Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
T6963C Controled LCD display — Parallax Forums

T6963C Controled LCD display

TCTC Posts: 1,019
edited 2007-08-21 03:19 in Propeller 1
Hello all. after learning how to get a 4 X 16 LCD display to work ( Thanks to deSilva for all the help ). I have now moved to an Optrex DMF5005 graphic display. the display is controled by a Toshiba T6963C controler.

My question is, has anyone worked with this controler?

If not, maybe I could get some help. Toshiba recommends that there should be a Status Check befor any byte is to be sent. what I do not understand how to do with the PROP is take a byte and and split it up in to 8 BITs. I know how to do it with PBASIC.

Thanks
TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
We all make mistakes when we are young………That’s why paste is edible!

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-08-21 01:59
    It's been many many years since I used that controller and if it was slow back then, then it must seem even slower now.

Yes, you have to check the status bit so you need to take into account that the lcd is running from +5V and take basic precautions such as using current limit resistors on the data lines. Check the sticky threads which discuss interfacing to +5V logic.

A byte is composed of 8-bits, why do you need to split it? In Spin it is very easy to access a byte from memory or an array and write to the output pins using a range expression. Surely the code you have for the 4x16 lcd gives you more than a clue or two?

I assume you have the datasheet for this controller. I found a copy here:
    home.comet.bg/datasheets/LCD%20Grafical/T6963c.pdf

As with the character lcd you would have found it didn't release any magic smoke simply because of program errors. Keeping that in mind there is nothing holding you back from writing and testing some Spin code to make the graphics lcd work. Start off simple and just try to read the status register and display the value on your serial terminal or whatever you might have for debugging.

*Peter*
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2007-08-21 02:28
    Peter Jakacki said...
    take basic precautions such as using current limit resistors on the data lines.
    I have 1K on the data lines.
    why do you need to split it?
    For the status check. I need to see if STA0 & STA1 = 1. And since I am learning SPIN I can not get a grip on how to do it, yet. with PBASIC I could do somthing like:

temp·· VAR·· byte
    STA0·· VAR·· temp.BIT0
    STA1·· VAR·· temp.BIT1

main bla-bla:
    temp = INL

then I could make the program keep repeating untill STA0 & STA1 = 1
    Surely the code you have for the 4x16 lcd gives you more than a clue or two?

The code I am using does not do much with status checking. it will only put the byte in to result.
    As with the character lcd you would have found it didn't release any magic smoke simply because of program errors. Keeping that in mind there is nothing holding you back from writing and testing some Spin code to make the graphics lcd work. Start off simple and just try to read the status register and display the value on your serial terminal or whatever you might have for debugging.
    Thank you for the confidence. I am using that character lcd for debugging.

Thanks
    TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    We all make mistakes when we are young………That’s why paste is edible!
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-08-21 03:19
    Hi TC,

Try "repeat until INA[noparse][[/noparse]1..0] == 3" or something like this that.

*Peter*