Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Test card — Parallax Forums

Test card

ValidatorValidator Posts: 5
edited 2007-08-22 11:52 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

I'm new to .spin but I have been involved with PICs and Stamp's and BASIC and ASM for many years.· Having read about Propeller I jumped in at the deep end with the starter kit and loaded up the TV_Terminal_Demo.· It didn't take long to figure out how to switch from NTSC to PAL but I have to say that so far the results, though usable, are a little dissapointing on my Sony multistandard CRT monitor.· The major problem can best be described as crawling interference on the displayed characters.

Does anyone have any pointers on improving the display or a working test card spin I could test, prefferably in PAL?

regards

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-21 15:45
    This is a known problem and addressed from time to time.... I do no longer use PAL.

It seems that 80 MHz cannot be transformed close enough to the color clock required by PAL.

What is the natural resolution of your monitor? Stick to that! It is best to adjust all your drivers to that. It's not a simple task for a beginner though.

The best compromise for me is to use a 640x480 VGA monitor feeding it with 320x240 pixels (= "QVGA") for Graphics (this also works fine with low cost TVs or car monitors) and with its natural resolution for text only.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-21 16:55
    Using a crystal that is 4.433619 MHz should clear up your screen.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • ValidatorValidator Posts: 5
    edited 2007-08-22 11:52
    I tried changing the crystal but the results were still dissapointing and·the colours change as objects are moved around the screen. The monitor is OK with the output from a DVD or my test cards generator.

I was just testing to see what the Propeller is capable of and it is unlikely I would need the TV output anyway.· I have now swapped to a VGA CRT monitor and the results using the demo's are much better.