Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
little project ... - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

little project ...

Comments

• elecnoobelecnoob Posts: 123
    edited 2007-08-15 18:41
    i have the propeller board ..
    but my question is do i have to cannect some extra wires to supply the chip ..
    because i'm looking for that .. but i can't find it in manuals or datacheet's ..
    in the datacheet
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-08-15 19:13
    Which Propeller board? There are several now.

What do you mean by "supply the chip"? Do you mean power supply? Are you asking about the speaker, switches, LEDs?

Have a look at the Propeller Education Kit tutorials which you can download. They give examples of such things.
    edited 2007-08-15 19:33
    i have the propellor proto baord .
    and bij the chip i mean the propellor chip
    and indeed i mean the power supply
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-15 19:33
    This threat (pardon me: thread) is a perfect example for one of the classes I am looking forward to.
    I surely can use it in Germany without fear of beeing prosecuted by lawyers for it...
    Or maybe I shall rather change the name of the persons involved, for safety reasons?
    edited 2007-08-15 19:34
    so what do you want to do with it ?
    because i don't understand it completely
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-08-15 19:37
    elecnob,

The propeller manual shows the schematic for the demoboard you will see that power is already supplied to the chip. All you need to do is plug in the power adapter.

Graham
    edited 2007-08-15 19:39
    graham ,
    canyou please give me the page of that schema?
    because i went true it all but didn't found a thing .. ( damn i really need to get my englisch better and i need to learn how to search )
    edited 2007-08-15 19:43
    Sorry my mistake you will find it on this page:

http://www.parallax.com/propeller/media.asp

most important resources can be found by starting at the main propeller page:

http://www.parallax.com/propeller/index.asp

Graham
    edited 2007-08-15 19:44
    p.s. Your english seems pretty good but I think you rush typing it.
    edited 2007-08-15 19:49
    i mean that i don't understand all of it ..
    from the manual and stuff ... and sometimes i ask stupid questions ( srry for that )

i'm gladd that you gave me this .. but that is about the Propeller Demo Board and i'm looking for the propellor proto board ..
    so i cant' use this schema
    edited 2007-08-15 20:27
    You really need to do your own searching. Parallax almost always posts the schematic of a board or other device on the webpage for the device. Go to the webstore page for the Protoboard and you will find a link to the schematic/documentation.
    edited 2007-08-15 20:33
    i know ... and i need to do better searching .. but because of my bad englische i somethimes don't understand it 100% percent ..
    besides http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/Propeller-ProtoBoard-v1.1.pdf
    on this site the give a schema .. but here are already thing attatched ( or how do you write this )
    so i didn't know if the connection is already made ...
    edited 2007-08-15 20:56
    What do you mean by "if the connection is already made"? You will have to identify what "thing" is.
    If you don't know the word, describe what it does or what you think it does. Make a drawing if you
    have to and attach it to your message.
    edited 2007-08-15 21:00
    ok srry
    if you open the site .. and you scroll down a little you see a schema of the board .. that's all good ..
    but if you look closer you see that there is an vga-conector is attatched to the board and the mouse and keyboard connector is also attatched
    and you see that the power supply also is arranged ...
    but the vga-, mouse, and keyboard are optional connection parts
    so now i'm wondering if the power supply also is an extra on the schema or is it made like this...
    ( i hope you understand what i mean )
    edited 2007-08-15 21:07
    If you look carefully at the schematic, you will see that some of the parts are contained within dotted lines. These parts are the ones included in the Accessory Kit (except for the USB2SER connector). All the others are part of the Protoboard. The USB2SER connector is something you would need to supply. It's normally not needed.
    edited 2007-08-15 21:09
    i have the USB2SER connector .. this is how i'm gone put my program in the propellor chip tongue.gif
    ok tnx for that information .. that is a thing i didn't knew .. tnx
    edited 2007-08-21 21:46
    hey ..
    i hav e a question about the proppellor clip
    i have installed all the software they ask eme to .. the wizard says it's installed succesfully ..
    then i go to the propellor tool and try
    run ==> indentefy hardware .. and he says he can't find the propellor chip

( and yes i have the power on tongue.gif )
    edited 2007-08-21 21:50
    Mike, it's your turn again smile.gif
    edited 2007-08-21 21:51
    so desilva .. you don't know it ? or i'm i asking a stupid question [noparse]:s:[/noparse]s
    edited 2007-08-21 22:09
    @elecnoob
    I feel really sheepish... No, I don't.
    I think you have to fix these kinds of problems yourself...
    Form ideas how things work, electronics in the first place, computers,....
    Read books about it... the Manual... Try out things..
    Then understand...
    edited 2007-08-21 22:41
    i want to fix it on my own ... i'm trying to from 20.00 and now it's 0.40 .. so i really don't know it anymore ..
    i searced on the site of parallax .. in the manual .. but i can't find a thing

can there be something i forgot .. or i don't know ...
  • Franz AchatzFranz Achatz Posts: 140
    edited 2007-08-21 22:56
    my electronic skills are not the best but please let me guess:

a) your clip is not clipping
    b) broken cable
    c) bad powersupply
    d) no powersupply
    e) propeller chip is burned
    f) PC USB Port is damaged
    g) Your Windows-system is corrupted
    h) user handling problem

best regards
    Franz
    edited 2007-08-21 23:46
    Franz is absolutely correct ... the list of possible problems that can result in Identify or downloading not working is very long.

Make sure you have a current version of the FTDI driver ... download a fresh copy from their website if you're not sure.

If you can, measure the power supply voltage at the Propeller chip or the output of the regulator. It should be 3.3V.

Double and triple check your wiring ... particularly that of the reset circuitry and the programming port. The PC has to be able to reset the Propeller by toggling DTR or Identify and downloading won't work.
    edited 2007-08-22 15:54
    ok i found what the problem was .. i had my adaptor fot the power suplly on 3volt so it was impossible to generate 3.3 volt . .so my propellor chip hadn't enouf power
    thnx again .. ( these are just supid this i'm sorry to bother you with it !! that's why i'm still a noob tongue.gif)
    edited 2007-08-22 16:11
    what does the program mean by the variable needs an operator??
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-22 17:34
    elecnoob,

It sounds like you are talking about an error message in the Propeller Tool. It sounds like you don't have a complete statement.
    The Tool will highlight the place that the error occurs.

Rich
    edited 2007-08-22 18:05
    elecnoob said...
    what does the program mean by the variable needs an operator??
    Hello elecnoob,

when i made my very first Propeller steps i consulted the Propeller Manual.
    You can download it at the Parallax Website or you can find it within the
    Propeller Tool Software under Help >>>> Propeller Manual (PDF).
    I know, its written in english but its written in an english that everybody can
    understand. Its easy to read and the included examples are perfect for a first step to go.

Please read this manual and you will see that everything is just easy.
    But you have to read it yourself.

have fun
    Franz

·
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-22 18:47
    Elecnoob,

Everything is easy ... once you understand it. I read through the manual first, but what really helped me was the labs in the education kit... just follow the links from the Prop products page. Try Franz's advice... but don't get too frustrated.

The best way to learn the Prop is the Education Kit... but the way to really stay excited enough is to take the demo board for a spin.

You should have both. Another good way to learn is to get a couple of buddies with the same interests (and experience) and try to learn it together. One of you will understand part of it... the other will understand the other part of it. Be the first to start a Propeller Club in your hemisphere.

Another good way to learn is to pick a project that you really want to do... that way, you don't have the feeling that you need to know everything, you just need to know enough to get your project done.

There will eventually be a tutorial for young beginners. Right now... you sort of have to jump in where it makes most sense to jump in.

You are almost there.

Never give up.

Rich
    edited 2007-08-22 21:58
    franz tnx for the information .. but i read the manual 2 times already ..
    and i found my mistake .. so now it's just the programming of the hole t hing tongue.gif
    i'm beginning to understand it .. so let us hope .. i make it from here as good as possible .. tnx for everthing .. end next week i want to finisch it .. so the result will be on this page then ..
    if i have more question and i really can't find them .. i will ask you guys ... but i think i'm getting to star t to know it [noparse];)[/noparse]

tnx for verything [noparse];)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-08-22 22:23
    elecnoob,

thats a very good idea and we all will have a look at your finished project, then.
    Just take your time, do some readings, and i am sure that it will work out great for you.

br
    Franz