Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
radio data transmitter fo SX chip — Parallax Forums

radio data transmitter fo SX chip

HenrymouHenrymou Posts: 128
edited 2007-08-09 05:51 in General Discussion
I have experimented with robot data transmition techniques, I have used sonar, infared, ultrasound, and normal sound. All of these ways of transmitting data between SX chips are useless, Is there ANY way I can make a simple data transmitter without using pre-bought radio transmitters and recevers? I want the data to travel at least 100 ft. pleazse give me a schematic if u have one.
thanks
-Henry

Comments

• John CoutureJohn Couture Posts: 370
    edited 2007-08-08 21:07
    It really is easier to buy an RF module than to try to design one yourself. Parallax has modules in the $30 range that take simple serial input. If you want to get a little more basic than that try a Radiotronix module (about $3, 509-RCT-433-AS at www.mouser.com). These will require more chips to interface with your TTL logic but that is about as cheap as you can get.

Another thing to consider is that speed and distance are inversly proportional. The faster you want to transmit the shorter the distance that you can go with a given transmitter / receiver setup.

Thus,
    1) how fast (i.e. how much data do you need to transmit in a give period of time)
    2) how far
    3) how much time do you want to spend on the transmitter / receiver circuitry vs. the robot circuitry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John J. Couture

San Diego Miramar College
  • HenrymouHenrymou Posts: 128
    edited 2007-08-09 05:24
    Ok sweet, I checked them out. But seriously, I'm the adventurous type, I wouldn't mind if you showed me a schematic for a transmitter and recever that uses TTL or CMOS logic. I would be happy building it myself
  • HenrymouHenrymou Posts: 128
    edited 2007-08-09 05:51
    actually, forget that. I just went to LINX technologies, and once I learn how to use their products, I can start transmitting serial data to my robots for less than $10 per robot. Might I add that your transmitters and recevers are based on their technologies. so they should operate as well and be just as easy to learn about. bye
    -Henry