Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
bmp2spin — Parallax Forums

bmp2spin

HHaysHHays Posts: 15
edited 2007-08-20 22:57 in Propeller 1
I was having a bit of a problem getting bmp2spin to work. I searched the forums and found 2 threads where both parties appeared to be having difficulties. For me, the problem stemmed from the examples given in the excellent book, Game Programming for the Propeller Powered Hydra. In both examples given, no space is shown between the end of the filename and the beginning of the flags. Example (Page 629): BMP2SPIN pitfall_tiles_work_03.bmp-B-TW16-TH10-FX-XY1,0.

This is incorrect. One must enter a space between the filename and the beginning of the flag list, as in: BMP2SPIN pitfall_tiles_work_03.bmp -B-TW16-TH10-FX-XY1,0.

Without the space, the program returns a 'File open error!'.

Hopefully this will help some others, as this is a fantastic way to gather assets for your program.

HHays

Comments

• HHaysHHays Posts: 15
    edited 2007-08-19 13:11
    In addition, I was having problems extracting multiple bitmaps - The problem also turned out to be whitespace. The flags must have spaces between them as well. It may have been an issue in the printing of the book.

At any rate, this is sure to save me days of typing. Thanks Andre!
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-19 13:38
    Fine you could identify your problem. But I think you are a little bit unfair:
    (a) A Linux or DOS programmer is so deeply aware of command line syntax that he would not think in his dreams of such a problem.
    (b) When you have a very close look at page 629 you will notice that the dash is a little bit closer to the letters at its right hand side than on its left hand side. Blanks ARE narrow in some fonts!
  • HHaysHHays Posts: 15
    edited 2007-08-19 13:59
    I was simply trying to assist those who were experiencing difficulties. You will note I praised Andre on two occasions. In addition, I noted that it may have been an issue with the publisher. Further, on page 628, it states "the "XYxx,yy flag which doesn't tolerate spaces, so you must type everything right next to each other" - a little misleading

I would think that the primary issue would be to get the stuff to work.

This is why I haven't joined a forum in the past
    edited 2007-08-19 14:05
    Anyhow, it is a good proposal for the second issue of the Hydra book. Although I think this will only happen with a second version of the Hydra board. And I think the Hydra board has to change completely for a second version... But we are very OT now smile.gif
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-08-19 15:42
    Hey HHays,
    Don't let daSilva's comments get you down. Your contribution to the forum is appreciated and your presence welcome.
    edited 2007-08-19 18:08
    Sorry if I sounded otherwise - English is still a mystery to me smile.gif

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/19/2007 6:14:27 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-20 17:06
    This thread is being moved to the Hydra Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-08-20 22:57
    The book is laid out so that long lines sometimes get concatenated. There is space between the flags. When in doubt look at the top of my source files, I always show how to use the tool. Not to mention if worst comes to worse, you can see the parser simply reads tokens seperated by spaces. So if the book looks like it doesn't have a space, there should be one there. I will take a look at the chapter and see what got smushed together in final layout.

Andre'