Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Has anyone created an Eagle Library yet? — Parallax Forums

Has anyone created an Eagle Library yet?

MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
edited 2007-08-22 22:52 in Propeller 1
I'm working on one for the Propeller chip, but if its already been done, then I really don't want to waste my time. If not, I should have it finished quickly and available for download.

Comments

• Franz AchatzFranz Achatz Posts: 140
    edited 2007-08-21 07:29
    MarkS said...
    I'm working on one for the Propeller chip, but if its already been done, then I really don't want to waste my time. If not, I should have it finished quickly and available for download.
    Marks,

i have.
    But wat is your question ????
    Are you looking for the·Propeller Eagle Part??

Franz
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-21 16:03
    Franz,

Aside from reading "Make Your Own Board At Home In Your Spare Time For Next To Nothing Using Crayons" articles, I know very little about applying a cad program like Eagle.

What, besides general good will and good intentions, do you need? Like how much does it cost to make a board with this program? Ten boards? Who does a nice job cheap with the cad output?

I gather that your board was done with this program. How complicated an effort was it? Did you use the Lite version?

Fred
    edited 2007-08-21 16:45
    Hi Fred

yes, my boards are all designed by using Eagle. For small boards 100x80mm i use the Light Commercial Version
    for just Euro 49,-. This version shows up with the nice printed Eagle Manuals included.
    For larger prints i use an older 3.5 Prof Version.
    Eagle is very easy to use but of course you need a lot of "feeling" when working with a PCB Cad.
    But this shows up by itself after having done some boards.
    Eagle generates Gerberfiles and Excellon or SM1000/3000 drillfiles. A lot of pcb shops accept directly eagle.brd files.
    > how much does it cost to make·10 boards?
    you mean the costs at the pcb-fab.
    you can check it here: http://www.pcbcart.com

> I gather that your board was done with this program. How complicated an effort was it?
    The easyPROP, in total maybe·5 or·6 workingdays. It was an easy design but its all handrouted.
    I hate autorouters.

best regards
    Franz
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-08-21 17:49
    Fred Hawkins said...
    What, besides general good will and good intentions, do you need? Like how much does it cost to make a board with this program? Ten boards? Who does a nice job cheap with the cad output?

Look at BatchPCB.com - they have a tutorial on how to create the Gerbers, which layers are needed, etc and they will have your board manufactured for $2.50 sq/in plus a nominal setup fee. It's great if you just need a few small boards. But the time involved in ordering from them can be excessive for some people. it can range anywhere from 15 days to a month, just understand that up front, they get alot of people in their forums that complain about the time, even after they were told upfront. They are a division of SparkFun.
    Franz Achatz said...
    Eagle is very easy to use but of course you need a lot of "feeling" when working with a PCB Cad.
    It was an easy design but its all handrouted.
    I hate autorouters.
    I share your feelings about Autorouters, if it's a simple board it may do for beginners, but hand routing is definitely the way to go for more complex work.
    Eagle is difficult to learn at first, but once you work with it for awhile, it becomes second nature, that's true of any CAD program. The thing that takes me the most amount of time is figuring out which library the components I need are in.

I think component selection itself the most time consuming part of designing a board. Looking through a catalog the size of a NYC phone book(mouser) for the perfect connector can be very time consuming! Makes your eyes look like this ---> shocked.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

Post Edited (parts-man73) : 8/21/2007 5:54:45 PM GMT
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2007-08-21 17:52
    Franz Achatz said...
    MarkS said...

Marks,

i have.

But wat is your question ????

Are you looking for the Propeller Eagle Part??

Franz

Yes, I was looking for the library. Sorry, It was 2 AM my time and I had been working on the library since 11 PM. I was getting pretty frustrated and wasn't clear enough. Thanks for the link. I passed that up when I searched CadSoft's site.
    edited 2007-08-21 18:17
    parts-man73 said...

Look at BatchPCB.com - they have a tutorial on how to create the Gerbers, which layers are needed, etc and they will have your board manufactured for $2.50 sq/in plus a nominal setup fee. It's great if you just need a few small boards. But the time involved in ordering from them can be excessive for some people. it can range anywhere from 15 days to a month, just understand that up front, they get alot of people in their forums that complain about the time, even after they were told upfront. They are a division of SparkFun.

you have to look at !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!·http://www.pcbcart.com·!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    You get a "sq/mile" for USD 2.50 :-)

25 boards, 100x80mm, 2 sided, solderstop, silkscreen and tested
    for just 100 Euros (USD 140) all inclusive (shipping, toolingcosts, etc.)
    And not tax, nothing added!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Today ordered and after a week they are ready for shipping via DHL.
    A re-order of the same boards eats just USD 100,- !!!!

br
    Franz

·
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-08-21 18:48
    MarkS,
    I have a short tutorial on how to make single PCBs at home over here:

Please let me know your feedback

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-21 18:50
    For someone just starting out I suggest either going with a high end house such as Advanced Circuits where someone will look over your design and make sure you aren't making errors in your layout (they only check board layout, not whether the circuit itself would work), or if you want a more go it alone route, use batchpcb, you can order a single board and make sure your design works before you start ordering quantities of 25. Of course if you want a bunch of circuit art coasters (read: useless boards)·you can start out ordering large quantities smile.gif .

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 8/21/2007 6:59:13 PM GMT
    edited 2007-08-21 19:00
    Hi Paul,

the chinese guys at www.pcbcart.com do the same. Looking over the board layout and if there is any problem
    they take care and contact the boarddesigner.

The chinese can not build cars and/or machines but they are PERFECT in using our USA and Europe made PCB production machines in offering us a real good price and perfect quality and very good service for our PCB's.
    I am very happy about that.

have fun
    Franz
    edited 2007-08-21 19:05
    ALIBE said...
    MarkS,

Thats a good way to do it, but I prefer the photo method using sensitized boards and developer. I'm about to start work on a Propeller-based aquarium controller and will be sending the board out to a board house. I'm also working on a MC68000-based robot controller (for fun and education) and will be sending that out to a board house. If I were doing a one or two layer board with a few components than I'd probably do it myself.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-21 19:07
    Ah they didnt prominently display that, thanks for the clarification Franz.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-08-21 19:45
    ALIBE said...
    MarkS,

·
    Hi ALIBE,
    nice tutorial.
    Maybe you could apply some nice artwork (silkcreen and solderstop)·to your boards like this one i·handmade last year (i used the "Lackwerke Peters" Foto Silk and Solderscreen chemicals) only the holes are not handdrilled,·i used a PCB CNC machine for it:

a1.jpg

Post Edited (Franz Achatz) : 8/21/2007 7:59:29 PM GMT
    edited 2007-08-21 19:46
    I went ahead and finished my library since I was so close to completion. It includes the DIP, LQFP and QFN packages.

PropellerLib_Sch.jpg
    PropellerLib_Brd.jpg

I've attached the library here and have uploaded it to CadSoft's site, but it will take awhile to show up there. If anyone spots an error (or a bunch) please let me know.
    edited 2007-08-21 19:50
    Nice work, Franz!
    edited 2007-08-21 19:58
    MarkS said...
    Nice work, Franz!
    MarkS, you too, with your eagle lib smile.gif

Franz
    edited 2007-08-22 18:05
    edited 2007-08-22 18:38
    excellent job. When i make a new DIL Prop Board then i will use your new LIB.

Franz
    edited 2007-08-22 19:45
    Thanks! yeah.gif
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2007-08-22 22:52
    I have had one made up for some time now it has all Basic Stamps, and all Propeller chips, here it is

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    We all make mistakes when we are young………That’s why paste is edible!