Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Choosing to learn with the Propeller vs Basic Stamp - Support of new beginner f — Parallax Forums

Choosing to learn with the Propeller vs Basic Stamp - Support of new beginner f

W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
edited 2007-08-09 17:34 in Propeller 1
I think the Propeller is going to be attracting more and more beginners. It is not uncommon to read a post where someone describes what they want to do then asks if the Basic Stamp is appropriate. Much of the time the response is that the Propeller is the way to go. I have moved away from the Basic Stamp because my goal is something that it cannot do. However, I certainly have not mastered PBasic. Never the less I have made a commitment to learning the Propeller. I chose the Propeller because I am impressed by and supportive of Parallax's educational philosophy. When researching microcontrollers I have found no one that even comes close to their level of dedication to making the world of programming and robotics accessible to the common person.

Everything that I have learned about computers, programming and robotics is self taught. That means zero time spent in computer science classes and zero time earning a living with anything to do with programming. This is not the case with many (most?) of you on the Propeller forum. I am happy to post my newbie questions here, but I wonder how the more experienced of you will feel about your forum being filled with beginner questions. At times it feels to me that there is an attitude of 'if you have to ask maybe you shouldn't be here'. Which is probably true in some cases, maybe my case. A Forum for people new to programming who chose the Propeller to learn on would be great in my opinion.

I predict that there will be a steady increase of Propeller newbie questions, largely because of people like myself.

Comments