Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Extra RGB LEDs — Parallax Forums

Extra RGB LEDs

StarManStarMan Posts: 306
edited 2007-09-04 22:33 in General Discussion
I bought a bunch of Nichia NSS016C SMT LEDs and I have a lot more than I will use in the immediate future.· I set up an ebay store to sell the extras.

I have quite an extensive collection of LEDs and these are by far the best RGBs I have run across.· The link to the data sheet is on the ebay listing.

Chris I.

Comments

• PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2007-09-01 14:14
    StarMan said...
    I bought a bunch of Nichia NSS016C SMT LEDs .

I'm always buying / working with, RGB LEDs. Your testimonial has me interested.

I see that your EBAY auction is finished. I can't find anything on the NSS016C.
    I found a NSCM315CT here, LINK
    Quantities of 2000 only.

Any idea where I can purchase a few of your model?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

Perfection in design is not achieved when there is nothing left to add.
    It is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2007-09-01 19:28
    PLJack,

My bad on the part number typo.· It should be NSSM016C.· Sorry.

The auctions are running until Sept 3.· I will continue to renew them until·all the LEDs are sold (or I use them).· Here's the link again: http://stores.ebay.com/Numinus-Store·

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you compare these with any thru-hole RGB LED you have.

BTW I learned a lot from your PWM·RGB LED post·on the SX forum.· Thank you.

Chris I.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2007-09-01 20:13
    PLJack, if you get some of those RGBs, I have a program for a quad display.· It uses PWM and·you can get 9 colors, running on a Stamp.· You're welcome to the program if you like.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.

That is why they call it the present.

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2007-09-02 17:28
    Chris I said...
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you compare these with any thru-hole RGB LED you have

I've found that surface mount RGB's produce better colors because the LEDs are allot closer together causing a better mix.
    Lately I've found Mouser to be a great source for RGB's.
    My favorite so far is This one, LINK.
    I recently tried this DIP RGB, LINK
    Although its more of an RGO (Red, Green, Hyper Orange)
    Chris I said...
    BTW I learned a lot from your PWM RGB LED post on the SX forum. Thank you.
    Excellent, thats why I posted it. I really need to update that thread. That code has come a long way since then, not to mention that the code posted in that thread is flawed.

Just bought two RGBs from you Chris. Looking forward to testing them.
    Sid said...
    PLJack, if you get some of those RGBs, I have a program for a quad display

Sid!. Great to hear from you.
    I'm always game for inspecting RGB code. Thats interesting that it produces nine colors. Where did you come up with that number?
    For some time I've been questioning my approach. Seems 8 bit color is unnecessary (256 colors).
    I'm starting to think that 6 bit is just fine. (64 colors). Plus 8 bit numbers get below the forward voltage of the LED.
    No one is going to see the difference between (R240, G250, B50) and (R230, G240, B5)
    I've not taken the time yet to test, but I don't believe that RGB LEDs strictly follow the RGB color model. One would think so because it's the same model as a RGB pixel on your LCD monitor. But I have not seen a RGB LED produce a deep brown or a half gray. One reason for this is that I have not found a proper way to calibrate a RGB LED. If you do the math with the resistor values the LED will most likely have a red or blue push to it. In other words, not a pure white. All my projects now use 1K resistor POTs for each color. And I adjust for a pure white.
    I think the other reason is that the color is projected as opposed to reflective. This is the same reason that you can't match your monitor color to an image printed on your ink jet. Your LCD monitor is projected as well, but the color starts as a pure white behind the LCD.
    OK, I'm just rambling now.

Thanks Chris, for the new RGB.
    Sid, I would like to peek at your code.

EDIT: Has anyone ever posted and NOT had to go back and edit a typo? smile.gif I check and double check before I post. I'm starting to think this forum software has a sense of humor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

Post Edited (PLJack) : 9/2/2007 5:35:27 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-02 19:23
    PL, you will never get grays or browns out of tyhe Nichia chips.· After much playing around i was ble to get red, green, blue, cyan, orange, magenta, pink(almost) and white.

I have attached my program for the Quad RGBs.· It uses 595's to drive the LEDs, so I am also attaching a Expresspcb layout of the board I built on SuperMill.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    edited 2007-09-03 01:42
    Newzed said...
    PL, you will never get grays or browns out of tyhe Nichia chips. After much playing around i was ble to get red, green, blue, cyan, orange, magenta, pink(almost) and white.

Probably not grays but I can see a brown being produced. I'm producing beautiful salmon's, green apple's, deep purple's, etc.
    Diffuse is your friend. Without a diffuse lens only the most basic colors appear correct.
    Newzed said...
    I have attached my program for the Quad RGBs. It uses 595's to drive the LEDs, so I am also attaching a Expresspcb layout of the board I built on SuperMill.
    Sid

You made that board on the SuperMill. How cool is that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

edited 2007-09-03 12:04
    PL, after I had the board and the·Nichia's assembled, I masked off the
    area around the chips, then made four quick passes across the Nichias with a can of flat white spray paint.· Makes a beautiful diffuser.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2007-09-04 22:33
    That is a great idea Sid.
    I use clear plastic an hit it with some fine sand paper.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -