Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programing lock-up — Parallax Forums

Programing lock-up

KenBashKenBash Posts: 68
edited 2007-08-14 19:16 in Propeller 1
I use a HP Pavilion laptop with Windows XP for my Prop development.· If I have a communication problem with the Prop ( no power, pulled cable, etc, ) my system will give me a message about searching for the Propeller on COM25,· and then lock up.·

My system still runs, but the Propeller Development program will not re-connect with the·programmer ( I'm currently using the USB2SER for this board, but the·Propclip does the same thing ) ·I have to physically shut-down my computer, power down everything, and bring it all back up to re-establish programing capability.·· Is there something I'm doing wrong or another way to re-establish communication without having to do a complete shut-down?

Changing USB ports, restarting Spin·etc doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for any help

KB

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
" Anything worth doing... is worth overdoing. "

··············································· ( R.A.H. )
····································

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-13 18:06
    Do you have a bluetooth adapter on your system?

If not, how long has your system been running before you notice this happen?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • KenBashKenBash Posts: 68
    edited 2007-08-14 19:16
    Hi Paul,

I have a bluetooth NOW, but this has been a problem since before I got the adapter.

However....

I've found that if I exit Spin, re-enter spin, then hit F8 to compile the program then dump it to ram or eeprom, this seems to be resetting the function that looks for the port and gets around the need for a complete reset.

I had another fun one today. I've got an RS-232 function dumping data down to a servo motor drive. I had it working fine yesterday... then today it was all messed up. It would work for a bit... then not work. I spent the entire day tracing and chasing down everything to do with the DS232 adaptor chip. Different/more caps, etc, etc, etc. I hooked up a tap to let me watch the output with Hyperterminal, sure enough, the 232 data was sporatic. I found out that touching the circuit board in certian ways (and pressing both knees against my metal desk.... ) made the 232 data function just fine.

IT TURNS OUT THAT YOUR FUNCTION THAT APPENDS THE ERROR MESSAGE TO CODE WHEN YOU EXIT SPIN IMPROPERLY HAD COMMENTED OUT MY CLOCK AND CRYSTAL SETUP FUNCTION AND I HADN'T NOTICED IT. ALL THAT SKINNERIAN CONDITIONING STUFF I WAS DOING WAS WORKING BECAUSE IT WAS TWEEKING THE PROCESSOR FREQUENCY A BIT WHICH GOT IT INTO THE CORRECT BAUD RANGE.

SIGH.

KB

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    " Anything worth doing... is worth overdoing. "

··············································· ( R.A.H. )
    ····································