Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
java@PC <--> TCP/IP <--> propeller — Parallax Forums

java@PC <--> TCP/IP <--> propeller

janbjanb Posts: 74
edited 2007-08-18 18:51 in Propeller 1
Hi,
I was thinking to use IE to sent/receive simple data from/to propeller.
On the PC side I'd do it using java. Could you recommend what kind of (not too expensive) hardware
I need to buy to interface propeller to the internet at my local home network? Is there any spin-code in the pool I could perhaps use as starting example?
The goal is to control propeller performing certain tasks w/ some other hardware.
Any suggestion or advices are welcome
Thanks
Jan

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-08-18 02:36
    How about using a PC with modem emulation software connecting it to the internet?

Here's a link
    http://www.jammingsignal.com/files/

propeller <--> modem-emulator <--> TCP/IP <--> Internet

Oldbit

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-18 08:54
    Jan,

If you aren't absolutely settled on IE, Oldbit's idea is worth considering.

ImageJ is written in Java, completely open sourced, cross-platformed and has everything you need, except a good serial plugin... but there are several limited examples. Wayne Rasband (the author) is as helpful and productive as a person can be. To give you an idea of the range of public domain plugins available... a plugin for doing intra-cellular Ca++ burst measurement was just added. This sort of thing should interest Propeller Imaging Enthusiasts (Parallax PIEs)... because it uses confocal line scanning... which could be just around the corner for some of da guys[noparse]:)[/noparse]

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/index.html

Rich
  • janbjanb Posts: 74
    edited 2007-08-18 17:50
    <!--StartFragment -->·Hi
    thanks for suggestions. From short look at ImagJ (seems to be image processing oriented) and at BBS (allowing info transfer between· external units· and Internet using a PC as· interface).
    I'd like to build sth w/ different topology:

·WORLD <---> Internet <--> home network gateway
    ·propeller <-->· TCP/IP <--> home network
    Java @PC<-->· TCP/IP <--> home network

and use java based GUI on PC to configure propeller - sth similar to configuring
    my home Netgar router by typing in a specific IP in the IE.

I'd like to be able to unplug the unit "propeller <-->· TCP/IP", take it to another place, plug to another· local network and· make it work again.
    Ability to transfer images is not essential at this moment, will be enough to sent strings back and forth at 1kHz.

It is probably good idea to use RX/TX -type of communication between propeller & a TPC/IP hardware.
    propeller <-->RX/TX protocol<-->· TCP/IP <--> home network

Q1: Does it make sense?
    Q2: what kind of hardware I should buy so I can connect· propeller to it and program it to talk to it.
    Q3: is there any software/examples I could start with.

Thanks for help so far
    Jan
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-18 18:27
    Jan,

q1: Sounds like how my printer talks to my dsl router and to me via my browser. (pidgeon-html, ie short and sweet)
    As long as your prop's implementation of ethernet protocol can tak back to the router, give the right answers and then act accordingly, I don't see any impossibilities.
    q2: Franz's board seems like it could do this. Or you could just get the chip that he uses.
    q3: see 2. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=659398

Franz is doing penance this weekend: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=668402

Fred
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2007-08-18 18:42
    Hi janb, I don't know how sophisticated you want your project to be but I have a simple method that uses 3 software components and uses a serial interface to communicate to the processor.

Prop
    >serial
    >PC
    >Webservice
    >Client PC
    >serial
    >Receiving device

There are two requirements

1.Visual Basic Express

2.A Webserver

The VB side·are·two very small simple applications that require only a limited understanding of the IDE, a transmiter and a receiver.

Webservers can be found for free and the one I am using I had recommended to me by a member of the Parallax forums. Requires you configure router ports and firewall settings. Server has its own security configuration

The data is exchanged as a string of any length.

If you feel this would meet your needs I can describe the method in more detail

Jeff T.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-18 18:51
    Jan,

ImageJ can pull from the net... for sure. So you are rock solid on that end. And ImageJ can watch a file... which you can dump to a local computer...from your prop using the terminal.... I don't know enough about protocols to be able to help you on the technical side... I would suggest that you e-mail Wayne Rasband and tell him what you are trying to do... he's amazing and will be more than willing to help you. The exciting part is that once you have figured it all out... the other guys here can use on your solution as a organizational template and then build on their special knowledge and interests.

ImageJ is commonly used as the core of commercial programs. It is still tough to protect proprietary information, but you can bury your abstractions in a jar file so deep that the only ones who can steal from you are people that really don't have to and usually don't. AND if they do... there are two active communities that don't tolerate that kind of nonsense very well.

Thanks for leading on this.

Rich