Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Linux and prop? — Parallax Forums

Linux and prop?

TrezitorulTrezitorul Posts: 68
edited 2007-08-09 08:22 in Propeller 1
Is there any way to run the prop tool in linux. I attemped using wine and the program sucessfully started but then when I tested the hardware connection a text box appeared and said that no serial ports were detected. confused.gif

p.s.
I am using ubuntu linux.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-08-08 19:18
    I haven't been able to run it under Wine. There's a commercial version of Wine by CodeWeavers that includes a bunch of DLLs and other stuff to help compatibility and I did get the Propeller Tool to mostly run under that ... at least to compile a program. I couldn't get the serial stuff to work either. You can compile and save the compiled binary, then download that using a Python downloader that's been posted here. It's not a clean solution, but it's better than nothing.
  • TrezitorulTrezitorul Posts: 68
    edited 2007-08-08 19:28
    Thanks but how exactly do you save the compiled binary? Also what do you mean by "Python downloader that's been posted here" where exactly is here.

Thanks for the response
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-08-08 19:44
    Try here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=622354.
    There are all kinds of useful threads linked from the "sticky threads" at the top of the Propeller Forum thread list.
    Whenever anyone mentions that something has been posted here before ... look on those "sticky threads".

The compiler allows you to save the binary output from the Info window after a compile.
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-08-08 23:37
    I rememeber someone said Virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) works since it performs USB pass thru, like Parallels does. It looks easy enough to use. Just remember that you will need a usb to serial port adapter, like the propplug / propclip since it only performs usb pass thru.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-08-09 05:57
    I use VMWare Server (free) to run winblows xp, I know you need a winblows licence, but the notebook I use came with it, so no problem. Till a replacement spin compiler is done, using the Propeller Tool is the only solution :-(, help us build a new spin compiler, if you know lex or yacc smile.gif
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2007-08-09 08:22
    The issue with serial under WINE is due to the way the Propeller software enumerates the serial ports. I've found a number of workaround so far that may get this to work, but I'm stuck at the moment where after the 1st run of the Propeller software it harpoons my WINE font configuration and makes everything unreadable. I then have to blow away ~/.wine and start again. I use Virtualbox with the prop demo board and prop plug here. It works flawlessly.
    Having said that, I will continue to beat on WINE as time permits to get the software running properly.

Propterminal ran ok under WINE using the same serial connections, so I know WINE can access the ports correctly.