Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
unexpected program shutdown — Parallax Forums

unexpected program shutdown

lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
edited 2007-08-22 18:59 in Propeller 1
I am not sure if I have·created a hardware of software problem·......

I have been reading the manual and have done all of the various blinker programs. I had only minor porblems and
thought I was on the right path.·· After loading a simply blinker (with a continous loop)·into eprom I noticed after
a few hours that the leds were no longer blinking. I pushed the reset button on the propstick and they started again,
only to shut down after a few more hours. I repeated this several times and continued to get shutdown after a few hours.

I then did the following:

1.· disconnected the serial cable from the prop, and pushed the reset button, the leds shut down after a few hours

2.·I verified the voltage of the input power supply at 5.2 VDC. Verified the 3.3V at the prop pin. Both were absolutely
··· steady at the correct voltage.

3. In order to measure how much time occured before shutdown, I incorporated· the· blinker program into an RTC
··· (ds1302) program and noticed that the time of shutdown occured 2 hours and 45 minutes after each restart.
··· The time of shut down was consistent over several test.···
··· this totally confuses me and leads me to believe it is not a cold solder connection but some other problem.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any suggestions about possible causes would be most appreciated.
thank you....

Larry

Comments

• LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-08-22 16:43
    PUB newpin
        dira[noparse][[/noparse]9..7] ~~       'makes pins 9, 8 and 7 outputs
        outa[noparse][[/noparse]9..7] :=%1111  'set the value pins  of 9, 8 and 7 as high +5
        waitcnt (10_000_000 + cnt)
        outa[noparse][[/noparse]9..7] :=%0000   'sets the value of pins 9, 8 and 7 as low  0
        waitcnt (20_000_000 + cnt)

why are you assigning a 4-bit value "%1111" to a 3-bit destination "outa[noparse][[/noparse]9..7]"? (just using outa[noparse][[/noparse]9..7]~~ and outa[noparse][[/noparse]9..7]~ might be simpler)

Other than that I don't see any issues with the code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-22 17:47
    Larry,

Also, you don't need to set dira more than once ... so, the first line in each method could be in your startup method before the repeat loop.

What are you using for power? What board?

Try putting a waitcnt in your top loop between your method calls.

Rich
  • lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
    edited 2007-08-22 18:59
    Thank you for the response. I am using a propstick on a stnadard breadboard. My power supply is a wall wart putting

out 5.3 V. I am not driving anything else except the propstick with it.··I will use the delay you suggested and see if has any affect.

Larry