Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
perplexed by line in keyboard.spin — Parallax Forums

perplexed by line in keyboard.spin

Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
edited 2007-08-23 19:44 in Propeller 1
line 54 of keyboard.spin (in the propeller root folder) has a longmove from @dpin to @par_keys. I can't figure out where·@dpin would be. In the DAT section there is a long called _dpin, which seems to be a horse of a different color.

PUB startx(dpin, cpin, locks, auto) : okay 
  stop
  longmove(@par_keys, @dpin, 4)
  okay := cog := cognew(@entry, @par_tail) + 1

And at end of the program at line 608:

_dpin                   res     1       'read-only at start
_cpin                   res     1       'read-only at start
_locks                  res     1       'read-only at start
_auto                   res     1       'read-only at start

What am I missing?

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-08-22 00:58
    Take a look inside the parenthesis of PUBLIC Startx(dpin.....)

That is your source for dpin's value.· It is imported via the PUBLIC nature of the start up.

_dpin is a designated location that preserves a copy of the data for later use.

Obviously, 'dpin' represents the data pin in a serial keyboard interface and 'cpin' would represent the clock pin.

Refer to the documentation notes for the remaining items within the parenthesis.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-08-22 01:05
    dpin is the first parameter in startx. The longmove is a shortcut for moving the parameters that were passed in to the other variable (par_keys) that's referenced. If I'm running out of assembly space, then I often code it as:
      stop
      _dpin  := |< dpin
      _cpin  := |< cpin
      _locks := |< locks
      _auto  := |< auto
      okay := cog := cognew(@entry, @par_tail) + 1

and

and
    _dpin                   long    0       
    _cpin                   long    0       
    _locks                  long    0       
    _auto                   long    0       

this allows you to remove the bit of assembly code that updates _dpin through _auto with the values passed in as a parameter.

·
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-22 01:18
    Generic then, this follows:

given PUB routine(param1,param2,param3 ... paramn)
    @param1 = address of first of n consecutive longs consisting of param1, param2, param3 ... paramn

Which are in the stack space if not defined elsewhere, yes? Or are they always in stack space because that's how parameters are passed?

Nevermind:

[i]Param [/i]must be globally unique, but other methods may also use the same symbol name. Each parameter is essentially a long variable and can be treated as such.

(PropMan 287)

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 8/22/2007 2:01:20 AM GMT
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-22 06:28
    Yes, Fred, a routine's "stack" starts with the first parameter, and also includes all "locals" , cell by cell (=long by long). SPIN routines must be re-entrent as they can be used from different COGs.

Your quote however is out of place. That is just the basic SCOPE rule of SPIN: NO OVERLOADING! NO SHADOWING!
    edited 2007-08-22 16:05
    deSilva, I don't understand your slogan.
    edited 2007-08-22 16:32
    I see....

SHADOWING:
    In nearly all programming languages it is possible to define "local names" in routines, blocks, or other kinds of sections; this in fact can continue "ad infinitum" when the language supports nested "blocks" or even nested procedures.

When you write a small routine in the context of large program it would be a (minor) nuissance to avoid all the thousend global names you are not interested in. Defining a local name already existing as a (relativly) "global" name is generally accepted. The global name is just not available during the time this local definition is in effect. This has nothing to do with the cell this global name refers to. You can still access is by a pointer or an alias. It's there, but you can not "see" it, as it is SHADOWED by the local name.

SPIN does not support SHADOWING, this is ratherunusual and users did never like those restrictions although there are good reason for them, in addition to that they make the task of the compiler much easier smile.gif

OVERLOADING:
    But what, if those redefined names are not of the same kind? E.g. START used as a string, as an array of reals, a procedure with one parameter, a procedure with two parameters? In most languages it can be determined out of the context which of the many STARTs you are referring to. As the name START now carries many "meanings", it is called OVERLOADED.
    This is also not supported by SPIN, though the compiler has SOME knowledge about the use of names (called "types"): It knows if it is:
    - an I/O register
    - a procedure with n parameters
    - a byte, word or long cell

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/22/2007 7:49:55 PM GMT
    edited 2007-08-22 16:57
    Thanks, that helps.
    edited 2007-08-23 00:46
    I've mulled over these responses -- thanks all -- and realized that my question was incomplete. Here's the right question:

What am I missing [noparse][[/noparse]in the manual and support documents that explains/teaches this sort of code]?
    edited 2007-08-23 00:55
    The manual does not explain, that SPIN is a sort of "structured assembly" language without any kind of data structure whatsoever.

So you might stick to fancy ideas - depending on languages you worked with formerly: Pascal? C++? Python? FORTRAN smile.gif

You expect, that a "parameter" is something untouchable or that a sequence of cells in memory is an "array". Best consider everything from the machine language point of view!
    edited 2007-08-23 03:08
    deSilva,
    Actually, my background is mostly line numbered retro BASIC, assembly (9900, 68000; both big-endian) and FORTH. Pascal always made me puke -- classic EU hairshirt. C was worse -- programming for the two-fingered, C++ was/is something for deeppocketed two-fingered, and FORTRAN was before my time.

What I think I miss about the Propeller manual is succinct summary of addressing and reference modes, both in regards to Spin and Assembly. Including assumed variable creation like what happens above as opposed to overt VAR, CON, DAT, |, : constructions. My other wish list contains (today) a binary dump and a careful discussion of run-time and compile-time behaviors.

In this particular example, I now accept that "dpin, cpin, locks, auto" are longs sequentially in memory, but I can't prove that behavior except that it apparently works dependably. The manual doesn't seem to weigh in except as I quoted it above. Left to my own, I would have and did in fact surmise that "dpin, cpin, locks, auto" were items on a stack that are consumed by the call -- Forth's stack model. Wrong again. I can now see that I will have to work hard against that particular mindset.

Another periphery complication is that in Keyboard.spin, the two routines start and startx have similiar parameters:
    PUB start(dpin, cpin) : okay
    One of the things that bothers me about the above longmove is how to decide which @dpin is meant. I am left with a guess at scope. But not much help in that regard is found in the manual.

Fred
    edited 2007-08-23 19:44
    Fred,
    its the DPIN that is "visible" for that LONGMOVE.

I think that the writers on the manual had a kind of C language in mind and expect this pre-knowledge from their readers. They where not aware (Manual Writers! Please excuse me if I am wrong!) , that
    - there are MANY more MUCH MORE advanced languages, where certain high level concepts (like "true" and multi dimensional arrays) are used. C is somewhat of "general knowledge", but the "state of the art" now is 40 years A.C. smile.gif
    - There are many "newcomers", with mostly electronic or elementary BASIC background, who have no C experience, and do not know and do not care why compiler writers have done certain things in the past..

From my experience of teaching programming languages to students of other faculties - though it's long ago - maybe I am more aware of this...

A major problem - when adapting to observed facts, not documented in the manual - is that this may change, with versions of more advanced and optimizing compilers, e.g. there might be reasons to arrange the stack upside down, so the last local variable will have the lowest addres and the first parameter the highest...

Keeping silence had never been a good strategy, as users will (and have to!) exploit all possible features, especially in time and space restricted systems as the Prop.

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/23/2007 7:49:06 PM GMT