pixel limitation. Run the GraphicsPalletDemo.spin, you can see just how many colors the prop is capable of. Baggers did some amazing work reading a low res picture off an SD card, it's in the link. Your color limitation is only with the TV driver and your DAC, the current driver only supports a 3 bit (read 8 voltage level) DAC. That gives you something like 64 colors. You can animate a propeller logo from within the chip without taking too much memory, or taxing the small ram too much by using the graphics.spin·object to draw lines, arcs, filled boxes, filled triangles. The whole animation can be done in spin with vectored "sprites". Read - look at the GraphicsDemo.spin·code for more examples of how the prop can calculate lines, vectors, arcs and such.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-25 20:18
    MarkS said...
    Is there an animated Propeller logo somewhere? I'd love to have it show up on my aquarium controller at start up. It would be nice to see a splash screen saying "Powered by Propeller" with the prop spinning. I'm no artist, though, so doing this myself is out.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3410680234641459619
    edited 2007-08-25 21:52
    Fred Hawkins said...
    MarkS said...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3410680234641459619

No no no. Specifically, the multi-colored Parallax Propeller beanie logo.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-25 22:13
    @RinksCustoms: It is not just THAT easy smile.gif There are - I'd say - "borderline experiments" smile.gif

Propeller Compound Video is more or less limited to 5x16 colours plus B/W and 4 grayscales. VGA is much more versatile and can be augmented by additional COG use as Baggers showed. An "intelligent" display which does not need a "pixel clock" of 25 MHz can be colored more fully.

Notice that Baggers' European SCART TV-Set is in fact a "low speed VGA" !!

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/25/2007 11:26:36 PM GMT
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-08-26 14:19
    How about this one? It's 64 colors / 8 images. The images must be repeated in this order : 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,7,6,5,4,3,2
    The attachment contains the 8 frames.
    I know the·movement is not perfect, sometimes it looks more like an expanding rubber band than a rotating propeller.
    You can see a cockwise or counterclockwise rotation (or a rubber band), it is all in your head.
    The propeller also runs in a veeery sloooow clockmode here but it's nicer to look at.
    If you use it, I hope your fish will not fall into trance from looking at it all day... tongue.gif

btw.
    I feel a little bad·for using it as an avatar, it·looks too official for a simple forum member, doesn't it?
    If someone at parallax wants to have it, I'll think of something new for myself.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-26 14:43
    Just great!
    I shall expect it to be in the ROM of the PROP II to be used for it's splash screen

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/26/2007 2:48:49 PM GMT
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2007-08-26 15:03
    Clements, that is VERY good.· I'm not very good at SPIN and I know zulu about graphics.· Can you tell me EXACTLY how to incorporate·this in my program so that it would appear for, say 30 seconds, on a blank screen.· Once I have that little routine then I can place it wherever I want.· Whenever you have the time.

Thanks you very much.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.

That is why they call it the present.

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2007-08-26 17:01
    VERY NICE!! Thank you!
    edited 2007-08-26 17:42
    OK, here we go...

Version 1:
    320 x 240 - 101K
    edited 2007-08-26 19:27
    nice, but how is that for version 2 ?
    Let's take the chrome-enhanced Parallax logo and a more propellerish typeface allright? ;-)
    can the LCD you mentioned playback anim-gifs?

@ newzed: Sorry, but you cannot·display images of that colordepth·with the propeller without additional hardware.
    MarkS uses an LCD that can store and display images.
    320 x 240 - 14K
    edited 2007-08-26 19:30
    hey look, mine has only 14kb, yours was 101kb!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-08-26 20:25
    Can you render one of these, with the text shown above, at 96 x whatever makes sense vertically, and one of just the propeller graphic at 48x32?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Post Edited (potatohead) : 8/26/2007 8:41:02 PM GMT
    edited 2007-08-26 21:51
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-08-27 01:27
    Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    edited 2007-08-30 21:44
    Clemens said...
    hey look, mine has only 14kb, yours was 101kb!

Thanks for version 2! I attribute the size difference to software and user knowledge/experience.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-08-31 07:49
    I have a quick-and-dirty version running on my Hydra. See http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=671018