Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Machine Language Tutorial? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Machine Language Tutorial?

2»

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-16 08:44
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Fred, what you are requesting is impossible for Von Numen SW-RISC architectures. Von Numen architectures have equal size data and instruction busses because these busses are one in the same. Single width RISC architectures have by design exactly 1 instruction per fetch/execution, and according to the research of Andrew S. Tanenbaum (one of the most respected individuals in computational theory) SW-RISC is the most efficent means of computing both in terms of reduced ALU complexity and program execution.

Beyond the debatable nature of efficency, and the merits and demerits of CPU architecture, what you want to do is absolutely possible as is. In essence what you are asking for is a MOV R1, #32 bit constant. You are thinking that this has to be done as two consecutive 32 bit locations in cog memory (MOV instruction followed by a 32 bit constant). But·these two locations dont·have to be consecutive. The following bit of code accomplishes the same thing with no loss of function or space:

MOV R1, Constant 
    Constant LONG $0123_4567

Nicely explained. And if I am careful about·changing Constant, I think I can even skip the MOV R1,Constant.

·
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-08-16 15:21
    Fred,
    Now that Paul has explained how to do the moral equivalent of a double-word load immediate instruction, I hope you will
    1. Re-update your poster, and
    2. Lower your hand [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Michael
    edited 2007-08-16 17:04
    Michael,
    Paul's points deserve a new page, but I am still chewing them over.
    F
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-08-16 19:52
    Like what you are doing deSilva. Being of quasi-German origin (Swedish, that is) I do not have any problem following your language (the tutorials are a little tough, though). I especially admire your linguistic invention "contemporaneousness" (Gleichzeitigkeit?) but am not so sure everyone does understand.

Oh, yes. Graham. Nota Bene is Latin for "Read My Lips" (or rather "Please Note Well")

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-16 20:04
    Skogsgurra said...
    I especially admire your linguistic invention "contemporaneousness" (Gleichzeitigkeit?) but am not so sure everyone does understand.

They should put the Webster under their pillar:
    Main Entry: con·tem·po·ra·ne·ous
    Pronunciation: k&n-"tem-p&-'rA-nE-&s
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin contemporaneus, from com- + tempor-, tempus time
    : existing, occurring, or originating during the same time
    synonym see CONTEMPORARY
    - con·tem·po·ra·ne·ous·ly adverb
    - con·tem·po·ra·ne·ous·ness noun

edited 2007-08-16 20:06
    Skogsgurra said...
    Like what you are doing deSilva.
    Oh, yes - and thank you !
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-08-16 20:36
    deSilva said...

They should put the Webster under their pillar:

As long as they have mastered the more simple words like pillow first yeah.gif
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-08-16 21:35
    That's how we furriners are. Simple mistakes.

BTW, putting Webster's under a pillar may not be such a bad idea...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-08-18 08:38
    I am improving these postings from time to time, wrt to typos and style, and sometimes add small sections. But I do not really need this information in English - I need it in German! At the moment my master file is badly snychronized to these postings. I have to become clear again, before I shall continue this thread. I hope I can produce a compilation in a PDF this weekend, so it can be accessed easier than by scrolling postings and will not fall into oblivion

I received valuable feedback from "hippy" and Fred Hawkins, pointing out a "gap" between Chapter 1 and 2. This is true. In fact I intended to address a level as in Chapter 2; Chapter 1 started as a "preface".

But I have to fill this gap for my own dark purposes - when I find time for further translations you will see them, of course!

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/18/2007 11:38:59 AM GMT
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-08-18 11:16
    @ deSilva

Great tutorial and a great source of information!

This has already helped me and I would like to say a big Thank you for taking your precious time to share your knowledge with others.

Best regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-08-18 11:35
    Thank you, Coley - we authors need this kind of feed back from time to time smile.gif
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-08-18 20:43
    These are just excellent!

Much appreciated deSilva.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    edited 2007-08-18 22:05
    Bnf eh? I'll bet you had courses where they made you do that [noparse]:)[/noparse] The rest of us onion peelers merely note it down to yet another thing we SHOULD know about and keep on skinning down. Eventually, we stop somewhere between microcode and electrons, realize we know nothing, 20 kilos rounder, lots paler, and needing new clothes that fit. Redemption may take the form of frendly turtle-bot that chases bullmastiffs around the house. At least I hope so.

Nice series, btw. Can I print it out now?

Fred
    edited 2007-08-18 22:51
    Fred Hawkins said...
    Can I print it out now?

Finally! You can!

But I start a new thread for it...

I found LOTS of typos, bad English, and even some minor misconceptions when reformatting it. Killed many of that, certainly not all, and I think I will delete these postings in this thread when I find the time... Impossible to fix it all here...