Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does Timer1 Prescale affect the Serin baud rate? — Parallax Forums

Does Timer1 Prescale affect the Serin baud rate?

gtslabsgtslabs Posts: 40
edited 2007-08-20 17:33 in General Discussion
Does the prescale affect the serin baud rate?

I am using one chip to talk to another.
I just got in my SX48 Protoboard and put this code on it.
However I tried different baud rates for the sending serout and receiving serin with no luck.

I really wanted to send a word but I am still having problems getting a byte to tranfer.

here is an example of my sending code from another brand·chip.·This is on another board.
I have both boards powered by the same source so the ground and levels are the same.
If Key_Value=12 then
 high 1
 pause 200
 SerOut 0, T4800, (B1)
 pause 250
 low 1

endif

and my sx48 code.

DEVICE          SX48, OSCXT1
FREQ            4_000_000

IrLed           VAR     RB.6
frequency var Byte
'frequency var word
delay var word
half_delay var word

PROGRAM Start

Start:
  OUTPUT IrLed      
  Input RA.0
 TIMER1 PRESCALE, 6 ' 6 = 1:64 prescaler
Delay = 62500 / frequency                            ' enable LED output
Half_Delay = 31250 / frequency

TIMER1 PWM, half_Delay, Delay

DO
new:
 If RA.1 = 1 then
 pause 200
 SERIN RA.0, T4800, Frequency, 200, new
' SERIN RA.0, T4800, Frequency_MSB, 200, new
' SERIN RA.0, T4800, Frequency_LSB, 200, new
 watch frequency
 Goto start
 endif

LOOP
  END

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-08-13 22:51
    No the timer prescaler does not affect SERIN.
    You are probably missing the character. You should just loop to new: until the pin goes high.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Teacher: What is the difference between ignorance and apathy ?
    Student: I don't know and I don't care
    Teacher: Correct !
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,940
    edited 2007-08-14 00:00
    I think the problem is with the division operator; when dividing words and the divisor is set to one, the result seems to be 2x what it should be -- I've seen this twice in the last week (this program, like another I worked with, has a work-around when the divisor is 1). The program attached does what you want: waits for a two-byte frequency value from an external host (I used the BS2 on my PDB to test) and sets the TIMER1 PWM mode to the desired frequency with a 50% duty cycle.

Post Edited (JonnyMac) : 8/14/2007 2:09:45 AM GMT
  • gtslabsgtslabs Posts: 40
    edited 2007-08-14 01:42
    Thanks Jon and Bean,
    I got it to work ok except for the 1 hz where I would see it drop to 0.65 hz. I did not try Jon's correction yet.
    But my bigger problem is getting the hard reset to work. It runs fine when I rerun it from the Key and use the reset button.
    But when I remove the power from the 7.5V 800mA wall wart it will not restart.
    I searched these forums and tried some suggested directives but they did not help either. Do I need to set the Fusex directly?

here is my code:
    DEVICE          SX48, OSCXT1,BOR42,wdrt006,sleepclk ' I tried different variations here. I am still on the key.
    FREQ            4_000_000
    IrLed           VAR     RB.6

frequency var word
    delay var word
    half_delay var word
    PROGRAM Start

Start:
    frequency=2
      OUTPUT IrLed      
      Input RA.0
     TIMER1 PRESCALE, 6 ' 6 = 1:64 prescaler
    newstart:
    Delay = 62500 / frequency         
    Half_Delay = 31250 / frequency
    TIMER1 PWM, half_Delay, Delay
    new:
    DO
    loop until RA.1 = 1
     SERIN RA.0, N4800, Frequency_LSB, 500, new
     SERIN RA.0, N4800, Frequency_MSB, 500, new
     Goto newstart
    END

• PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-08-14 01:50
    gtslabs,

When you run code with the SX-Key, you program the chip using the Run->Debug (CTRL-D) menu option. To have the chip run without the SX-Key, you program using the Run->Program (CTRL-P) option. In addition, you need to have an external clock (TTL, resonator, or crystal) attached as you have specified OSCXT1 in your device directive.

Thanks,
    PeterM
    edited 2007-08-14 02:01
    Thanks Peter
    I have always used CTRL-R.
    But wouldn't OSCXT1 work because I am currently using the KEY as the osc source.
    Does powering down and up again disable the key osc?
    edited 2007-08-14 02:01
    I'm running my version of the program on an SX52 Con Carne board with a 4 MHz resonator with no troubles -- why don't you just give it a try? I think you'll find the code is a little cleaner than what you're doing and that, in the long run, is important. As I stated I believe there is a problem with the division operator and you're using it twice -- you could have two errors and you're generating lots of code (division is code heavy). Also, subdividing your program into reusable chunks is always a good idea. And do you expect to have the serial stream fail midway? I think it's a little odd that you get a RTS (request to send) from your external device and then you assume it could timeout; is this really possible?

I've updated my version of the program (see above) so that it uses the RTS.
    edited 2007-08-14 02:04
    JonnyMac said...
    I think the problem is with the division operator; when dividing words and the divisor is set to one, the result seems to be 2x what it should be -- I've seen this twice in the last week (this program, like another I worked with, has a work-around when the divisor is 1).
    Jon,
    · Can you post a small program that demonstrates the error. I will fix it in the next release.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
    edited 2007-08-14 02:07
    I'm running my version of the program on an SX52 Con Carne board with a 4 MHz resonator with no troubles -- why don't you just give it a try? It has some useful code bits (things are divided up) and I've already coded the work-around for the division issue (I also use >> instead of / when possible as this saves a lot of code). I didn't notice that you were using an RTS line in to the SX to signal new data is coming -- I've updated my program to include that.

Post Edited (JonnyMac) : 8/14/2007 2:14:39 AM GMT
    edited 2007-08-14 02:10
    Bean (Hitt Consulting) said...
    on,
    Can you post a small program that demonstrates the error. I will fix it in the next release.

Bean.

If you comment out the IF-THEN section of this subroutine so that just the ELSE statements are active you will see that sending 1 Hz results in an output of 2.

SUB SET_FREQ
      tmpW1 = __WPARAM12                            ' capture freq
      IF tmpW1 = 1 THEN                             ' fix div by 1 problem
        tmpW1 = 31_250
        tmpW2 = 62_500
      ELSE
        tmpW2 = 62_500 / tmpW1                      ' calc units
        tmpW1 = tmpW2 >> 1                          ' set to 50% DC
      ENDIF
      TIMER1 PRESCALE, 6                            ' 1:64
      TIMER1 PWM, tmpW1, tmpW2                      ' activate PWM
      ENDSUB

edited 2007-08-14 02:15
    gtslabs said...
    Thanks Peter
    But wouldn't OSCXT1 work because I am currently using the KEY as the osc source.

Yes, if you power down the key will stop clocking; you can reset by pullig MCLR low, but don't power down the key. Better yet, pop a 4 MHz resonator into your board and use Ctrl+P to program.
    edited 2007-08-14 02:43
    Jon,
    Thanks, I found the problem. I will get it fixed.

The problem occurs when you divide a word value that is > 32767 by 1.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2007-08-14 09:27
    gtslabs said...
    Thanks Peter

Yes, it does. When you power down and up again the key, it performs a reset, and stays in a loop, waiting for a connect string from the SX-Key IDE. As long as you maintain power after Ctrl-R, or Ctrl-K, the SX-Key generates the clock signal, even when you remove the serial cable, or shut down the SX-Key IDE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2007-08-14 13:16
    JonnyMac said...
    ·And do you expect to have the serial stream fail midway? I think it's a little odd that you get a RTS (request to send) from your external device and then you assume it could timeout; is this really possible?
    Jon, I was not sure of the mechanism of how the serial out works. When·a·byte or word is sent out of a serout pin·does it continue to sit there on the sx serin pin until it read? Or is it a one shot signal and goes into electron cyerspace.·That is why I put the RTS condition in so it knew to look for it and then try to time it so I did not miss it. I probably should add some prequalifiers too as in your other example code.
    Steve
    edited 2007-08-14 14:24
    Yes, SEROUT transmits a start bit and eight data bits (with a one bit stop period -- this gives the receiver time to do something with the value); and SERIN, after detecting a start bit, waits for eight data bits. Your hardware sync solution makes things very easy as shown in my example (the hardware replaces the sync string I used before). I don't think you need a timeout because your program is doing nothing except waiting on a new frequency value.
    edited 2007-08-14 15:44
    Jon, should your I/O decleration of "NoPullUp" be a comment? It generates an error as is.
    edited 2007-08-14 16:21
    Nope; you're probably using an old version of the compiler -- make sure you have 1.51.03. The easiest way to check your version is to look at the top line of a list file (Ctrl + L) of a program that does compile. I just downloaded the code from my post and retested; it compiles file (see attached).

Post Edited (JonnyMac) : 8/14/2007 4:26:50 PM GMT
    edited 2007-08-15 13:26
    IS there a way to count these pulses? I need to control the amount of steps.
    My current range of movement would need a 24 bit variable. However if I count every x steps I can probably get it to a 16bit value.
    Is there some internal counter?
    edited 2007-08-15 13:31
    You can use timer2.

TIMER2 EXTERNAL

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.hittconsulting.com

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 8/15/2007 1:37:05 PM GMT
    edited 2007-08-20 17:33
    How do I turn off the Timer1 PWM feature?
    Just make the output an input?
    Then back to output when I want to turn it on again?